topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email  (Read 46273 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Also, is it possible to count words as well as characters?
actually it's possible but not in real-time, though.. i can add a button or a hot-key that can do that & display the word-count in a message-box.. is that ok? :)

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 08:36 AM »
lanux> maybe you can set a timer to count words every second, or every two seconds. Couldn't it work ?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 08:40 PM »
thanks ak_, i'm already using a timer to count the characters.. :) but i'm in discussion with Nod5 to use a g-label instead, let's see how it turns out..

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Still no luck with v1.36, outlook or express. Real time word count would be nice, but button access would be okay too. Here's hoping...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 10:10 PM »
Still no luck with v1.36, outlook or express.
kiwi2b: can you post a screenshot of your Outlook's compose window? by any chance, are you using non-English Windows? if you are using the English version, then try quitting the program then delete the INI file that is created (filename: count.ini) then start the program again.. :)

Real time word count would be nice, but button access would be okay too. Here's hoping...
hopefully this would not be a problem.. as mentioned earlier, i'll be able to implement real-time word-count soon.. :Thmbsup:

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 04:49 AM »
Sure, here is the screenshot. English is the language and deleting the ini file hasn't changed things. :(
Don't forget v1.3 works with express (not outlook) for me.  :)
Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:53 AM by kiwi2b »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 09:28 PM »
ok, i see the problem.. i'll fix this first before starting on the word-count feature.. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 10:14 PM »
for someone who doesn't use Outlook, i learned a lot over the weekend.. :) one of the thing is that Outlook uses two different window class and window titles based on the option highlighted in the image below. so hopefully now the problem that kiwi2b mentioned would have been solved.. :up:

ws-Outlook-01a.png

Note: this is an interim release only, eventually it will be incorporated into the main script.. :)
version - 1.36b

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 09:32 AM »
ok, now that the Outlook problem is taken care of.. i'm starting work on the word count & other features that has been suggested.. :up: here is a demo screenshot, i have to expand the gui to fit everything in & on the bottom-right i'm thinking on placing the config button or a donationcoder.com banner, featuring cody.. :)

ws-countchars-v1.37.png

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 05:07 AM »
Hi Lanux128,
Thanks for that help with Outlook... :Thmbsup:

i always forget maximised windows. in fact, CountAsYouType was programmed to appear on the right on the compose window.. this is fixable - in case of maxed windows, i'll just set it to appear on the center. is this ok?
That's fine. :)

That problem: I run my screen at 125% of normal size using the setting found under Display Properties, which makes CountAsYouType's font too big for its windows. Most, but not all, programmes can handle this. Be good if the programme's text could allow for this.

Here's the problem:
winlarge.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

And the same problem in the Options window. :(

It's caused by this setting:
winlargesetting.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

If I change it back to the Normal display setting of 96dpi CountasYou Type is fine. Is this fixable, why does it happen for some progs, but not others? :tellme:

The new GUI looks excellent, but how can you fit both Cody and the Options button in? ;D

Good work...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:16 AM by kiwi2b »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 11:29 PM »
That problem: I run my screen at 125% of normal size using the setting found under Display Properties, which makes CountAsYouType's font too big for its windows. Most, but not all, programmes can handle this. Be good if the programme's text could allow for this.
-kiwi2b

hehe.. i didn't know that large display's would distort the GUI, thanks kiwi2b for pointing it out.. :) anyway, i'll check the AHK forums and try to code around non-fixed dimensions. and it seems that i'll have to give this large display setting the priority..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 03:46 AM »
i found a thread at the AHK forums, which gave me an idea to avoid distortion on PCs with large displays.. :) hopefully, the problem is fixed now & i also made some other changes which include:
• Real-time word count.
• changes made in the Options Gui is now instantaneous.
• Gui takes into account maximised windows before positioning itself.

Before
120_DPI-Before.png

After
120_DPI-02.png

here is the latest version - 1.38
* Count-as-you-type-v138.ahk (9.08 kB - downloaded 413 times.)
* Count-as-you-type-v138.exe (237.58 kB - downloaded 518 times.)

