Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 09:12:10 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Closed Program Bin / Reopen accidentily closed software  (Read 40640 times)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:08:25 AM »

Sometimes you accidentily close a program but then want to retrieve it. Opera browser has a "closed pages bin" that gives access to your closed pages from this session. It would be good to have a "closed software bin" where any program that was closed would go and stay out of sight for a time period (say 60 sec) and then close by itself. if the software was minimized before sending to the closed software bin (could be a tray icon or part of the taskbar) I believe windows frees up memory.

Obvoisly  the point of it all is that you can reopen a program you accidentily closed without losing the information you were working on.

It wouldn't work well with games so perhaps it needs an exception list. Could this be realised? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:11:49 AM by justice » Logged

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:46:15 AM »

this is a very clever idea, but im not sure how you could do it..
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »

They tried to do something similar in WinME...not give up RAM when a program was closed right away...wait a few minutes.

That way if you reopened the same program it would open faster the 2nd time.

It was a disaster...a deliberate "memory leak" with really nasty results.

Minimizing an app to tray would have same effect on your system.

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »

So what you are saying is instead use a program that on close minimizes the software to your tray, and if you really want to close it immediately use a keyboard shortcut like ALT-F4 to bypass this mechanism?

But then you'd end up with dozens of items in your tray that you'd have to manually close. Maybe the implementation is not as straightforward then.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »

Also, don't forget that if that worked like that, you wouldn't like to keep the apps open, and you'd end up by always closing it through alt + f4 (because you'd create an habbit out of it). This means that you'd be in the exact same situation you are now.
I think that the only solution would be to have a program that would keep a "log" of the programs opened and closed. But i have no idea on how a program could keep such log.

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »

Hmmm... I"m out of my depth here BUT it seems to me that the OP was suggesting that programs be placed in a bin (cache?) for about 60 seconds BEFORE shutting down as normal. That would give you time to go "Oh my gosh! I didn't mean to close AutoCAD!" and retrieve it from the bin before it goes through its normal shutdown sequence. If implemented like this, I can't see how this would lead to a memory leak? If I understand it correctly, the bin would be a GUI that displays links to programs that are in a 60 second queue for normal shutdown - so that essentially all that is being done is that a 60 second delay is being put on the shutdown of apps. This could work, from an end-user's perspective if the option of ignoring some apps (webbrowsers for example) was part of it...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 12:12:57 AM »

smiley Try this one.

GoneIn60s - Recover closed applications.

Features:
 - Click the X or press Alt-F4 to close an application
 - Rightclick the tray icon and select the application to recover
 - Doubleclick the tray icon to recover all applications
 - If not restored, it is gone in 60 seconds

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:51:47 PM by skrommel » Logged

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:13:31 AM »

Wow, genius! Thanks so much!  Kiss Hopefully it will be useful to many others.

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:43:19 AM »

embarassed Thanks! I was wondering about hiding the windows instead of minimizing them. What do you think?

Skrommel
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:33:03 AM by skrommel » Logged

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 06:05:22 AM »

On the one hand it's easy to restore from the taskbar but I find they can still get in the way. hmm can you add them dynamically to the system tray menu  and hide them instead of minimizing them to the taskbar? I don't think people would restore software often enough to have them take up taskbar space.

Also I found that some slower software such as outlook becomes stuck semi transparently for a fraction of a second, a minor niggle really but if you know why? (maybe part of the minimizing animation of windows).

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 02:35:18 AM »

smiley I think I'll put the windows in the tray menu. I made the windows transparent just to remind the user that they could be restored, but maybe there's a better way of alerting him...

Skrommel

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 02:42:51 PM »

smiley Try GoneIn60s v1.1.

