topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: usb drive backup program  (Read 26234 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: usb drive backup program
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 11:59 PM »
@ techidave:
Well, I can promise you this, it does not see any differences. What it does is very simply dump the complete content from the USB drive into an archive folder.

The only reason I whipped it up (as a BATCH file) was because you told me that during the day you connect to a lot of different PC's. If I know schools, then I have to assume that there are a lot of different versions of Windows involved. BATCH scripts tend to work on practically every version of Windows. For example, the script as it is works on every Windows version from Win2000 to Win7.

Although they can be problematic to setup, those scripts tend to be very reliable...and never nice to look at.

But with all the trouble both you and Deozaan experienced, I have to something about my commenting skills. Ah well, live and learn as they say.

Furthermore, Deozaan is totally right about checking for versions will be difficult (in BATCH), time consuming and error prone if drive names keep changing. Now I know that there are tools/hacks to make sure an USB drive gets the same drive letter assigned, but I don't have the time to look into that right now. Besides that, lack of (my) skills in this department do not help your cause one bit.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, there are BATCH script commands that can copy differences only. Maybe it would be smarter to copy these differences to the archive location first and when that is done create the archive and clean up everything inside the archive folder (remove everything, except 7-zip archives).

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 12:19 AM »
not sure if I've gotten this back to front or not, but I'm assuming from you're comments so far that you're only backing up to one machine...

this being the case it would seem to me the obvious thing to do would be to setup a backup routine on that machine that would periodically scan for that drive, then back it up if it hasn't already been done for that period instead of worrying about drive letters and platform changes.

there are probably any number of backup solutions that will do this, some even do incremental backups, but it should be simple enough to put something basic together that would do what you've asked

and if this is the case, how often would you want to back up (daily, weakly, etc), and how many copies would you want to keep?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 06:01 AM »
Actually Shades, we only use XP Pro on our network.  With the budget crunch, I doubt that we will be purchasing anything newer in the near future.  I was testing the script on one machine and it took hours to copy the 14gb over to the c drive.  Of courses, i was aware it wasn't going to be quick.

Target:  I was testing it only on one machine yesterday.  I usually use USBDLM to manage flash drives since our network has multiple drives mapped upon login.  I believe I can use USBDLM to give it the same drive letter everytime but will need to check that out.  but the laptop I was testing on does not have USBDLM installed on it.

Since my experience with Windows Backup is limited, not sure if it can do what you say or not. It would be nice to have saved a full backup and then just do changes only.

I cannot say for sure about how often I would do this since part of the problem is the frequency in which I plug it in.  I may go for a week or more and not plug it in and then it may get plugged in to the same machine 5 times in one day.

Which is why I want it to ask me before before it actually backs up just in case I don't have time for it to run.

I did try the one USB Flash Tools that Phil recommended but it cannot open the source file for some reason.  I have selected the correct drive.  Not sure how to fix this one.

I have not tried the USBDumper program yet.

I just thought this would be an easy no brainer for someone to whip out in a few minutes short amount of time, but guess i was wrong.  You know something like the USB Flash tools does... select the source, then select the destination, then select your compression method. Also to select full or changes only since last time(is this too much?) boom!  it starts!   :) :) :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:06 AM by techidave »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I have just found a program called PureSync that almost does what I want.  The free version does not support compression and it doesn't have the reminder window pop up to ask if you want to copy.  but it does have the option to autostart when you plug the flash drive in.

it looks like it will be faster than the script that was created for me.  But I am on a desktop now and not on the laptop like I was yesterday.

After I setup the job using their wizard, IT WORKED!   ;D 8) :Thmbsup: :eusa_dance: :greenclp:

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 02:22 PM »
If you no longer *must* have compression, then DSynchronize could be another option.

DSynch will allow you to configure assorted confirmations before any action is executed. Also, it has startup/timer options which make it more versatile than a basic synch tool.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Well, I still would like compression, but perhaps I don't need it as bad as I think I do??  :-\

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40 PM »
btw techidave, you've probably already read Gizmo's recommendations of synch tools, but I just figured I would mention the resource.:)

Looks like PureSync is their top pick.  http://www.techsuppo...nization-utility.htm

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Another thought.  I've never used the Windows folder compression myself, so I'm just going by an article I read how to turn on folder compression in XP:

http://www.ehow.com/...-folder-windows.html

but if the author is correct, that files copied in will automatically be compressed, then you may be able to use an ordinary sync utility and let the NTFS file system handle the compression itself.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  I hadn't read the gizmo review.  i will also read the article Miles referred to as well.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 06:20 PM »
If you do not need compression, I have used the program Allway Sync for keeping info synced up.
It is free, fast and powerful.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 02:33 AM »
Looks like Toucan meets all your requirements.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 05:24 AM »
I will check it out.  Thanks Phil.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Maybe the freeware version of SyncBack would suit your needs

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

I use SyncBackSE (shareware) version to backup or sync files from HD to USB drive.  Has options to compress (zip), run on auto insert of USB (but would need a device watcher app it installs).  If a sync/backup profile is run manually it can prompt user what to do (one way sync, two way sync, etc).

I use the SyncBackSE portable version so I just unzip and copy the app directory to my USB drive and run from there.  Don't know if the freeware version has separate portable download.  If not then run installer, copy directory app, and uninstall.  Then run syncback to see if it still runs.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39 AM »
I just found out about SyncButler from Kim Komando today.  But I haven't tried it yet.Link

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39 PM »
@techidave:
Here's an open source tool named Drive Backup which sounds worthwhile. Haven't had an opportunity to test yet.

http://awhite.us/wordpress/
http://www.addictive...e-with-drive-backup/

Note the software description includes the following...
Added ability to compress backups (uses SharpZIP library)

Regards