topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I need more english knowledge  (Read 6856 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need more english knowledge
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:30 PM »
I am trying to register in the forum dexpot and ask me this :

Our software is spelled like another word for a warehouse. What is it?:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

http://dexpot.de/forum

What is the answer ?

Best Regards

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I need more english knowledge
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Depot
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Thank a lot tomos.  :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I was going to post this here:
You should do an English course
We should do a Spanish course :-[

:D

Then I saw this in the book reading thread:
I am taking very seriously english learning.
so, some months ago, I am trying to read in english.

Well done!
Listening to English is probably helpful too.
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Wow - that's a pretty unusual CAPTCHA.  I can't believe that whoever implemented or thought it up didn't consider that people who aren't native English speakers would have significant trouble.  I've spoken English my whole life and it took me a bit of thinking to realize what they were looking for.  First to understand the question, then to realize "dexpot" --> "depot".

Still I think it's better then some of the unreadable "hidden letters" CAPTCHAs I've come across. Even the term "CAPTCHA" is hideous - someone please tell me there's a better (but still widely accepted) term.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:09 PM »
I've spoken English my whole life and it took me a bit of thinking to realize what they were looking for.

Yeah, same here. The first word that came to mind was 'despot', which also distracted me for a bit...
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:15 AM »
Our software is spelled like another word for a warehouse. What is it?:

I didn't even understand the question! Why didn't they include the word almost? : >>Our software is almost spelled like another word<<. Of course I took it all too literally and was thinking about dexpot, dexpot, hm... dexpot, now, Curt, what is dexpot?<<
 :-[

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 04:12 AM »
I've spoken English my whole life and it took me a bit of thinking to realize what they were looking for.

Yeah, same here. The first word that came to mind was 'despot', which also distracted me for a bit...

Meh, I always immediately think 'sexpot' when I see them mentioned.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00 AM »
I was going to post this here:
You should do an English course
We should do a Spanish course :-[

:D

Then I saw this in the book reading thread:
I am taking very seriously english learning.
so, some months ago, I am trying to read in english.

Well done!
Listening to English is probably helpful too.
All the movies I see are in english mostly. One : The Great Wall , action action action !!!!!!!!
 :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04 AM »

:P

It's depot. It works !!!!!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33 AM »

Someone's mind is in the gutter!   ;) ;D 8)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37 AM »
...Meh, I always immediately think 'sexpot' when I see them mentioned.
My Scrabble and crossword-solving habits automatically kick into action and I get confuzzled. For example, "sexpot" is my first try, because, working from left to right it rather looks like a typo - the "S" key being just to the left of the "D" key on the standard QWERTY keyboard. Then, I get to the "X" in "dexpot" and think it might be "despot", because "X" is just below the "S" key on the standard QWERTY keyboard. But both keys can't be "S", because "sespot" isn't a proper word either.

Ergonomically then, that CAPTCHA could seem to be a tad confusing for English or non-Engrish speakers/readers/writers, especially since, phonetically, "depot" sounds nothing like "dexpot" - the "x" not being silent.

The key is "warehouse", yes, but as @Curt says:
...I didn't even understand the question! Why didn't they include the word almost? : >>Our software is almost spelled like another word<<. ...
1 a place for the storage of large quantities of a commodity.
2 a place where buses, trains, or other vehicles are housed and maintained. Ø N. Amer. a railway or bus station.
3 the headquarters of a regiment.
– ORIGIN C18 (in the sense ‘act of depositing’): from Fr. dépôt, from L. depositum (see deposit).
Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.)
1 a large building where raw materials or manufactured goods may be stored.
2 a large wholesale or retail store.
· v. /also -haUz/
1 store (goods) in a warehouse. Ø place (imported goods) in a bonded warehouse pending the payment of import duty.
2 N. Amer. informal place (a prisoner or a psychiatric patient) in a large institution offering unsatisfactory care.
– DERIVATIVES warehousing n.
Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.)

- are not necessarily one and the same thing - e.g., I would almost never equate depot-->warehouse in my use of English.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: I need more English knowledge - TRY THIS
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:52 PM »
@Contro: For many years, dedicated English teachers (religious and atheist) the world over have relied on a single book as a de facto ideal training tool for speaking/writing English - it is the 400 year old (updated) King James version of the Bible. The reason they use the Bible is the highly efficient, concise and correct use of the English language that the many learned translators and editors were able to produce to correctly and fully reflect the original scripts which they worked from.

