topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone Using OmniPage and PaperPort?  (Read 39060 times)

OCRman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone Using OmniPage and PaperPort?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 03:51 AM »
Hi guys

I was searching for some info for a review that I'm doing on the current batch of OCR software and this post came up!
I haven't seen this site before, but I've had a bit of a poke around now - very interesting and useful stuff..

If you are interested, the review will be posted at http://www.ocrreview.com.

I've already posted some of the testing results there for Adobe Acrobat 8, ABBY Finereader 8 Pro, Omnipage Pro 16 and IRIS ReadIris Pro 11 Corporate ed..
The formatting of converted docs was an area I particularly wanted to test, and there was quite a bit of difference between them.

Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated!

OCRman

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 04:02 AM »
Looks interesting OCRman, and welcome.  I will be very interested when you get to some of the cheaper and free alternatives, i don't do a lot of OCR work but its incredibly frustrating when you know thats what you need, but the price is just way too much for the amount of use versus other more important things. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 05:07 AM »
Great work OCRman -- and please let us know when the review is complete.

OCRman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 05:09 AM »
Grorgy, there are some freebies available, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet:

SimpleOCR - http://www.simpleocr.com/Download.asp
GOCR (Open Source) - http://jocr.sourceforge.net/
Tesseract OCR - Open Source - get a frontend here http://softi.co.uk/tess.htm
M$ Office - Microsoft Office Document Imaging (under Office Tools if you have Office installed!)

OCRman

OCRman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 05:13 AM »
I've added the formatting testing to the site for your consumption - thought it could be useful considering the content of this post so far...

http://www.ocrreview.com

OCRman

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 06:09 AM »
Looks like a good job OCRman - I'll be interested to read your conclusions.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23 AM »
Wow! Thanks for posting here ocrman. I'm very interested in reading the final review.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I've got PaperPort 11 (not Pro) and OmniPage 15 Pro both at home and at work. I've got a Canon 5000F flatbed scanner at home and a Canon 2050c document scanner on my desk at work. I do quite a bit of scanning at both places, but what I really use PaperPort more for is document management - and mostly for documents that are not scanned, but are typical text document, spreadsheet, PowerPoint type files that either I or my colleagues created.

Once you've told PaperPort what drives and folders to look in on your computer or network, it displays thumbnails for the files it finds - not just stuff that it scanned.  It knows how to display quite a few file types. Because I organize my files in folders by project or technology, I can usually get to the folder I need pretty easily - then it's just a case of browsing the thumbnails until I recognize the file I'm looking for. At that point you can display a larger view of it in the internal viewer, or you can open it in its normal program. There are buttons for the normal file manager functions like arranging by name, size, date, type, etc, but you can also drag the thumbnails around on the screen to arrange them differently.

There is a file indexing and search function (All-in-One-Search), but I've found it to be pretty slow. I think that if it runs into pdf files that are images rather than documents, it tries to do an OCR first and then index the file. I normally use Copernic or something like that if I need to search for text in a file.

It does also have some basic image editing/enhancing functions, but I don't use them.

I've used OmniPage once in a while - for basic documents it works fairly well, but if there are very many fonts, columns, images, tables, etc - it has problems.

I can't remember which, but either PaperPort or OmniPage came bundled with the PDF Creator and PDF Converter - both version 3. I've used PDF converter a few times on simple documents. When I'm reseachting stuff on the web, I'll frequently send selected parts of web pages to the pdf printer driver and save the selections as individual pdf files. It's nice because they are searchable. Later, if I need to, I'll convert them back into a text document from which I can cut-and-paste. I also get quite a few protected pdf files, and it won't open them.

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

OCRman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 07:05 AM »
Update for you all:

I've put a feature comparison matrix for the major OCR software players on my blog:
http://www.ocrreview.com

I don't think I'll attempt that again with WordPress though  :-\

OCRman

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Hi OCRman,

Thanks for the link to the comparison matrix! I've just taken a look and it's very comprehensive. Very nice  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12 PM »
SimpleOCR - http://www.simpleocr.com/Download.asp

has anyone tried SimpleOCR? it claims to be "the only royalty free OCR engine!", whatever that means.. but how about the performance? i already have ScanSoft OmniPage SE bundled with my scanner but i'm on the look-out for a more quick and simple type..

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 09:34 AM »
I've been using PaperPort 11 for quite a while (I think the last version was 2006!), but have been waiting for an upgrade since version 11 doesn't seem to handle MS Office 2007 files very well (only displays an icon rather than a thumbnail of the file).

Nuance has just sent me an offer to upgrade to the new PaperPort 12, but the upgrade price is $100! (discount from the regulular $200 price) Probably a little to steep for me right now.

Has anyone use it yet? Can it display the Office 2007 file thumbnails?
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07 AM »
dspelley

Thanks for this news - I too use Paperport 11(not Prof):

Its USD 69.99 for plain Paperport 12 Upg(not Prof) :
http://shop.nuance.c...;productID=156817900

and USD 149.99 for 12 Prof Upg:
http://shop.nuance.c...;productID=156818800

Promo offer is for 12 Professional Upg @ USD 99.99.

Not sure about Office 2007 thumbnails, sorry !

SKA
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:24 AM by SKA »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Re: Paperport 12 Pro, here's the first review that I've seen (from AppScout): http://www.appscout....rt_12_pdf_organi.php.

It doesn't specifically state, but implies, that Office 2007 files are now shown as thumbnails.