Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 12:24:42 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use any Desktop Theme Software on Windows?  (Read 14081 times)
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 02:28:24 AM »

Interestingly the very first uxtheme.dll patch came from the styleXP crowd. I recall back then that they marketed their program to beginners but offered a patched dll as a download for 'experienced' users.

In fact their app really just performed the same patching but did so in ram making it a temporary change.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 02:35:10 AM »

I have been using Stardock software for 10 years, and I often have windows blinds on - although usually on a more minimalistic, feature rich skin than on eye candy  undecided
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 08:09:58 AM »

I purchased WindowBlinds today so I can use this cool theme.

Here is a screenshot of my computer:

scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

I swear for Allure (to patch uxtheme in-memory) and the Foton Compact visual style when I'm ok, and the XXL High contrast colourscheme when I can't see.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »

i'm curious about Allure, if the patching is done in memory. what will happen when the user reboots with a non-standard theme/style? i couldn't find any info on this at their site.

scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

i'm curious about Allure, if the patching is done in memory. what will happen when the user reboots with a non-standard theme/style? i couldn't find any info on this at their site.

You get the standard windows theme for a second, and then allure kicks in and you get your custom theme.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »

not me -- i prefer the plain minimalist windows 2000 (Windows Classic) theme.  makes me feel all calm inside smiley

fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

not me -- i prefer the plain minimalist windows 2000 (Windows Classic) theme.  makes me feel all calm inside smiley
I had the same thoughts for years but since I found SlanXP2 theme I changed my mind...

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »

I try many but keep ending back with Royale Noir
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »

not me -- i prefer the plain minimalist windows 2000 (Windows Classic) theme.  makes me feel all calm inside smiley
I had the same thoughts for years but since I found SlanXP2 theme I changed my mind...
SlanXP2 theme looks good,
maybe a bit dark for my taste http://lassekongo83.devia...m/art/SlanXP-2-0-51492944

I usually use the classic theme as well - but I dont like the default grey especially, and I tend to mess around with the colours on top every now & again

Tom
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

2tomos
Slan was too dark for me at the beginning but I've used to it.

Or maybe I had some predispositions for it? AFAIR I had always had "black to red" colour set for title bar and black desktop wallpaper within Classic theme.

P.S. Where are you working? I could swear that I saw the same settings as yours on some training video recently Wink

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »

P.S. Where are you working? I could swear that I saw the same settings as yours on some training video recently Wink

they must have copied from one of my screenshots here at dc Wink

macs also use a very lite grey -
maybe they copied me too cheesy

Tom
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »

I don't use any desktop theme on my Vista, (other than light-blue Vista altered by QTTabbar and StExBar), even though I really don't like the colours. I would rather like it to use some fancy, updated aero-glass version of XP's Silver - I just don't know where or how to get it and set it.
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »

Same as Curt, here. I have Vista running Aero and that's it... I dallied with WindowBlinds under XP Pro for years trying to find the perfect Vista theme!

[Off-topic] my Windows 7 disc is in the mail so I'll be upgrading to it, soon  Grin[/Off-topic]

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »

shameless plug: Curt you might like one of my two Vista styles both are ports of lassekongo83's, designer of the already mentioned SlanXP.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »

@Eóin,  
- you were warned. I did say I don't use themes, meaning I have no idea what to do!
 Cool

1) When I click Desktop > Change Theme, Vista is asking me for a *.Theme-file.
So what do I do with the CleanGlass (♥) folder, which has no .Theme files, please?

Can I say right away that I only would like to change the look of Explorer, if possible.
Everything else is already looking good... As is CleanGlass :-)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:43:35 PM by Curt » Logged
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »

I use VistaGlazz on Vista64 with the Purple theme.  The only negative side-effect I've noticed is that desktop icon position save/restore programs don't seem to work.  That provided the impetus to get rid of desktop icons altogether.  I use RocketDock with 6 folders to hold my shortcuts in various categories.

It's nice with W7 that you don't have to patch anything to apply themes.
On XP I really like the Shine_vs Theme

The trouble with Shine though, is centering the caption obliterates too much text on dialog and message boxes.  I tried to hack it myself with a resource hacker but I could never get it right. All themes I use, for that reason, have left justified captions.

Here's some screenshots.  The wallpapers I did with fractal programs.

* 7Desk.jpg (160.23 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 225 times.)

* VistaDesk.jpg (219.52 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 259 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:04:01 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

"I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."
- Groucho Marx
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 05:12:53 AM »

bumping...  embarassed

1) When I click Desktop > Change Theme, Vista is asking me for a *.Theme-file.
So what do I do with the CleanGlass folder, which has no .Theme files, please?

tellme
tanis424
Charter Member

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »

- you were warned. I did say I don't use themes, meaning I have no idea what to do!

From the text file included in the themes ...

"Requirements: Windows XP with a patched uxtheme.dll file.

An universal uxtheme patcher for XP can be found here:
http://www.softpedia.com/...XTheme-MultiPatcher.shtml

Doubleclick on the *.msstyles file to use the theme."
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »

-thanks, tanis424
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.049s | Server load: 0.07 ]