For reference, see also:

As a free and potentially excellent English study aid, I would also recommend that you download Interfaith Explorer (current version 2.4.0): Interfaith Explorer (FREE) - Mini-Review
You can download the Interfaith Explorer application and the English, Spanish and other language modules from the downloads page: http://bahairesearch.com/WinApp/Pages/Download.aspx

Interfaith Explorer is produced by the B'hai faith and has the King James version in English and Spanish, or whichever languages you select, and, once they are installed, you can compare them in the Interfaith Explorer viewer.

There is also the Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament Recovery Version, which can be obtained free of charge in some countries. Translated directly from the old (I think mostly Greek) scripts, I am unsure how it compares to the KJV.
The word "Recovery" in "Recovery Version" refers to the regaining of biblical truths that have been lost, misunderstood, or misapplied throughout history. The Recovery Version, with its accurate translation of the scriptures and extensive study aids, presents these truths and relates them to the Bible's central theme - God's plan to dispense himself into man.
- Copied from a note in a 2017 brochure issued by the Bibles for New Zealand (bfnz.org.nz) and offering the New Testament Recovery Version for free.

Coincidentally, for some time I had been meaning to order a free copy of the New Testament Recovery Version, and writing this comment has just reminded me to do it!    :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:02 PM »
@Contro: For many years, dedicated English teachers (religious and atheist) the world over have relied on a single book as a de facto ideal training tool for speaking/writing English - it is the 400 year old (updated) King James version of the Bible. The reason they use the Bible is the highly efficient, concise and correct use of the English language that the many learned translators and editors were able to produce to correctly and fully reflect the original scripts which they worked from.

For reference, see also:

As a free and potentially excellent English study aid, I would also recommend that you download Interfaith Explorer (current version 2.4.0): Interfaith Explorer (FREE) - Mini-Review
You can download the Interfaith Explorer application and the English, Spanish and other language modules from the downloads page: http://bahairesearch.com/WinApp/Pages/Download.aspx

Interfaith Explorer is produced by the B'hai faith and has the King James version in English and Spanish, or whichever languages you select, and, once they are installed, you can compare them in the Interfaith Explorer viewer.

There is also the Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament Recovery Version, which can be obtained free of charge in some countries. Translated directly from the old (I think mostly Greek) scripts, I am unsure how it compares to the KJV.
The word "Recovery" in "Recovery Version" refers to the regaining of biblical truths that have been lost, misunderstood, or misapplied throughout history. The Recovery Version, with its accurate translation of the scriptures and extensive study aids, presents these truths and relates them to the Bible's central theme - God's plan to dispense himself into man.
- Copied from a note in a 2017 brochure issued by the Bibles for New Zealand (bfnz.org.nz) and offering the New Testament Recovery Version for free.

Coincidentally, for some time I had been meaning to order a free copy of the New Testament Recovery Version, and writing this comment has just reminded me to do it!    :-[
I locate a few weeks ago bible software for citations like popup wisdom.
There is a lot of material to memorize the bible in the web.
Thanks for the opportunity to learn english with the Bible !
 :-*

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 05:49 PM »
I had a woman reporting to me that had problems in English.  We were able to get her a subscription to Rosetta Stone.  She started to drastically get better, and then I suggested that they let her sign up for tutoring- not through rosetta stone, but through one of the more casual sites, where you pay for a period of time, and just talk colloquially to the person.  That accelerated her learning.  She still has problems, but she still uses both on the company's dime, and seems to be very satisfied with her progress; her self-esteem has risen drastically, as has her performance.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 02:00 AM »
BTW .

How is known the speaking style or writing mixing english and spanish ?

By example in the novel The brief and wondrous  life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Best Regards.

P.D. In Spain is known as "Spanglish"  :-*

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:07 AM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 02:05 AM »
I had a woman reporting to me that had problems in English.  We were able to get her a subscription to Rosetta Stone.  She started to drastically get better, and then I suggested that they let her sign up for tutoring- not through rosetta stone, but through one of the more casual sites, where you pay for a period of time, and just talk colloquially to the person.  That accelerated her learning.  She still has problems, but she still uses both on the company's dime, and seems to be very satisfied with her progress; her self-esteem has risen drastically, as has her performance.
I am suscribed to two reading club : Ámbito Cultural de el Corte Inglés, Club de Lectura Tenerife de TEA .