topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alias autocompletion  (Read 3675 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alias autocompletion
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:48 AM »
Is it possible to use aliases to limit results?
for example say if I have an alias "add to winrar archive" (alias would be called "backup" for example) could I then do something similar to:
c:\utils\\.txt +backup
to add all text documents in a folder under c:\utils to a winrar archive?

I ask this because currently you'd have to start the FARR command with an alias, so the autocompletion which is so great will not work for the $$1 after the alias. It would be good either to have the autocomplete work for aliases or to be able to add in the alias after the command. Possibly both. I could then use
backup c:\utils\\.txt
I guess if this is already possible, then this is a hidden request for a "getting started section" which would show various FARR commands (from simple to complex) with a screenshot showing the result in farr.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:50 AM by justice »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alias autocompletion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48 AM »
you can do this already, believe it or not :)

but yes it is very hard to figure out how since it's such a weird thing.

the funny part is that you already figured out how to do it with your first example :)

to learn more, go to the help file, and the section Advanced Use -> Using Alias Action Keywords:

A new feature with FARR version 2 is the ability to specify alias names in your search string using the + prefix (just like keyword modifiers).

When an alias name is specified in this way, anywhere on the search string, it does not effect search, but it will cause the alias results to be displayed AFTER the result file is selected, with the selected file name as argument $$1 in the alias.

In this way, you can perform a normal file/folder search and then launch a specific alias command with that file/folder as an ARGUMENT.

For example, you could create an alias named +hexedit

whose result contents are:
C:\Program Files\HexEditors\HexEdit.exe "$$1"

Now you can type in your search:
+hexedit mydocsearch...

As you type mydocsearch words, FARR will let you search for files as normal.

After you choose the result, instead of launching the result file, you will be presented with

C:\Program Files\HexEditors\HexEdit.exe "SELECTEDFILE"

Which you can then launch.