Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 20, 2014, 04:21:33 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: ZoneScreen: Expand your desktop on the network  (Read 11755 times)
KenR
Super
Blogger

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

Here's an interesting program that allows you to expand your desktop on networked machines.

Solution for extending your desktop display using displays of another computers (including Pocket PC), having network connection with main host. In some features it is similar to NetMeeting, Remote Desktop and VNC, allowing mirroring local desktop to another computer in the network. The main difference is that it also allows extend desktop, not only mirror it. Also, you could use ZoneScreen for Windows Mobile to extend/mirror your desktop to screen of your handheld.
All you need for ZoneScreen to work is...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:27:05 AM by mouser » Logged

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »

Beautiful!!
Another important note: it's freeware!

2stepsback
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »

Hi,
a slightly different question, I have a single monitor, keyboard and mouse. But I have two cabinets - one runs Win XP Pro on a P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM and the other runs Knoppix on a Grin P1-166MHz with 128MB RAM(!). How do I control both cabinets with one set of Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse?

I looked up "KVM", but you get hardware devices which are often a bit too much to spend on, especially, when there seems to be free software alternatives available. I've used UltraVNC before and on that basis, I ask: Can I setup my old Knoppix box to run UltraVNC server (or similar), and then connect to it via an ethernet/LAN card (having connected both via cable) and I then have my WinXP running normally and I can access Knoppix through the VNC window?

Is that possible? Seems not because the Knoppix box has no video for the VNC to send to the XP box.
Any suggestions?

~2stepsback

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghorror.c...blog/archives/000735.html
------------
W3Schools - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.
xingus
Participant

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »

@2stepsback:

Check out http://www.maxivista.com

Very cool software, but not free though. Anyway, its just $40

It does both, the same as ZonScreen but at much faster performance, and it also allows you controlling four computers from a a single mouse n' keyboard.

Xingus
2stepsback
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »

Firstly, thanks for the super fast reply! :-)
Does it allow a single monitor? Does not look like, they say you have to move the mouse to the edge of one screen and then it will jump onto the other box's OS/GUI
I have just one set of KVM.

~2stespback

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghorror.c...blog/archives/000735.html
------------
W3Schools - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.
xingus
Participant

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »

See http://www.maxivista.com/demo.htm
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »

Does it allow a single monitor? Does not look like, they say you have to move the mouse to the edge of one screen and then it will jump onto the other box's OS/GUI

~2stespback

Hmm, I seem to recall that somebody mentioned a tool for this some time ago, cannot remember who or where though. But iirc it was free and supported multiple OSes.

- carpe noctem
ameniac88
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »

~2stespback

Hmm, I seem to recall that somebody mentioned a tool for this some time ago, cannot remember who or where though. But iirc it was free and supported multiple OSes.

You probably mean Synergy 1.3. http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/. I love it.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »

ameniac88: I think that just might be it, thanks for posting the link... my memory isn't what it used to be (and it never was very good to start with smiley ).

- carpe noctem
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »

Unfortunately, the site is unavailable, but you can still download it through archive.org: http://web.archive.org/we...zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:29:47 AM »

too bad 64bit downlkoad is broken Sad
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »

too bad 64bit downlkoad is broken Sad
Yes, I noticed that too. Only the xp 32bit version link works. And that version doesn't work in vista 64 Sad

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »

64bit version is up. It works amazingly great!!!!!!!

http://zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »

huh ZoneScreen is back! yay!!  Thmbsup Thmbsup
Thanks for the heads up, kartal smiley

Jimdoria
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »

I've used Synergy, Win2VNC and also purchased MaxiVista. I'll have to try this out and see how it compares.

2stepsback, I'm wondering where you are looking for KVM switches, though, that you find them too expensive. You can get a decent one for 2 boxen in the $30 range, or even less, especially on ebay. Software is nice, but for just switching two PCs between 1 kb/mouse, it's hard to beat hardware.
  • Transitions are nearly instant.
  • There's no performance compromise. Sending video over ethernet almost always requires some kind of trade-off - color reduction, lag time, etc. Plus whatever it's doing to your network bandwidth.
  • There are no glitches/crashes/incompatibilities to worry about
  • You can always control either machine - even at boot time before the OS loads, which I sometimes find to be critical.
I bought a little 2 PC KVM with a USB port for around $20 if I remember correctly, and it's turned out to be one of the most useful pieces of kit I own.

- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.16 ]