topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request : all with mouse  (Read 8755 times)

Buckley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request : all with mouse
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:03 AM »
Ho Mouser,

I am using Memeclip Pro for the moment but it isn't helping much. It's even buggy from time to time so I'm looking forward to see this utility in my systray.

A feature that I haven't find in any copy paste program (or in general) are those presented in this little gem :
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/TXMouse/

1 Keyboard focus follows mouse pointer instantly (the only one that can be achieved with TweakUI, annoyingly enough accompanied by the "quality" to raise the window upon click).

2 Marked text is placed into the paste buffer instantly on left button release.

3 Pasting is done with a single middle button click. (The latter two are implemented in couple of applications - only to feel more acutely the lack of it in the rest of the windows!)

But it has bugs too and I can't have it running all time. Can you take a look at this program and see if you can incorporate some if its features?

The ability to quickly copy paste information between 2 windows increases drastically. Just select with 1 click, go to the other window and use middle mouse button.
Contrast this If TXMouse is not running. Select the text,Ctrl-C, click on the target window,Put you cursor at the desired position,Ctrl-V,activate the source window.

Thats 2 clicks vs 4 clicks/2 keyboard actions.

I am not yet a paying member but CHS looks very promising!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request : all with mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:18 AM »
we are not very strict here, and the point of the donation system is to encourage people to give serious thought to donating, not to punish people.  anyone who wants to try one of our programs but is not ready to donate can just email me and i will send them the download link :)

so if you want to try chs, just email me ([email protected]).

-

your comments are actually in line with a discussion we have in the past where true x-mouse came up also: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=191.0 , especially your #2 comment.

i plan to try to implement #2 (and i can add #3 and #1 easily), as *options* in chs;
i think to do it well you'd want the following:
a) it should be easy to turn this behavior on and off, and unload the hook dll needed for it when the function is off for optimal cpu usage.
b) you probably will want to let users set up an "exclusion list" of apps which it should not do copy on left-button-release.

in short, i am going to try to implement these things in chs; i look forward to more suggestions as well. in addition to middle mouse button to paste we could also support like paste on control+click (personally i have a hard time pushing middle mouse button for some reason, just feels wrong :))

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 07:20 AM »
Besides, middle mouse button is used for different things depending on the app (AutoCAD pans, Opera is customizable).  I like the idea of choosing the paste hotkey!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:25 AM »
these features will all be options, and i suppose ill let user decide which mouse button does what, and with what modifier (ctrl+shift+alt).
also, while we are using a global mouse hook, this might be the time to think about any other global behavior that might be useful on mouse operations besides auto focus changing, and auto copy and paste.

i can see one operation that might be useful is like a select-all and paste combo, in addition to just a paste.
ie middle mouse button does paste, ctrl+middlemouse does select-all before the paste.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 07:26 AM »
the only real question in my mind is how well the copy on left button release will work.

i'd really love to hear more about any bugs or issues with true x-mouse.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31 AM »
You could use drag and drop rather than the right click approach. Lots of forms etc. allow highlighting and then drag/drop the hightlighted text, but I'm not sure how this is implimented.

The advantage of drag and drop is that it is an optional approach, you can still use normal cut and paste too.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 09:52 AM »
chs is going to allow you to drag clips out from the grid and drop them into other program windows and forms.  i think this will be a really nice feature.  is definitely on the todo list.

Buckley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:35 AM »
your comments are actually in line with a discussion we have in the past where true x-mouse came up also: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=191.0 , especially your #2 comment.

Reading the comments made me think about the first days I used true TX-mouse and I emailed the author so that each added function could be checked on or off. I haven't got a reply and after 3 mails I gave up.
But I so much liked the ability to copy text just by selecting it that I got used to the other features and even appreciate them.
The auto focus is to copy and paste between to open programs cause now you can just go to the other window and paste without activating it. If you haven't noticed it even adds your text between text in that screen if you point your mouse to it. That is really helpfull. The conclusion as stated is 2 clicks vs 4 clicks + 2 keyboard action

i plan to try to implement #2 (and i can add #3 and #1 easily), as *options* in chs;
i think to do it well you'd want the following:
a) it should be easy to turn this behavior on and off, and unload the hook dll needed for it when the function is off for optimal cpu usage.
b) you probably will want to let users set up an "exclusion list" of apps which it should not do copy on left-button-release.

Thats what I was missing .

in short, i am going to try to implement these things in chs; i look forward to more suggestions as well. in addition to middle mouse button to paste we could also support like paste on control+click (personally i have a hard time pushing middle mouse button for some reason, just feels wrong :))

I got teached OO programming with a language called Oberon and that IDE relied heavily on a 3 button mouse.
Its explained in the section "Mouse commands in text" at http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/mouse.html

If you select text then keep your left mouse pressed and close it with a right click or a middle click.
In Oberon the select + right click copied the text to the clipboard but now we can put something else behind it. Like a Cut.

I suspect that Firefox users call this rocker gestures?

The problems with TX mouse I had were the following
1 Feeddemon's dropdownboxes wouldn't clap open.
2 I used the middle mouse button in Opera to open pages in the background. TX mouse hided that function
3 When I stopped TX mouse from running the auto focus would sometimes still be active.

2&3 are limitions of the implementation and not the concept.

I only see a problem with certain programs that don't use standard GUI elements. But this can be solved also with a program exception list.

I really look forward in seeing this cause I haven't found it in other software.