Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 05:15:29 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Dark and Deadly Path - v1.05.01 - December 31st, 2006  (Read 16957 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:14:55 AM »

A Dark and Deadly Path v1.05.01 - December 31st, 2006
A super tiny little audio game engine

ADDP (A Dark And Deadly Path) is a tiny little interactive story game engine.

It works like the old Dragon's Lair LaserDisc game [1], or like those "choose your own adventure games [2], but is audio only and involves no graphics.

Basically an ADDP story/game is an audio story where the reader/play must choices along the way by pressing a key on the keyboard. The chioces may have to be made rapidly in quick succession within a narrow  time window which can add an element of panic to the story - and make it a particular appropriate device for for suspense stories.

Audio files are normal .mp3 files that an author records with standard software.  The game script is an .xml file with a format to be described in a separate file.

DOWNLOAD: Here.

READ:

Special thanks to Della for creating a test game/story for it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:05:47 PM by mouser » Logged
Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »

Very interesting.  Can we assume you are going to build a sample game for it?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:38:20 AM by Veign » Logged

Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:44:20 AM »

Can it be adapted to videos like MPEG to create a Dragon's Lair type game?  Or maybe something that uses still images to progress through where quick reactions flip to another image.

Either way I see this as pretty interesting since it could be used for other things besides games - not sure what but it seems like it could.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:16:09 PM »

actually you could use it for videos by adding only a few lines of code..

just harder to make videos so i thought it might be a fun audio only project (i was inspired by the accessibility game contest).
Arjen
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »

Cool, you did it!  thumbs up
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »

It's ready for upload now but i'm trying to get della or josh to make a sample game first so people will have something to actually play smiley
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:40:29 AM »

Mouser? You're that dude from DonationCoder?

Haha this is fun!

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:27:21 AM »

ps. Della says i got some of the death audio clips in the wrong places.
ps2. The intention was for this to be an online playable flash thing - which I'm happy to implement if anyone ever actually makes a realy story/game with it.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 01:55:38 PM »

Do you know that this was going to be my entry into the coding contest if I had gotten off my butt and coded it... good work!  I guess that great minds do think alike...  Wink

rgjordan
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »

Great idea.  smiley I'm going to try this out with my kids. If you have a future release, I would suggest an option for allowing the author to make some choices have a random outcome.

Rob
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:39:46 PM »

that's a nice idea about random branches.

i'm afraid that a poor decision was made in the design of this program to organize based on the idea of one long audio file with time points along it that choices get made. 

a much simpler approach in terms of designing a game would have been to use a sequence of separate short mp3 files that play to completion. 

i should modify it to be able to work like this if there is ever any hope of people using it.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »

I have been contacted one or two times since releasing A Dark and Deadly Path in 2006 by people who were thinking of using it, but i've never seen anyone make a game using it.

That makes me a bit sad; re-reading the author's guide now, it really seems like it could be a fun system and it's a shame it's never actually been used even once in 4 years to make a game.

If it ever got some real use it would make sense to add features and port it to Flash for online play, etc.  Are there really no site-impaired people who might be interested in this?  Sad
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:36:03 AM by mouser » Logged
anne19
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »

Lol cool, do you still do these? I'd like to participate  Thmbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF