Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 11:50:08 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Program to Monitor Size of Specific Directories?  (Read 2824 times)
ragnar01
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:29:11 PM »

I'm looking for a program/utility/widget that monitors the size of a (number of) directories and notifies the user when a preset size limit is reached. I can't believe noone has come up with something like this (ot more to the point, I can believe that I just haven't put in the right search terms so far).

Need/Concept is as follows:

I have a couple of unsophisticated users that have automatic or semi-automatic backup procedures enabled. The backup program writes zip files to a number of directories that I would like to have the users burn to CD or DVD when there is a reasonable amt of data to burn. What I would like to find is a program that runs in the background and monitors 1-5 directories and checks their size against a specified size. If the directory reaches (say) 75% of specified size a warning would show up on the desktop (say a yellow flashing light), if the size is larger than the limit a red warning flashes.

There was a Yahoo widget program of a similar concept but the directories were hard coded, and size limits weren't changeable - it would be nice to be able to set specific locations and custom sizes.

Any one have any suggestions or solutions in mind?

ragnar01
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:38:40 AM »

is this what you want? CheckQuota

CheckQuota is the professional monitor program for directories. It monitors directory size and sends alerts if a limit was exceeded.
But CheckQuota has much more features. So it can works like a real disk quota program. Real disk quota this means, it can lock directories the write access for specified user if a maximum usage limit was reached.

wr975
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »

Here's a quick and dirty AHK script... It was more of a challenge for me to see if I can do it (and learn some functions). smiley

No yellow/red desktop messages, but just messageboxes. Perhaps Skrommel or someone else will do something better. The idea sounds quite nice.

• Download and extract the attachment
  • Download + install Autohotkey, then you can start the script
  • Edit the ini file. Edit the example entries and add as many folders you want. Restart the script if you changed the ini.
  • Edit the ahk file in Notepad to set the timer and change the text messages.

FWIW, here's the code for people who don't want to download the attachment:

* test.zip (0.96 KB - downloaded 121 times.)
ragnar01
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:14:35 AM »

I'll check out both the program and the AHK script. The script sounds more like what I had in mind.

I will post comments when available.

Thanks

ragnar01
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.029s | Server load: 0.03 ]