Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 28, 2014, 12:59:01 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine  (Read 25262 times)
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 01:03:20 AM »

iphigenie,

I had the same question. I alter the tags of lots of oggs and would like to update only those that have changed; and if the delta copy moved just the tags, so much better. Unfortunately, Tobias said it's beyond SFSS's capabilities. A bit of a bummer.

Is there another backup solution that handles alternate NTFS data streams gracefully ?

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 07:42:59 AM »

After not doing any real backups for almost a year ( embarassed ) I today installed version 3 of Super Flexible File Synchronizer again (which I registered back then) and started to backup some stuff.

Feeling more secure already. Cool

My question: what has changed in the new version 4? Does anyone know? The German site has a version history which ends at a 3.x (huh?) and the English site doesn't seem to have a version history at all. http://www.superflexible.com/amazons3.htm hints that 4.x is needed for Amazon S3 Web Storage support, but I didn't find more than that.

Also it would be interesting to know the cost for updating from 3.x to 4.x

Thank you.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

http://www.superflexible.com/history.htm for version history

cant say about Amazon S3 (I use it but using Jungle Disk to back up my SFFS backups - not the most efficient but one advantage is it's easier for someone non-technical like me to check if it working properly)

Tom
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »

After not doing any real backups for almost a year ( embarassed ) I today installed version 3 of Super Flexible File Synchronizer again (which I registered back then) and started to backup some stuff.

Feeling more secure already. Cool

My question: what has changed in the new version 4? Does anyone know? The German site has a version history which ends at a 3.x (huh?) and the English site doesn't seem to have a version history at all. http://www.superflexible.com/amazons3.htm hints that 4.x is needed for Amazon S3 Web Storage support, but I didn't find more than that.

Also it would be interesting to know the cost for updating from 3.x to 4.x

I got a free upgrade from V3 to V4.   Many things changed from V3 to V4, cannot mention all of them.  The most visible is th e GUI. I admit I preferred the V3 one, but one get used to V4.

.merle1.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »

Quote from: brotherS
the English site doesn't seem to have a version history at all.
English-language version history is here

Chris
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »

Quote from: brotherS
the English site doesn't seem to have a version history at all.
English-language version history is here
Thanks!

The version 4 update is a free for purchases after Oct 1st, 2007, but you will most likely need a new registration code.
Cool, that means I will get a free upgrade also. Since MerleOne does not like version 4 too much, I wonder what the rest of you (who both used v3 and v4) thinks?

I would like to update mostly because of this new feature in v4 that I requested back then:
Files to be deleted are now deleted before new files are copied to avoid running out of space on the target disk.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:03:57 AM by brotherS » Logged

Thank you.
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

I would just like to point out that I do like v4 for the extra features, it's just that I miss some aspects of the V3 GUI.

Also, I feel something is missing from both versions : when I preview the files to be synced, I sometimes note that a given file, for instance 'my_very_big_file.mpg', should be excluded from all syncs from now on.  All I can do from the preview windows is manually enter a new exclusion rule, I would much prefer to have a goodsync-like feature where I just right click on this item and chose "exclude my_very_big_file.mpg".  When the path/file name is complicated, entering it manually is a big cause of error.

Apart from that it really stands out !

.merle1.
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »

Ah, ok. Which are the "aspects of the V3 GUI" that you miss?

And did you write them, suggesting that those - and the file exclusion feature you mentioned - could be added?

Thank you.
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »

Ah, ok. Which are the "aspects of the V3 GUI" that you miss?

And did you write them, suggesting that those - and the file exclusion feature you mentioned - could be added?
I sent this suggestion once to the developer back in May 2007.  Regarding V3 GUI, I think you had all parameters in view when launching a sync.  Now you to have to go into edit mode. Also I liked the color theme better.

.merle1.
J-Mac
Supporting Member

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »

I agree that it is a bit of a pain - small pain, not a big pain! - to have to open the Edit window to see what your parameters are for any given job. I think that v.3 had a "Summary" view that showed a lot of the main parameters. I could be confusing this with a different sync program though. (My memory is going......... huh ohmy  ).

Also, a few updates ago the new (or revised?) Safety feature defaulting to NOT performing the sync if a certain percentage of deletions was to occur drove me nuts until I discovered that setting. I think Tobias changed that a few updates later, but I had already changed all of mine manually.

Generally a very good program IMO.

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »

Generally a very good program IMO.
Yes, I second that, even if I'm still on version 3.  Cool

Thank you.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »

I'm a bit late to the party with this, but I like V4 just fine.
Mind you, I invite SFFS only to waltz, not to tango.

I agree that 'click-on-me-to exclude-me' would be nice.

Chris
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.03 ]