topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need a WinPE USB or ISO tool to load Ext HDD.  (Read 4161 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need a WinPE USB or ISO tool to load Ext HDD.
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Hello, i just recently purchased a 4 TB Ext HDD. It requires Win7,8 & 10 OS to run.
I am running Winxp, my hardware actually came with Winxp and i tried 7 but continuously got some error when i
would insert a device like a, wireless device. So after thinking a hell out, i decided i would switched to xp again.
What cannot it do that 7 can. XP is still good on hardware it came with.
So, my new Ext HDD doesn't run on xp.
So i was hoping to get my hands on a Winpe utility so that i can burn it on a DVD and from there on i would load it and copy some files
from my another 1 TB Ext HDD.
It is some good 250 GB of files that i need to transfer.
Hope i my problem is understood, or what would u suggest. I cannot load that new HDD when i am on XP. So it can be booted
being on a Win7 environment, so like a WinPE for Win 7.
I tried a live Ubuntu and it did boot and recognized my new Ext HDD and i copied a lot of files.
On a next reboot , i didn't give the live Ubuntu USB enough time to reboot itself, i removed the usb half way and now the condition is
i cannot load Live Ubuntu it show some kind of error msg when it is about to load.
It simply doesn't recognized other USB device. Its failing and the only option left is a Winpe tool.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need a WinPE USB or ISO tool to load Ext HDD.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:53 PM »
If you couldn't run Win7 on your machine, how is any WinPE after XP going to run?

To handle >2TB in XP x86 you need to either:
1) format the HDD using GPT partitions, (instead of MBR), which XP x86 can't handle anyway, or
2) see if there is some utility on the manufacturers website that will format it so it can be used on XP, (something they used to provide).

There was a driver that allows XP to handle GPT, Paragon GPT Loader but it's discontinued, send them a message maybe they'll give you a copy.

The other alternative if you want to stay with XP is to move to XP x64.

On a next reboot , i didn't give the live Ubuntu USB enough time to reboot itself, i removed the usb half way and now the condition is
i cannot load Live Ubuntu it show some kind of error msg when it is about to load.

So download and put it on the flash drive again.

Windows and GPT FAQ
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:01 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 01:25 AM »
If you couldn't run Win7 on your machine, how is any WinPE after XP going to run?

To handle >2TB in XP x86 you need to either:
1) format the HDD using GPT partitions, (instead of MBR), which XP x86 can't handle anyway, or
2) see if there is some utility on the manufacturers website that will format it so it can be used on XP, (something they used to provide).

There was a driver that allows XP to handle GPT, Paragon GPT Loader but it's discontinued, send them a message maybe they'll give you a copy.

The other alternative if you want to stay with XP is to move to XP x64.

Windows and GPT FAQ
My machine run Win7 fine, however what i meant was it was failing to recognize a wireless device. Like a Wireless Adapter to connect to net,
and later i realized it was due to faulty driver installation. XP is running that device fine it shows no BSOD, my DVD drive was trashed and i had to
use a portable Ext DVD drive, which didn't do the job properly or reading the disc drivers.

So download and put it on the flash drive again.
Anyways i still can do this. Yeah.
Reinstall Ubuntu to the USB and boot from there, as long as it is working. Why not. hmmmm

Also the GPT thing is only for internal 2.2 TB+ above HDD, not for External. And, it can only be used as a Secondary unit.
I got it downloaded but just saw a GUI, its for Internal 2-3TB HDD.
Anyways don't have much use for Paragon GPT, i'll go will Live Ubuntu.
Why not.

Thank you 4wd, your suggestion is valuable.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Are 4Tbyte disks even supported in XP?

Also, the BIOS or UEFI system in your computer might have a limitation of only supporting drives that are 2TByte or smaller. In that case you must look for a tool from the hard disk manufacturer to enable the remaining part of the storage capacity. Still, even with such a tool you won't be able to create partitions bigger than 2TByte.

ajlixx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 06:10 PM »

if you have 7 disc you can make winpe with aomei winpe builder

you are completely mistaken when you say that gpt is only for internal drives 2,2tb and larger - it is of course for every drive 2,2+, because only gpt can see entire drive - old type partition table mbr can see only 2,2 tb, so what point in offering external drives 4tb of which a half is of no use at all

so to use your entire 4tb drive you have to make it gpt, ie convert it to gpt with diskpart from winpe, create partitions, etc

winpe should work because diskpart and disk drivers from vista up work with gpt - even 7 32 winpe should work, because 64 is necessary only for booting from gpt, not working with it

also, in case of large drives should be remembered, that older systems, up to 8, work only with so called 512e drives, ie emulating old 512 byte sectors, not with 4kb native drives, with 4kb sectors without emulation

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Are 4Tbyte disks even supported in XP?

XP x64 for data only.