topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for smartphone  (Read 146834 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for smartphone
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Hello!

I need a new smartphone with:
1) 3GB at least RAM as my 2GB Note2 struggles
2) good screen view under sunlight
3) good removable battery life

Can you suggest me any?
Is any of these any good? http://www.ebay.co.u...p;rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
Are Lenovo good? Any specific?

Btw, they must be good quality, not falling apart, bad voice quality, etc.

thanks!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for smartphone
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Only buy a phone with the Android-based MIUI OS, (eg. XIAOMI), if you're willing to install another firmware, perform extensive setting modification, or willing to put up with chronic privacy invasion - FWIW, I have a XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 running non-standard firmware.

I recommend you get a phone with a Qualcomm processor, (ie. SnapDragon SoC), not MTK, as it is better supported by third party firmware, eg. CyanogenMod, and you'll get Android version updates a lot faster.

Besides that, you haven't said anything about your other needs, ie. Dual (4G) SIM, microSD, HD/FHD, battery life, network coverage, etc, etc.

XIAOMI just released the Redmi Note 3 Special Edition which has world-wide 4G band coverage, (and there's a CyanogenMod version available to install with a little fiddling).

Since you're in the UK: WileyFox
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:09 PM by 4wd »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:00 PM »
I'm also looking for a phone! my specs are ease of use, good battery, tv output, bluetooth modem, strong case, android, enough ram to browse the internet,watch youtube and run emulators, 40 dollars at most
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:07 PM by kilele »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I'm also looking for a phone! my specs are ease of use, good battery, tv output, bluetooth modem, strong case, android, enough ram to browse the internet,watch youtube and run emulators, 40 dollars at most

You're on the wrong planet.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:29 PM »

I'd probably go for a Young 2 G130 on ebay, something a bit old.. though I don't know if his one can be connected to tv

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59 PM »

I'd probably go for a Young 2 G130 on ebay, something a bit old.. though I don't know if his one can be connected to tv

You want a phone that either has MHL output via the MicroUSB or HDMI output but they probably won't be cheap.  It's much easier to cast the output to a TV using something like Chromecast or one of the many cheap Android TV sticks.  I've got one of these: MK808B+

If you choose to cast to the TV then any reasonably cheap late model Android phone should be suitable, eg. I've ordered one of these: HT16 for US$50 just to play with Android 6.

Young 2 G130
Having had Android phones with 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and now 2GB of RAM I wouldn't look at anything with less than 1GB, with 2GB being better (naturally).  MTK SoC based Android phones are cheap, you can get 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM versions for less than US$80 from China, (for example).  1GB RAM + 8GB ROM even cheaper, (especially if you grab them during prerelease sales).

BTW, why Bluetooth modem?
Do you just want to tether a computer/laptop/etc to access the internet over the phone?

You can turn on either USB tether or WiFi Hotspot in that case, (I think you can also tether via Bluetooth but I've never used it).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:56 AM by 4wd »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:36 AM »
@4wd thanks!

Actually I'd like a quite cheap an very portable (small) phone to make just calls. Thus The 5'' HT16 is too big for me. If I needed to browse internet, managing google drive, etc I'd do it from tv.

So based on your recommendations, besides a (smaller) phone I'd need one more device: a chromecast or android tv stick (maybe it's best a stick because you can cast to it as well as having another android machine).

The problem with casting is that I wanted to pass video output onto old TVs. That's why I thought of outdated phones. Nokia N95 or N93 seem to have bluetooth and a good tv output through composite video.

Why bluetooth tethering? I've noticed that bluetooth is more reliable than wifi or usb.. Ipad's bluetooth works nice, also it doesn't have usb inputs. As I say wifi has been problematic in my experience, bluetooth seems to be the most compatible option.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:42 AM by kilele »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Why bluetooth tethering? I've noticed that bluetooth is more reliable than wifi or usb.. Ipad's bluetooth works nice, also it doesn't have usb inputs. As I say wifi has been problematic in my experience, bluetooth seems to be the most compatible option.

Interesting, never had a problem with WiFi Hotspot plus it lets me use more than one device at a time.
If you want small and cheap, look for second hand Huawei Ascend phones, Y300 or there abouts - I have a Y300 sitting here I've installed Android 6 on plus apart from not having Dual SIM and only BT2.1, it looks to have better specs than the Young 2 you've mentioned for not much bigger despite being older.

Of course, it depends what region you're in as to what's available.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 09:48 AM »
@4wd
I went for a second hand Y530
Now I may get the MK808B+ Android tv stick since my old pcs with winxp are unresponsive. Oh I may need a bluetooth keyboard  :tellme:

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11 PM »
He I've made a list on ebay to cast your phone on tv. I've yet to make my mind.
http://www.ebay.co.u...0121014?roken=cUgayN
Will these kind of mini android pcs mean the end of my days as Microsoft user? At least it will bring up memories from when I plugged my Sinclair Speccy to the family tv

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 07:07 PM »
you hijacked my thread!

