topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a Search & Replace utility (with command line) to replace text  (Read 3872 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Can anyone suggest a Freeware Search and replace utility (with command line) to replace text in a text file.

Command line commands are absolutely required in this case.

Basically, I'm looking for a utility to search for expressions in a text file that are the the following formats

(46:2)
(22:3)
(1:3)

and replace them with say
(Ge 46:2)
(Ge 22:3)
(Ge 1:3)

Why I would need commandline commands is so that I could create a batch file so I can issue a string of command easily make all the changes)

Any help appreciated.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Sri

In fact, by co-incidence, I was just trying out BK Replacem.

It does not exactly have a commandline, but you can define the commands in a set and call it up via the command line.

But I did find another one : It doesn't look as nice but my initial testing shows that it works.

Bulk File Find/Replace Tool
"Don’t you ever want to search many many files in nested directories and find certain text to replace with something else? Is it not tedious? Do we all not have something better to do?

So, after searching the net, I could not find a free tool and I decided it will take less time to write one than to search for one.

I created a command line tool replace.exe (which is scriptable) and decided to share it with you.

You can download the replace.exe now for free. Replace.exe is a Windows command line utility that searches files in directories to find a given text and replace with another.

Currently it does not support regular expression search, the text to search needs to be exact match, except that case sensitive or insensitive search option can be specified."
http://www.bestcode....tml/findreplace.html