Here's something I came across, but I can't remember where it was?
"Freeware" is software you do not pay for, ever, in any way.
- It is not "Shareware," which you eventually must pay for.
- It is not "Nagware," which tries to get you to pay for something that was originally offered as though it was free.
- It is not "Crippleware," software that perpetually tries to annoy and tease you about features only enabled in the commercial version.
- It is not "Adware," an increasingly popular form of software that is actually a vehicle for advertising, and that is much like the modern Internet itself.
- It is not "Spyware," a sleazy kind of program that opens a channel of communication between your computer and someone who wants to know what you are doing.
FYI - this is something I copied somewhere, so give him/her/them the credit, not me.