Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 11:54:33 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DC and dotNet  (Read 2921 times)
oblivion
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »

Since installing the recent dotNet security patches, my poor netbook's been beside itself.

First, Windows lost its activation, and I had to redo it.

Next, ALL my DC software stopped working. CHS, FARR and LaunchBar Commander, and even DCUpdate won't run.

I hate Microsoft sometimes.

Anyone have any helpful ideas? (Win7 Starter, patched up to date -- unfortunately!)

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »

I dont know why any of the DC software should stop running -- none of them use dotNet.
oblivion
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

I dont know why any of the DC software should stop running -- none of them use dotNet.
No, I know. But the dotNet security patches are almost always a complete  thumb down to install without impacting lots of other stuff. Last time I did them without thinking, lots of stuff -- including DC software -- broke so I just ran a system restore and hid the updates. After the event I discovered Susan Bradley's PatchWatch recommending not doing them for pretty much those reasons... and then I find that she's now saying the October 13 .net4 patches can't really be skipped.

Here's the link.

So I bit the bullet. And my teeth now hurt quite a bit, if you see what I mean.

I'd sort of hoped that someone here might have had a similar experience and have some idea of which bit of Windows I can chuck rocks at to make everything work properly again.

I'll let you know if I work out how to fix it. I haven't yet braved the system logs, so that's my next stop.  Cry

...and a quick first look suggests a common problem: ntdll.dll is what Windows says is falling in a heap.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:27:56 PM by oblivion; Reason: addendum » Logged

-- bests, Tim

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »

Have a read here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ast...ve/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

It might help... YMMV.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
oblivion
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »

It might help... YMMV.
It might -- thanks!  Thmbsup

I've been struggling with the thing all evening and am getting nowhere fast; the link you posted suggests (from the last page) that if I rip out everything that's not intrinsic to the OS then try installing .Net framework 4 on its own, it might do the trick. I'll give it a go -- but for the time being, as tomorrow's already booked for Christmas shopping  Sad I'll boot it into ubuntu and go back to Microsoft-bashing on Friday.  smiley

-- bests, Tim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.22 ]