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 06:48 AM »
Well done, it's the best yet, I tried to break it, different dpi, html, text, rich text, it picked it all up without restarts.  :Thmbsup: Perfect ... almost ... ;D :

Look close, real close, and you see the config screen vertical spacing seems off:
config_screen.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email
This is with the normal 96dpi, worse with 120dpi.
config_screen_large.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

Uh oh, here's trouble, the task manager is showing 100% cpu activity with count as you type the culprit, it's happened twice so far.  :(
Just watching it now, the computer hasn't locked up, but count as you type is still at the top wanting 40 to 60% of the cpu  :huh:

Anyway, I've got some ideas for options:
Can you set the position of the GUI optionally? In the middle at the bottom is best for Outlook: less intrusive and keeps the right scrollbar and any left orientated toolbars clear. Bottom left is okay (might hide somebody's toolbar though) and bottom right not so good (hides the scrollbar). Best to make the position optional I guess?
Also, can you make an autostart with Outlook optional? So if Outlook starts (or Express, Thunderbird) then Count optionally starts as well and sits in the tray.
Also, the close button optionally minimises to the tray.
Also, the system tray balloon tip, best to make it optional.
Also, what about Outlook 2007, it's on the horizon for me I guess...
Phew, what a list ...  ;)

Very clever with that w00t in the GUI: change it to a Cody image and leave the button part as a link to the options and you pass the course. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:52 AM by kiwi2b »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 10:14 AM »
hehe you have an eye for details.. ;D it should be "enter a number here" but i'll lop off the "here" from now on..

expanding the options gui is also a good idea but i need to check on that 100% cpu usage thingy.. are you running the ahk script or the compiled exe when the high cpu activity occurs?

now back to options..
• saving the last GUI position when exiting is probably the better choice. this is what i have in mind, have a check-box that will save the GUI position to INI file when closing.
— when loading again, read x,y position from INI file.
— if happy with current position, go to options & uncheck the 'save position' setting.
— or move around the GUI until you hit a sweet spot then quickly restart then uncheck the setting.
so, what do you think?

• by autostart with Outlook, you mean to start Count-as-you-type with Windows?
• close button to minimize to systray - check.. :up:

• initially i used systray balloon for troubleshooting but i didn't remove them since it is useful as a feedback system. i counted and there is 4 instances where TrayTip is used:
— when loading, it displays the current config settings.
— when exceeding nos. of characters while typing.
— when copying the text, the new clipboard contents are displayed.
— when there is nothing to copy.
is there any particular messages that is bothering you or you hate them all equally? :)

• as for Outlook 2007, i'm going to add a feature for customised windows title. this way you can add as many programs as you want but right now i'm just trying to figure out the best way to do that.. :)

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 10:31 PM »
hehe you have an eye for details
I've heard that before somewhere, I'll have to watch that. ;)

cpu usage thingy.. are you running the ahk script or the compiled exe when the high cpu activity occurs?
The compiled exe. The problem shows when I have an open Outlook message and the CountAYT window open, with another programme on top. Instead of staying quiet, Task manager is showing CountAYT as wanting 8 to 14% of the CPU. Like when I am writing this message.

saving the last GUI position when exiting is probably the better choice ... have a check-box that will save the GUI position to INI file when closing
Yes, absolutely. Everybody's prefs are different, so this would solve it.

by autostart with Outlook, you mean to start Count-as-you-type with Windows?
Ideally, optionally, start just with Outlook ( or other mail progs) if possible, and then close with Outlook. Keeps the tray clear. Most people around these DonationCoder parts probably already have a too full tray as it is. ;D Otherwise, just start with windows I guess.

close button to minimize to systray - check..

is there any particular messages that is bothering you or you hate them all equally?
;D This one:
when loading, it displays the current config settings
It's that being repeatedly told something I already know feeling coming back again. ;D Probably best to make each one optional, to please everyone...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 03:55 AM »
cpu usage thingy.. are you running the ahk script or the compiled exe when the high cpu activity occurs?
The compiled exe. The problem shows when I have an open Outlook message and the CountAYT window open, with another programme on top. Instead of staying quiet, Task manager is showing CountAYT as wanting 8 to 14% of the CPU. Like when I am writing this message.

kiwi2b: can you try the AHK script and see if the same thing happens? if we can establish that the exe is the problem then i can compile using some other parameters.. :)

Note to self
• Ahk2Exe documentation - http://www.autohotke.../Scripts.htm#ahk2exe
• Script performance - http://autohotkey.fr...misc/Performance.htm

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 06:07 AM »
Okay, I tried AHK and the script and it has the same problem. :(
Specifically, I start Outlook, then create a New message, CountAYT starts, CPU jumps up to 10 or 20% (which varies and seems high) and stays that way even if I don't type in CountAYT, close CountAYT to the tray or close the Outlook message. It only stops when I close Outlook.
The life of a programmer huh ...  :D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10 AM »
hmm.. that's strange, kiwi2b. did you had this problem in previous versions? in fact, i was having similar problems myself (see this post). :o i will try compiling again & see if that solves the problem.. :)

also on the program update, i'm halfway thru' the options gui and am awaiting some art-work from our resident Cody designer, nudone.. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:25 PM by mouser, Reason: WTFCODY site was taken offline »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 12:02 PM »
here is a mock-up Options GUI screen.. let me know if you need any other options.. :)

