topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [feature request] i know it's public release time....  (Read 3416 times)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[feature request] i know it's public release time....
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Hi mouser,

i know FARR is going public soon, and that's great news since it will increase the FARR community :)

however, i'd like to suggest a new feature :

i think it would be great to be able to open/trigger FARR window with command-line parameters...

for instance :

path_to_farr/FARR.exe "restartsearch=myfavoritealias"
would trigger FARR and start the search : myfavoritealias

Now, i use autohotkey to do it

#IfWinActive, ahk_class dopus.lister ;check if directory opus (my file explorer) is active
AppsKey::
SendPlay ^d  ;Ctrl + d copies the selected files path to the clipboard - hotkey specified in directory opus
Sleep, 500
Send !{Space} ;opens FARR
Sleep, 200
Send files{Space} ;type "files" then "space"
return
#IfWinActive

AppsKey::
clipboard = ; Empty the clipboard
SendPlay ^c ;copy
ClipWait, 1
Send !{Space} ;opens FARR
Sleep, 200
Send c{Space} ;type "c" then "space"
return

thanks to this code, i can use FARR to manipulate files i've just selected (i use the #IfWinActive trigger to check whether i'm in my file explorer or not) or text i've just selected

so basically i select text, i press the Application key (you know the contextual menu key close to the space bar) it copies the selected text to the clipboard and it opens FARR with my clipboard alias named "c", then i choose what to do with the clipboard content (search the web, capitalize, etc.)

or in my file explorer i select files then press the application key... it copies the selected files path to the clipboard, it opens FARR with my file alias named "files", i *could* then zip them, email them, you name it

I was inspired by the way Quicksilver works

If we could trigger FARR from a command line, It would be more reliable and we could also create shortcuts to favorite aliases or favorite searches...

What do you think ?

Cheers, Nitrix

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [feature request] i know it's public release time....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:54 AM »
this doesn't sound too bad, i'll put it on my todo list for implementation IFF i have time, but it might have to wait until after july release.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [feature request] i know it's public release time....
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Also, a good way to acomplish this would be by drag+drop of the file in FARR, i think.