topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Paragon Virtualization Manager 2010  (Read 27058 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Virtualization Manager 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 05:42 PM »
oh dear. not good. but, at least, you get to put the virtualization process through some decent testing.

fingers crossed.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Just bought a copy to play too (at £13.99 UK).

I am trying to use the network features to do a V2P transfer from one machine to another.

I can't see any way to acheive this. In order to do V2P you have to use the boot cd but the boot cd won't let you see files in shared folders.

This is what I did ...

On an XP machine I used simple sharing to share my VMWare machines folder. I can access this on other workgroup machines fine but when I boot from the CD all I see is the folder and I can't see any of its contents. This means I can't access the files in the folder.

I tried switching off simple sharing and using proper sharing but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone got any ideas to get this to work or do I have to go to the hassle of transferring the machines to an external drive and physically moving them?

One final question - if you move installations P2V or V2P I presume it kills activation status in Windows and all other software or are there any tools to avoid this?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Hm, sounds like some weird networking problems, worked fine for me - my fileserver runs samba, though, and not normal windows filesharing... but that really should work.

As for activation status, no idea - I'm deliberately not activating Windows before booting it on the target machine. Other software obviously depends on how the DRM crap is implemented... >_<
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19 AM »
I think the problem might be that Windows file sharing is based on user ID. Booting from the CD means you haven't got the correct user credentials but I can't see any method within the software that allows you to enter any sort of user ID.

I would have thought proper sharing giving everyone full access should work but that seems to work even less well - you can't even see the shared folders let alone the contents.

Can someone else try this and see if it just my system with a glitch - but given that file sharing works properly in all my XP Vista and 7 installations I can't see why it should be a problem.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Carol, any progress with the networking? I might try playing around over the weekend if I get some time.

Anyway, I got around to doing a pretty full VMWare setup for the stuff I need on my laptop (which is somewhat less than my workstation, but still quite a lot - visual studio, sql server express, you name it - ~24GB disk image). Tested it superficially on my testing box, then deployed on my laptop. Didn't inject any drivers when doing the "P2P Adjust", had to install intel chipset drivers + intel graphics drivers + ACPIHIDMAPPER driver, and that resolved all that was missing. So far, everything seems good, but I'll test it properly for a couple of days before jumping to conclusions.

Certainly hope it works out well, so I can construct an image for my workstation... 5 days until the Win7 RC runs out, heh. Took me a couple of days speccing the requirements for the laptop image, can reuse most of that for the workstation - but it'll probably take two days of work sorting out the rest + creating image. Woop.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 04:43 AM »
No haven't figured it out yet. Dropped Paragon an email and awaiting reply.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 11:45 PM »
Sorry for the late notice, but Paragon Virtualization Manager 9.5 is available at no cost on GAOTD for the next 2 hours or so (Mar 10, 2010):

http://www.giveawayo...10-personal-english/

You can get the license key from http://www.paragon-s...ration/vm95pers.html

Apparently the only difference between this free 9.5 version and version 10 is that the free version doesn't come with a WinPE recovery disk image,  That might limit its' usefulness, but might still provide some value.

Also, the full version 10 will be available at half price ($15) on BitsDuJour on March 18, 2010:

http://www.bitsdujou...nager-2010-personal/

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35 AM »
Apparently the only difference between this free 9.5 version and version 10 is that the free version doesn't come with a WinPE recovery disk image,  That might limit its' usefulness, but might still provide some value.
That would make it useless for V2P and P2P.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 06:17 AM »
No haven't figured it out yet. Dropped Paragon an email and awaiting reply.

Had a series of replies which didn't seem to make much sense ...

Apparently I need to install LAN drivers when using the WinPE disc. I find this slightly odd as I can see the workgroup computers when running the WinPE disc and I can also see the folders but I can't see any files at all. Surely if I need drivers I wouldn't see anything at all?

Having explained all this the conversation dried up. Anyone got any ideas?

If I do need drivers for an integrated ethernet port how do I extract the correct drivers for WinPE? The only drivers I can find are motherboard drivers that come in a Windows .exe package?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Carol, if you can see workgroup computers, the issue definitely isn't because of missing NIC drivers.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45 PM »
That's what I figured but I can't see why the VM disc image files (and all other files too) aren't showing up.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 as my network destination and I have tried both simple file sharing and proper file sharing and in both cases only the folders appear on the machine run PVM WinPE disk.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 07:14 PM »
ends in a few hours, but just in case some missed it the first time and wanted it...

Paragon Virtualization Manager 2010 Professional at Bits du jour

Today Only: $49.95
You Save: 50%
List Price: $99.95