topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A mathematical formula for procrastination  (Read 6289 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A mathematical formula for procrastination
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:01 PM »
I am a moderate procrastinator. Even when I believe that I would be best served by finishing a task (say, filing this story), I will occasionally put it off in favor of some short-term reward (like a much needed caffeine fix). This tendency on my part to delay what is in my long-term interest can now be explained by a simple mathematical equation, according to industrial psychologist Piers Steel of the University of Calgary.

18C98D80-E7F2-99DF-3BC33A063794BB37_1.gifA mathematical formula for procrastination

http://sciam.com/art...9DF-3BC33A063794BB37
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:07 PM by Josh »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: A mathematical formula for procrastination
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:59 AM »
Nor does it explain why procrastination seems to be on the rise--afflicting as many as 95 percent of students and at least 15 percent of adults, according to two recent surveys.

Only 15% of adults? I must only know people in that 15% category.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:44 AM »
Thanks, I'll read that tomorrow ...
.merle1.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:16 PM »
There is a link at the bottom of the article that leads to here: http://www.procrastinus.com/

There is a procrastination study from the University of Calgary that you can participate in. It will give you some feedback at the end of it.

According to my results, I am in the top 10% in terms of procrastination.  :-[

The results also come with suggestions on how to procrastinate less, which I did not publish in my blog post with my results.

If you want to see their tips, you'll have to take the test.  ;)

And if you had fun taking that test, there are plenty more studies here: http://psych.hanover...search/exponnet.html

wuwei23

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49 PM »
For another take on the use of mathematical formulas to discuss human behaviour, check out the always entertaining & informative site Bad Science, where they address this kind of nonsense regularly:

It’s not surprising that these equations are so stupid, because they come from the PR companies almost fully-formed and ready to have your name attached to them. I know that because I have received an avalanche of insider stories - Watergate it isn’t - including one from an academic in psychology who was offered money by Porter Novelli PR agency to put his name to the very same Sky Travel equation story that Arnall sold his to. In amongst their aggressive pitch they described how the story would go.

(MediaSlut - Ideas) + Money = CorporateWhore
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:51 PM by wuwei23 »