Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum
  *

avatar image

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 08, 2016, 08:25:52 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: allergic to computer monitor  (Read 5396 times)

nite_monkey

  • Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 727
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
allergic to computer monitor
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »
So about 2 days ago I was using my computer which has two crt monitors, and after a while my hands started to itch, and prety soon little bumps that look like bug bites showed up, and then my hands started to hurt. I then did some research, and found out that the monitors contain Triphenyl phosphate, which is a chemical that is saposed to help keep monitors from catching on fire, and it has been know to cause allergic reactions, so I was wondering if anyone knows if lcd computer monitors contain this chemical? If they don't that would be cool, and maybe I could some how get enough money to buy me one, and then maybe I could use my computer with out having my hands iritating me. I couldn't find any information on the internet about if lcds have this, so if anyone knows, could you please let me know, thanks.
[Insert really cool signature here]

justice

  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 1,898
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »
This study seems to suggest to me that the level of Triphenyl phosphate will fall after using the monitor for some hours.(see below) are your monitors new?


Quote
After one week of continuous operation the triphenyl phosphate concentration had dropped to 50 % of the value measured after 24 hours. After 183 days of operation, corresponding to 2 years of operation in normal working hours, the concentration had dropped to 10 % of the initial concentration. The fact that the triphenyl phosfate concentration decreases with time is in line with the qualitative results in Table 2.11. Please note that the results in section 2.4.1.1 show that the concentration of other phosphate-based flame retardants does not peak until after 100 hours and only decreases very slowly.

Couldn't find any more unfortunately.

Gothi[c]

  • DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ***
  • Posts: 858
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
Wow, that's amazing. I never heared of that before.
I think being allergic to computers sounds like about the worsed disease I could ever get in my life :D

nite_monkey

  • Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 727
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »
the monitors are a couple of years old. I am not 100% positive this is the case, but it only happens when I am at my computer, though, it only started about 2 days ago, so I am not sure exactly what the deal is.
[Insert really cool signature here]

KirkKelsey

  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • default avatar
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
Sounds like a common reaction to pesticides as well.  Make sure you have not just used flea spray on your pet and had them lay near your computer, nor sprayed bug spray or have a pest strip near your computer.

This problem is far more common than you would expect, and many more people today are becoming sensitive to the chemicals in their environment.  After being poisoned by a "sick building", I now need to have my computer in a box vented by a fan to the outdoors, and had to switch to LCD for less fumes off the monitor.  The fumes off electronics make me very sick.

Constant exposure to many things can also cause a sensitivity over time.  Some woodworkers eventually become sensitized to wood dust.  What makes it worse, is that while it may start with only Cedar, it eventually broadens it's scope until one is sensitive to quite a few species, if not all wood dust.

To track down the real culprit, move parts of your computer, one at a time, to a new location and sit with it a while.  See if the reaction starts, and try to isolate the part(s) that cause the reaction.  You can also remove everything from your computer area other than the actual hardware and see if the reaction still happens.  Maybe a book or papers with something on it causes your problem.

When they sprayed for fleas at my wifes office, she broke out with a similar rash.  When they moved her to a new location, the rash would occasionally re-appear.  She finally had to have every piece of paper copied, and all new office supplies before the rash stopped.  Everything that was at her old desk was contaminated by the flea spray.  Worst part is, now she has become sensitized to a similar class of chemicals and gets wooly headed and headaches when around many perfumes (most of which contain many toxic chemicals).

There are many sites on the web about Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Gulf War Syndrome, and Environmental Illness.  There are just way too many chemicals out there that cause long term problems for a large segment of the population.  I wish I had learned more about it before I got so bad that my sensitivity became permanent. 

mouser

  • First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
  • *****
  • Posts: 36,412
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »
the other possibility is that it's some bacteria or something in your keyboard.. since keyboards are cheaper than lcds, one quick thing to try would be buy the cheapest keyboard you can find and try that for a week or something.

also don't forget that cleaning stuff and soap could cause it, so don't trick yourself into thinking you have an alergy by constantly cleaning everything on your desk and then finding you keep having the alergic reaction.

nite_monkey

  • Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 727
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: allergic to computer monitor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »
nah, I think I figured it out, some bugs were getting into my room, and they were biting me at night while I slept, and I am pretty sure that was the problem because I have gotten rid of most if not all of them and now the problem has gone away.
[Insert really cool signature here]