Changes:
- 20061202 - v1.1: Removes the closed apps from the taskbar, adds them to the tray menu. Restores closed apps on exit.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:59:59 AM by skrommel » Logged

dpierron
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 08:28:04 AM »

Thanks Skrommel ! I installed it, works great !
I'll use it for a week or so and see if I find it really useful.
One suggestion though : when restored, the windows position/size are messed up... Can you do something about this ? pretty low priority, though... The basic idea is that, normally, you don't have to restore windows ;o)

--
http://www.google.com/profiles/dpierron --- Google profile
http://davidsoft.free.fr --- De l'influence du ciel bleu sur le moral des motocyclistes
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1941488 -- Goodreads
http://davidsoft.free.fr/calibre2opds/calibre2opds -- calibre2opds
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »

Nice work Skrommel, havent tried it but this thread was exciting! Good to see you made the request  Grin

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 02:47:40 AM »

smiley Try GoneIn60s v1.2.

Changes:
- 20061228 - v1.2: Recovered apps reappear properly.

Skrommel

Betsy
Charter Member

I love Colorado!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

smiley Try GoneIn60s v1.2.

Changes:
- 20061228 - v1.2: Recovered apps reappear properly.

Skrommel
I tried "Gone in 60 seconds" a couple of months ago, and I ended up uninstalling it.  It brought everything back without me asking it to.  If I closed the program again, it would reopen it in 60 seconds again, and again, and again...
I would love to use this program, but not until I can prevent that glitch from happening.  Any suggestions?

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »

tellme I'm a but uncertain of what you mean, but I've made GoneIn60s close, not kill a program, to have it ask whether to save any unsaved work. It might be that this is happening.

I could make an option to kill a window instead of closing it...
I've also thought of making it so that rightclicking the X-button kills a program.

Skrommel

Betsy
Charter Member

I love Colorado!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »

tellme I'm a but uncertain of what you mean, but I've made GoneIn60s close, not kill a program, to have it ask whether to save any unsaved work. It might be that this is happening.

I could make an option to kill a window instead of closing it...
I've also thought of making it so that rightclicking the X-button kills a program.

No, I must not have explained it clearly.  Let's say I finished using Program A, so I closed it and had no intention of reopening it.  I went on about my business, but a while later Program A popped up all by itself, re-opened by "Gone in 60 Seconds."  I frowned and closed it, and in a little while it popped up again, re-opened by "Gone in 60 seconds."  This went on endlessly until I uninstalled "Gone in 60 seconds."  That's the problem I was referring to.

Skrommel

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 09:45:52 PM »

tellme Exactly the behaviour you would get from an app with unsaved data.

Skrommel

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »

Just to feed back to you. There's some problems with, what I think ,the way such software can "catch" closed software. For example, on exiting an app with unsaved info, some spawn a new dialogue asking you whether you want it saved or not, others must spawn a dialogue as part of their app. I am a web developer not a win32 developer so perhaps I am mistaken.

For example the dialogue box on exiting notepad causes problems with GoneIn60s. I also had some problems with Quicktime, closing it while it's still buffering and downloading a movie locked up my pc. I guess this is due to Quicktime's implementation, maybe there are too many variations?

skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »

tellme So who's woting to kill the windows instead of closing them, risking the loss of unsaved data?

Skrommel

nowshining
Charter Member

Ugh! Hello! Anybody there?

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »

some suggestions: make the shutdown  time adjustable and make an ignore option, because i have some programs that when the X is closed it auto desends to the tray as an icon, and when the seconds are up it just  re-pops up now because gonein60 just cached it..very frustrating.. Sad Examples are Utorrent, Frostwire, & Peerguardian2...

First site to ever donate to "THIS ONE RIGHT HERE" smiley
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:14:30 PM »

smiley Try GoneIn60s v1.3!

Changes:
- 20070615 - v1.3: Added options to change the gone time, kill windows and ignore apps.

Skrommel

Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »

Uhm... I found a bug in Gonein60s regarding Notepad++:

I open the application ...

... send it to the tray ...

... and the application's toolbar disappears!

But why?

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
bigbazza
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »

Like Betsy
If I closed the program again, it would reopen it in 60 seconds again, and again, and again...
I would love to use this program, but not until I can prevent that glitch from happening.  Any suggestions?
I have some programs that keep on coming back and some that it doesn't save at all. Idea is great. Sometimes it works but not always  huh  Bazza
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.053s | Server load: 0.01 ]