topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Interesting read: Apple is really bad at design  (Read 7709 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Interesting read: Apple is really bad at design
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:47 AM »
The “notch” on the new iPhone X is not just strange, interesting, or even odd — it is bad. It is bad design, and as a result, bad for the user experience...Plenty has been written about the mind-numbing, face-palming, irritating stupidity of the notch. And yet, I can’t stop thinking about it. I would love to say that this awful design compromise is an anomaly for Apple. But it would be more accurate to describe it as the norm.

from http://www.osnews.co..._chins_and_foreheads

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting read: Apple is really bad at design
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for this!

I've worked for many years doing interface design for some very big companies. What's almost universal is the awestruck reverence for Apple's design chops. It nicely combines corporate culture's respect for hierarchy with capitalism's tendency to let others innovate so as to avoid risk. The point is, people expect Apple to have gotten it right, and then copy them (as far as the budget allows) on the belief that their design work is the gold standard.

I don't expect this attitude to change just because the quality of Apple's design work has changed. Once people start playing follow-the-leader, the leader no longer has to worry about earning their position. A deterioration of the quality of Apple's design work will have repercussions well beyond Apple's products and customers.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:18 PM »
"Haven't read yet" type remark in passing.

So maybe some "notch" thingie" might not be so hot, but "Apple is bad at design" is a pretty big stretch!

Ignoring all the privacy type problems in that other policy thing they do, I think Apple nailed some 85ish out of 100 design decisions they have made across some eight products. Enough to pulverize entire businesses!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:27 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:34 PM »
It seems to me that most tech sites have reacted to the news of the iPhone X with anything ranging from excitement to cautious optimism to confusion, as well as some disapproval. But I haven't seen anything that matches the derision like when Microsoft announced Windows 10.