topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Log Monitor - Great Free Tool for Monitoring Files+Dirs and Acting on Changes  (Read 15281 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Log Monitor - Great Free Tool for Monitoring Files+Dirs and Acting on Changes

This program, an abandoned freeware utility, has been mentioned before on the forum but i don't think it quite got the attention it deserves.  It's a deceptively powerfull and useful program.

Latest version seems to have been v1.42, but it appears to have been discontinued a while ago.. If someone feels like getting in touch with the author, tell him to stop by!

Log Monitor is a program for monitoring of changes of files and directories, capable to fulfil a number of actions at reaching the given conditions. Main purpose of the program is to automate the routine operations based on files exchange and also to watch a state of processes, being based on their file activity.

Also mentioned on the forum in passing in these threads:

Archived forum: http://web.archive.o...forum/list.asp?id=35

Credit to patteo who first alerted us to this tool.  I actually use Log Monitor with my internet radio station downloader to detect when a new file is downloaded, rename it with date+time stamp, and then file it for storage.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:10 PM by mouser »

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser,

i have downloaded Log Monitor too and trying to use it...

but i cant seem to get it to work...

i am monitoring the temp folder for music download from radioblog but it always say

"error copying files or folder"

Can you help me? Thanks.

Joe

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
is it possible that the music program is writing it out to that directory while its saveing it and so log monitor is trying to copy it before the file is complete?  not sure.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't get Log Monitor do process any results. For example I have set it up for it to popup every minute if a file in my temp directory has changed/added/deleted and every time it runs and it has results (so it does the scanning bit right) it displays a popup with [N].[E] instead of the actual file!

I'll include contents of my test config.

Edit:
I have something working now. Make sure you do a Check Now instead of Do Action Now to test it.
I enclosed Final.mon.txt for anyone as an example
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:08 AM by justice »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hamradio was just asking for a tool like this so i thought i would bump the topic and also add this link to Brett's program he made for NANY that is similar:
http://nany.donation...m/index.php?item=915

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I asked my Russian speaking friend to see if he can contact the author to find out if we can get some updates or the source code.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
<bump> tinjaw did you ever get anywhere?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I searched through some old emails and it turns out that the developer is/became part of BITRIX. I never went further than that. I might be worthwhile emailing them and seeing if they can put you in touch with him. Or you might want to try via this webpage.