Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 11:40:18 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Don't call it "the tray"!  (Read 14730 times)
Cpilot
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »

Pedantic or not in the long run I doubt it'll make a difference.
Common terminology is arrived at by consensus.

Case in point, in the 80's Xerox made some noise about using it's name as a verb.
As in xeroxing to mean making a copy. It never got anywhere because it became a common term for using a copy machine.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »

Common terminology is arrived at by consensus.

exactly, words evolve as people use them.. any linguistic expert or dictionary compiler would vouch for this, even though he may not agree with the words.. btw, google is not tearing its hair off everything someone googles on the web.. smiley

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 03:30:45 AM »

I thought google was against it's name being used as a verb...

http://arstechnica.com/ne...rs/post/20030620-162.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3006486.stm

- carpe noctem
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »

I thought google was against it's name being used as a verb...
hehe.. google has proved that it is a corporate business after all.. so much for "do no evil".. smiley thanks for clarifying, f0dder.. thumbs up

Cavalcader
Charter Member

Live Long & Prosper

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

hehe.. google has proved that it is a corporate business after all.. so much for "do no evil".. smiley
I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to run a huge business and still put out a good product over the long haul. Still, ya gotta admit, protecting their investment in the company name is one of those necessary evils. Imagine how long it took some creative people to come up with the name Kleenex, and now it's about as generic as can be...

Whoops, wandering way offtopic. How about a Kleenex dispenser in the Notification Area?  tongue

My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 11:05:41 PM »

How about hoovering up a xerox of a kleenex that someone has written all over with a biro?

OK, so two of my two examples are common in British English... I don't care!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 06:57:05 AM »

Curt - just goes to show how smart you have to be to have a good command of the English Language! Thmbsup

I am teaching my neighbour's 9 year old (Afrikaans) Son, as his Father wants him to speak 'real' English and not the local variety!

I am British BTW...

Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:58:40 AM by CleverCat » Logged

If you need help - JUST ASK!
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »

When I was a little boy, my sister was a "slut". "Slut" originally meant "little girl" and had no sexual connotations. The word changed.

! How old are you, Renegade? On the west coast of Canada at no point in the last 50 years (that I am aware of) has calling a guy's little sister a slut been anything other than derogatory, inflammatory, and loaded with sexual connotations!

The examples there are more than just a few years old. A couple hundred or so. Never-the-less, the meaning of the word changed. Not in our lifetime, but still, it illustrates the point that the meanings of words (and what things are called) changes over time.

Another example would be "tissue" being called "kleenex" or "cola" being called "coke".

As yet another example, the origin of the word "f**k" comes from a word meaning "to thrust", as in to thrust with a sword. (Old Anglo-Saxon)

The above example with "slut" was meant for dramatic effect. I thought that was obvious in the context.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »

Quote from: Renegade
As yet another example, the origin of the word "f**k" comes from a word meaning "to thrust", as in to thrust with a sword. (Old Anglo-Saxon)
You've heard that mp3 too? smiley

- carpe noctem
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Renegade
You've heard that mp3 too? smiley

Actually, I got that from a university class in Old Anglo-Saxon well before the George Carlin comedy routine. smiley

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »

That's the guy who made that 60-minutes-ish monologue on "the meaning of the word f***"? I've been trying to track it down on and off smiley

- carpe noctem
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

It's not that long. I forget exactly how long it is - around 5~10 minutes I think. The guy is really smart though. Some of the most intelligent comedy out there.

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »

The above example with "slut" was meant for dramatic effect. I thought that was obvious in the context.

Yup - it was obviously meant for dramatic effect, I just read it as having changed over the course of your life, that's all.

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware of that!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »

60 minutes as in http://www.cbsnews.com/se.../60minutes/main3415.shtml - there's always this old guy at the end who's doing a funny monologue smiley

- carpe noctem
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »

60 minutes as in http://www.cbsnews.com/se.../60minutes/main3415.shtml - there's always this old guy at the end who's doing a funny monologue smiley

Aah...! Andy Rooney.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »

Ah yeah, that's his name! - dunno if it's he who did the sketch I remember, but the voice reminded me of him.

- carpe noctem
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 11:34:44 AM »

I actually appreciated learning this little nugget of info.  I'm pretty particular myself, so I like this sort of thing.  For example, I just learned that DVD originally stood for "Digital Versatile Disc" not "Digital Video Disc". 

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 04:57:21 PM »

Yup - it was obviously meant for dramatic effect, I just read it as having changed over the course of your life, that's all.

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware of that!

Sorry - I misread what you meant. It never occurred to me that you were asking if I was 397 years old! smiley

Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:33 PM »

I remember in Junior High School looking up dirty words in the oldest dictionaries I could find in the library. One of them said the word in question was a verb that meant "to hit".

Gives new insight to the phrase "I'd hit that..."

:duck: :run:

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

here is another source that traces the origin via a Scandinavian derivation of "focka" meaning to copulate.. smiley

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 05:38:50 PM »

Curt - just goes to show how smart you have to be to have a good command of the English Language! Thmbsup

In fact the two most difficult languages in the world are said to be Danish and Japaneese.
- Did you know that the English language has some 500 words from Danish...?   Wink

A Nordic example (Danish, Dutch, German, English, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic):
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:54:49 PM by Curt » Logged
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »

here is another source that traces the origin via a Scandinavian derivation of "focka" meaning to copulate.. smiley

One of the most common probably derives from the same root as the Norwegian word fukka and the Swedish focka (to copulate), and was first recorded in the early 16th century.

That helps put things in perspective historically and it's easier to see how the original "to thrust / to stab" evolved into "focka/fukka" with that meaning, and then to our modern sense of it now.

And who said linguistics or history was boring? smiley

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

And who said linguistics or history was boring?

yes, it doesn't have to be.. just check here..

Maggy160
Supporting Member

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 03:39:56 AM »

Webster online dictionary:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bi...ok=Dictionary&va=fuck
Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate
The Dutch verb is much older than the Swedish one and has no relation with the old English word for to thrust as far as I can find.
Some other words "borrowed" from Dutch:
apartheid easel cookie dapper dock landscape sketch still life filibuster loafer slim scrabble Santa Claus scone snoopy yacht yankee
and some things the English think about us...
Dutch courage: courage from a bottle
Dutch uncle: suger daddy
Dutch wife: pillow
Dutch gold: fools gold
Double Dutch : you know...
Dutch treat, Dutch party, Dutch auction....

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.14 ]