Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 26, 2014, 03:36:41 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DimSaver being flagged by AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition  (Read 12193 times)
patthecat

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »

Since today's update of the AVG Anti-Virus (Free edition) signatures (program version 7.1.407; virus base 268.12.12/462; 10/3/2006), it is flagging DimSaver.scr as the trojan PSW.Agent.CRB

I checked the file TrendMicro Housecall (web version) and it did not find anything, so I think it may be a false positive on AVG's part.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »

remember that all of skrommel's software come in source code versions (compilable easily with autohotkey), so when in doubt, compile it! smiley

but thanks for the report, these false virus reports are always super annoying.
awefawe
Participant

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:48:58 PM »

I downloaded the AHK source code, deleted a couple line breaks, and recompiled it; the AVG detection went away.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:50:34 PM »

hehehe those evil viral blank lines huh  tongue
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:51:48 PM »

AVG latest update seems to have screwed up things. also a concern in this  topic. someone would have to write-in & let them know, someone who is using the premium edition that is.. Wink

until then awefawe's solution looks good. cheesy
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:53:22 PM by lanux128 » Logged

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 01:18:54 AM »

this warning is also being noticed in AHK forums: Compiled scripts detected as trojans.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 05:39:48 AM »

AVG's updates lately have been catching all kinds of things and flagging them...lots of false positives.

I have had a problem with Flaming Pear's Flood plugin for Photoshop and Paintshop Pro. I have had this plugin for many years and recently started getting notices from AVG every time I started Paintshop Pro. Then about 3 updates later the notices stopped. I am glad they fixed the prob. It was starting to drive me nuts.

Muadib
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 08:57:10 AM »

Hi People,

Once again AVG (7.5) is flagging DimSaver.scr as containing "Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic8.JOL". I know that is not true, but it's so annoying...

Can somebody give an idea about how to tell AVG to ignore the file? I already have tried to move it to the Vault and tell AVG to ignore the file, but the resident part is still detecting and removing it form System32 folder...  Angry

Maybe Skrommel can contact Grisoft to tell them to remove DimSaver from their list in the next update?

Thanks.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »

in the meantime try re-compiling the AHK source with the latest Autohotkey program and renaming DimSaver.exe as an SCR.

Muadib
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »

in the meantime try re-compiling the AHK source with the latest Autohotkey program and renaming DimSaver.exe as an SCR.
Thanks lanux128 for the advice.

Even though I never compiled Autohotkey programs before, I would like to have a try.

Can you tell where I can get the code, please? I've tried in the Skrommel's page without success. And if possible, maybe a link for a "dummy proof" step-by-step instructions of how to compile it?

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:07:52 PM by Muadib » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:46:04 PM »

you need a program called "Ahk2Exe" which is included with the Autohotkey installer. after installing AHK, look in the Start Menu and you'll find a link to Ahk2Exe (see pic). start the program, choose your AHK script & click "convert" and you're done. more info on this can be found here..

Convert a Script to an EXE (ahk2exe)

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »

Or ff you install autohotkey, the only thing you need to do it right-click the .ahk file and select "compile" smiley

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »

also found instructions on how to report a false positive from these threads on AVG Free/AHK forum..

Quote from: thread
Re: False positive for Autohotkey v1.0.46.08
Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2007 04:51AM

So then you need to submit it to Grisoft then...

If you suspect a file to be a false positive. Test the file at [virusscan.jotti.org] and if it is a false positive, archive (zip, arc, tar etc) the file using a password and email a copy to virus@grisoft.com with a brief description as well as the password you used to archive it with.

If it is a false positive , turn off hueristic scanning for the time being. When Grisoft adjusts the virus defintions you can turn it back on.

The help on the forum is only from other AVG Free users so we can't do anything to address it but Grisoft can.

Source(s):
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,93902
http://www.autohotkey.com...rum/viewtopic.php?t=17163

Muadib
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

Thank you lanux128 and jgpaiva for all the information.

I've tried to turn off the AVG's Heuristic Analysis in the resident and scanning part, but this didn't solve the problem. I think I need to send them the file instead.

I'm glad for all your kind help, but can I ask one more thing? Can you tell me the URL where I can find the DimSaver's AHK code? So I can have a try compiling it.

Thank you again for all.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »

you're welcome, Muadib.. the AHK source can be found here.. just click on the 'H' image to save the source..

DimSaver

Muadib
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 05:49:19 AM »

Thanks lanux128!

you're welcome, Muadib.. the AHK source can be found here.. just click on the 'H' image to save the source..
 (see attachment in previous post)DimSaver

Ahhhh.... now I'm feeling stupid

Sorry for the silly question...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:51:24 AM by Muadib » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 07:19:48 PM »

you're welcome, glad to be of help.. smiley as the cliché goes: there are no silly questions..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.05s | Server load: 0.13 ]