topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Small pictures when pasting into a new e-mail  (Read 7381 times)

Mithias

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Small pictures when pasting into a new e-mail
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:43 AM »
Hey Mouser,

I've got an issue with the latest version of Screenshot captor (I am a donor but for some reason my status shows as visitor again!)

When I capture an image either by fullscreen, active window of selected region and then goto paste that image into a new rich-text e-mail, the pasted image looks shrunkered and awkward, heres an example:

Screenshot - 15_08_2007 , 16_40_21.jpg

Now if I use a html e-mail I dont get the same problem, so half of me thinks its an outlook issue (also since I know someone else who doesn't have this issue). Just wondered if you knew what this could be? I edit e-mails using outlooks own editor (strangely it works fine on a vista machine I also use).

any ideas?

Thanks,

Mithias

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Small pictures when pasting into a new e-mail
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:32 AM »
this has been discussed before, it's due to the DPI setting of the images.

to change this, what you want to do is go to the Screenshot Captor options and change the DPI of captured images to something like 72:
Screenshot - 8_15_2007 , 11_27_32 AM.png

ps. this will only effect new captures -- if you want to fix this for a capture made before now, select the image and change the dpi from the specialFX menu:
Screenshot - 8_15_2007 , 11_29_19 AM.png

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Hey Mouser. I've seen lots of replies about ScreenshotCaptor and DPI settings - so I now understand what's going on, but it's minicap, not SC, that I'm having a problem with. 

Is there any way to set DPI for minicap? 

While writing down all the things that didn't make sense about the magnification level needed to get the image back to normal (313%)... it hit me: minicap is capturing at 300dpi, and sure enough, 313% of 96 == 300. I'm guessing that 300dpi is the default value in windows or some library you are using, for clipboard images? Even if you don't add a setting in minicap to adjust DPI, could you change the default to 96 (the usual value for XP)... or query the O/S for the current display's DPI?  (I know, that could get tricky, e.g. across multiple displays set to different values - if that's even possible with Windows).

I don't take many screenshots, so I don't normally keep anything running just for that.  And while I really love FARR (the most used 3rd party program I use with XP - bar none), I still prefer MWSnap to ScreenshotCaptor when doing more than minicap is suited to.  It may seem silly, but the one thing I find lacking in SC is a primary toolbar (one for main actions, not the paint widget tool pallete).  If not for that, I'd have dumped mwsnap a long time ago.  Reviewing the features again, SC is definitely more capable than MWsnap in other respects.

Maybe this sums it up better... there's no one-click way to trigger a capture with SC (hold-drag-release on a menu doesn't count :P )...  it just doesn't "feel" as smooth when compared to the other tool.

I'll probably go back to minicap for the occasional captures I do... now that I've found the right image "zoom" level to use in office apps.

FYI, the only thing I've found "wrong" in SC so far are some of the controls not looking quite right with XP styles. Prime example is the preview window - the tabs for Zoom/Nav are styled (for XP), but are too small to allow the text to show up, and even the rounded glass effect is clipped.  It might look a bit dated without theme/style support, but it definitely looks more polished that way (as your screenshots look).  With styles enabled, the GUI appearance is very inconsistent.  There are other interface issues too... like when you start resize the window smaller than the contained controls... they get clipped, instead of forcing a minimum window size.  And the gradients on the various menu/toolbar areas don't mesh well...resulting in a busier interface than if they were all flat.

Screenshot - 11_2_2011 , 8_19_29 PM.png

So...  I'd give minicap a 10/10 rating if not for the dpi issue with Office apps (and others).

SC, 8/10 strictly on aesthetics (-1 for lack of main toolbar, and -1 for appearance). If it had a user customizable toolbar, I'd give it 11/10.  :D

I hope I don't come across as "bashing"' your app... it's truly not meant that way. Constructive criticism is more like it... with the hope that either minicap gets DPI fixed... or SC gets at least a default "capture" button (user selectable for which mode) in the main window. :)

I also just noticed that I missed out on donating anything to DC last year... an oversight that I've already corrected.

Thanks again for the amazing work (for your apps AND the DC site in general).

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:15 PM »
Hi Jim!

We're all about constructive criticism here -- it's much appreciated.

First things first -- would a commandline dpi option for minicap be useful?

or SC gets at least a default "capture" button

isn't everyone using SC via hotkey on keyboard? it's hard to imagine any other real way to use it.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:25 AM »
isn't everyone using SC via hotkey on keyboard? it's hard to imagine any other real way to use it.

I admit to also using it via the tray area icon -- as I didn't find a default key sequence for "Restore main window".

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:10 AM »
A cmdline option for minicap, to set dpi would be perfect.

As for hotkey and SC... yeah, I know that's the typical use... probably 99+% of people would use it that way. But most of my capturing is regions, not window/object/fullscreen... so point-click feels more natural, especially for the less frequent use (don't have to think about what the hotkey is or navigate a menu to get to the desired action).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:47 AM »
A cmdline option for minicap, to set dpi would be perfect.

easy to add, i'll try to get a new version out by the weekend.

perlguy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Sweet.  Much appreciated.