Newsletter for March 9th, 2007
"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"
1. Site News
What's new on our website?
While we prepare for the release of a major new version of Find+Run Robot, some of the members on our website have been very busy creating some nice stuff:
- Argus, a non-exact file contents search tool - Beta release open to testers now - based on discussions on the DC forum, one of the members started coding this tool for fuzzy, sound-alike, and non-exact searching of file contents (great for when you kind of know what you are searching for but don't know how to spell it)
- Introductory C# web-based tutorials - a wonderful set of tutorials on C# that start from the very beginner level - a great way to get started programming
2. March Discounts - Deadline for giveaway Mar 15th (Deadline for discounts March 31st)
Supporting Members, you've only got until March 15h to enter this month's shareware giveaway!
- Software from http://www.aignes.com, including Website Watcher, Local Website Archive, and AM-Notebook - I have written frequently about how Website Watcher is one of my all time favorite applications in the world. See our big review of website change reporting tools here: http://www.donationcoder....ve/WebWatchers/index.html
3. Mini-Reviews by Members
The mini review section is where members on our forum can post short reviews about programs they like. It's a great way to spread the news about an underappreciated application, and discover a new program.
4. Software Discoveries, Discussions, and Tips
What's new in the world of software? Are you good at finding new software discoveries? Stop by the forum and help us find stuff! And don't miss our Found Deals and Discounts section where people post great software discounts they find on the web.
- Batch create image contact sheet from videofiles?
- FreeSoftLand - Some Neat Freeware/Donationware Programs
- SKETCHR-Draw Online,export to desktop
- Firewalls - please, i can't be bothered.
- Documeron on Freeware Genius: A great free program and website!
- Empty Folder Nuker: A freeware program that will find and delete empty folders
- Vista Start Menu Search gets more FARRified
- Recommendations for good copy/move software?
- Vista: Download Disaster?
- Tools to enable vitual teams to connect and collaborate
- LanguageIdentifier.com: Does just what you'd expect (probably)
- IRCLink: Relays information between channels/networks
- Nostalgia hour: old software you loved
- SmartFTP Users: Adware As Of v.2.5.1004.7
- Desktop chaos please help
- roboform2go or sticky password?
- GNU Utilities for Win32 dead?
- TextPad updated to 5.0 (And UltraEdit to v13)
- Move opened application window to secondary monitor
- FlashForge Screensaver Maker - Now Free
- Auto Project Planner Creates the Project Plan for You
- CrossLoop â€“ Simple Secure Screen Sharing
- Nice Free Google Desktop Plugin for TheBat! Email Client
- WordWeb 5 Dictionary and Thesarus released
- Can you upgrade, despite a broken installer?
- Software for a Building/Co-op/SmallCommunity?
- DirLot: Free folder size visualization software
- Watch a panel discussion about browsers
- Having trouble finding files? Try CellNet and get a whole lot more.
- Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine
- Artweaver: free natural painting tool
- How to print more than 10000 .ps files
5. Fun Games, Gadgets, and Diversions
Everyone needs a break from work every now and then.. I notice that we haven't been posting as many games lately -- do people want to see more posts about new games found on the web? Let us know.
- JayIsGames.com 2007 Competition Entries Announced
- Schmap: Dynamic Travel Guides
- Desktop Tower Defense: Flash Game of the Day
- Drawing with 2 mice
- New higher performance notebook pc drive shipping soon
- An Introduction to Making Money Selling Digital Photos
6. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions
There are always new website services popping up every day, and lots of debate about the future direction of the web.
- Meebo.com - instant messaging from absolutely anywhere
- Blog Essay: You Want a 10,000 RPM Boot Drive
- DesktopTwo: Free Online Anywhere Desktop
- Citizendium opens! (Sort of)
- Windows Power Shell 1.0
- Extensive Description of Windows Services
- Six Free Online Storage Services
- SKRBL - Yet another Web2 beta
- Language Consolidator
- Favorville: People Helping People
- (His) Microsoft Google Yahoo Stories
- The limits of attention
- Living with Linux Ubuntu (ONLY) for 30 days
- I Bought Votes on Digg
7. Developer's Corner
The Developer's Corner section of our website isn't just for programmers, it's for people interested in starting their own business, website developers, etc.
- Astyle: A Free Visual CSS Editor
- How to edit .xpi, and with what?
- Locate Your IE Problems with DebugBar (Free for Personal Use)
- Best Application for Simple Game Development?
- Strange behaviour with Delphi and Vista
- Some ideas for programs and websites
- Very Useful Firefox Add-on for Web (esp. CSS) Developers
- Stratagus: A real-time strategy engine
- Wordpress 2.1.1 - Dangerous, Upgrade Immediately
- Browning's 20 top tips for surviving life in the workplace
- Free subscription to Dr. Dobbs Journal
- Style Master CSS Editor
- Five important communication activities for teambuilding
- Industry standards for Help About Credits?
- Gameplay database; gameability resources?
8. Website of the Month
Did you know that DonationCoder.com has a list of all of our past best-of-the-web recommendations and a list of recommended websites arranged by category?
- March 2007 Site of the month: http://www.freewaregenius.com/
9. Cody's Internet Citizen's Club Assignments
Cody, our rambunctious little bird mascot, has decided to form his own club and he wants you to join it! What's it all about? Mainly it's about being good internet citizens and active DC participants, and working as a team. In each newsletter you'll have a small assignment or two - like finding a freeware author you like and emailing them a thank you, or participating in a forum poll. As a Cody Club member, we ask that you perform the Cody Club newsletter task (or else invent one of your own if you object to the one we've chosen). Occasionally you'll get a little treat, like a postcard in the mail, or a Cody Club iron-on. Only Cody knows for sure.
- Cody's Club Task #1 - Write a mini-review on this forum of some software you like, or post a review on another site of one of your favorite programs
- Cody's Club Task #2 - Rate 3 programs you like on one or more software listing sites (like Betanews.com or snapfiles.com)
- Cody's Club Task #3 - Do the assignments in the last newsletter if you haven't yet!