GUI-mockup-001.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 05:52 AM »
CPU problem: Check those 2 emails for details, the problem seems to be in the Outlook option.
Boy, that thread sounded like work. ;D My guess is a lot of people with similar but different problems that sound the same but aren't.
Great options, don't forget to disagregate the balloon tips, it's the one that always tells you about what email programme it is watching I need to disable, the other balloons are great.
A suggestion: not for me at this point, but I can see it as useful, is it possible to make CAYT the only way to enter text into a New Message window, and password protect the options window? That way it could completely stop people writing huge emails when they don't need to. :D
(Anyone know if Outlook has any sort of wordcount, can't find one, and if not then this programme looks pretty unique. :Thmbsup:)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2007, 04:59 AM »
a new version - v1.40 with some configurable settings and also check out the cool graphics by nudone! 8)

kiwi2b: i haven't pinned down the CPU problem that you were having but in the meantime do try out this version. :)

ws-cayt-140.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

Count-as-you-type v1.40
* Count-as-you-type-v140.ahk (14.64 kB - downloaded 475 times.)
* Count-as-you-type-v140.exe (384.04 kB - downloaded 544 times.)

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Good to see you back, hope you haven't been too busy. ;D
Options look great, graphics are excellent, About tab is the best I've seen, particularly with my name smack in the middle (can you make it flash? Joke). ;D

To recap:
...don't forget to disagregate the balloon tips, it's the one that always tells you about what email programme it is watching I need to disable, the other balloons are great.
A suggestion: not for me at this point, but I can see it as useful, is it possible to make CAYT the only way to enter text into a New Message window, and password protect the options window? That way it could completely stop people writing huge emails when they don't need to
Any of this possible?

How is Outlook 2007 handled, is it to be added to that drop down list? Don't quite understand "To add more than one program split with pipe". Do you mean window not program? Can't read all your comments, so maybe I'm missing something:
options.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

Also, the 1.38 version seemed to be better than 1.40: the CPU problem is worse (under outlook its way high, under express its around 15%; 1.38 was at 15% for outlook, and great for express). :( Also, if I open a new message in outlook, CAYT starts, but if I close the message and open another new message, CAYT fails to open. :huh:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2007, 08:28 AM »
i've changed the email apps from radio button to drop-down lists.. :) btw, i haven't forgotten your suggestions but i'm planning to do some work on the custom window first and newer apps like Outlook 2007 will be supported under custom winTitle.. if all goes well, the feature will work like this: you put the titles of programs as they appear on your desktop & CAYT will pop-up when they are detected. the syntax could be this way: new file -|New Message|untitled

ws-cayt-140-opt1.png

as for the cut-off text, can you try clicking on the Cody pic from the main gui and let me know by posting a screenshot if the text is still being cut-off..

about CAYT failing to re-open, did you close the compose window 1st or CAYT? i actually had put in a flag so that CAYT doesn't pop-up if it is closed while the compose window is open. the rationale was that the users need some breathing space.. :)

also, the CPU problem looks like it's something that i have to refer to at the AHK forums.. don't worry, keep those feedbacks coming.. :)

kiwi2b

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Okay, looks like the CPU problem is under control. :Thmbsup: 1.40a and 1.40b seem free of the problem (1.40b seemed to have a problem once, but can't be sure. I'd choose 1.40a to be safe). Well done. :)

The GUI cropping:
crop.pngIDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

This problem:
about CAYT failing to reopen, did you close the compose window 1st or CAYT? i actually had put in a flag so that CAYT doesn't pop-up if it is closed while the compose window is open. the rationale was that the users need some breathing space..
Okay, I clicked the Close to Tray button of CAYT. Good point about the breathing space. If I click the button, I guess it says CAYT is not required, so it needs to stay in the tray.
But if I open up another message, save and close, then another, and another, CAYT stays silent until closed and restarted. I can imagine a user opening a new message, deciding they don't need CAYT, minimising, sending the message, then opening a new message where they want CAYT, and it doesn't appear!
Then the questions start, where is it, is it broken.... ;)
Then I blame the programmer ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 01:15 AM »
that's good news, let me know if it keeps going easy on the CPU usage.. :)

ok, the Gui needs some work but the flag i mentioned sounds broken.. :) so you know the drill, i'll be posting a minor release to you and you'll have to verify that the status of the problem and so on.. 8)