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12 PM »
you hijacked my thread!
:o :o :-[ :-* :D

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Only buy a phone with the Android-based MIUI OS, (eg. XIAOMI), if you're willing to install another firmware, perform extensive setting modification, or willing to put up with chronic privacy invasion - FWIW, I have a XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 running non-standard firmware.

I recommend you get a phone with a Qualcomm processor, (ie. SnapDragon SoC), not MTK, as it is better supported by third party firmware, eg. CyanogenMod, and you'll get Android version updates a lot faster.

Besides that, you haven't said anything about your other needs, ie. Dual (4G) SIM, microSD, HD/FHD, battery life, network coverage, etc, etc.

XIAOMI just released the Redmi Note 3 Special Edition which has world-wide 4G band coverage, (and there's a CyanogenMod version available to install with a little fiddling).

I am about to buy Xiaomi RedMi Note 3, but it doesn't have removable battery! that is a major con because after few months/years the battery loses its performance and needs replacement!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:57 AM »

I am about to buy Xiaomi RedMi Note 3, but it doesn't have removable battery! that is a major con because after few months/years the battery loses its performance and needs replacement!

Obviously you can:
Battery
Tear down

DO NOT fall for the batteries that advertise a higher capacity than the standard BM46 - to have a higher capacity means it has to be a physically bigger battery, ie. it won't fit.  If it is the same dimensions then it probably means that the marked capacity is BS.  Do the research and buy from a reputable seller, check the XIAOMI forums, ask.

BTW, you do know there is multiple models of the Redmi Note 3 don't you?

Some with MTK X10 processor and some with a SnapDragon 650 processor, (there's also the 3S with a SnapDragon 430) - you'll probably find there is differences in the 4G bands covered also.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:59 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24 AM »
He I've made a list on ebay to cast your phone on tv. I've yet to make my mind.
http://www.ebay.co.u...0121014?roken=cUgayN

It's entirely up to you, set a price point then see what's available.  I'd go for at least 1GB of RAM (more RAM is better) and a quad-core processor, read on forums, see what's available in alternate firmware in case you want to play with it.  See what the one you're interested in is like for video playback, some stutter due to insufficient cores/RAM/etc, search the forums - it's pretty easy to find info using the model numbers.
Make sure it has the connectivity you want/need.

BTW, the Huawei Y550 would have doubled your RAM and the processor cores, IPS screen, and given you 4G LTE connectivity, (I also have one of those sitting here).  And it's a 1mm or less increase in dimensions all round.

Research, research, research  ;)

I don't use mine for casting very much, (I have a WD TV Live if I want to watch stuff of the net/server), it was more for a portable mini media player since I can plug in a microSD card full of stuff to watch, or I can use it as a simple internet PC if I want to, say in hotels, etc.

Will these kind of mini android pcs mean the end of my days as Microsoft user?

That is also entirely up to you, I doubt I'll ever be able to run something like Sony Movie Studio on something like this.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46 AM »
@4wd
Yes, I probably took a rushed decision. The 30 pounds Y530 has only .5gb ram but I think there was not a second hand Y550 at the moment.
As for minipcs, I don't want to abandon windows not even on portable sticks. Yesterday I added one model to the list which is dual operating system, Win10 and Android. I'll do a bit more of research on minipcs ;)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 01:06 PM »

Obviously you can:
Battery
Tear down

DO NOT fall for the batteries that advertise a higher capacity than the standard BM46 - to have a higher capacity means it has to be a physically bigger battery, ie. it won't fit.  If it is the same dimensions then it probably means that the marked capacity is BS.  Do the research and buy from a reputable seller, check the XIAOMI forums, ask.

BTW, you do know there is multiple models of the Redmi Note 3 don't you?

Some with MTK X10 processor and some with a SnapDragon 650 processor, (there's also the 3S with a SnapDragon 430) - you'll probably find there is differences in the 4G bands covered also.

No I didn't know there are many Redmi Note 3, can you find me one on ebay to buy? thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 03:09 PM »
this one made me laugh -

No I didn't know there are many Redmi Note 3, can you find me one on ebay to buy? thanks!

. . .  :-\
Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54 PM »
this one made me laugh -

. . .  :-\

what? I thought the versions would be the obvious, like 2GB/16GB and 3GB/32GB versions
if there are tons of obscure versions that do not appear on the official website, how can I know which to buy?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14 PM »
^ well, if you're going to call me on this:

I thought the versions would be the obvious, like 2GB/16GB and 3GB/32GB versions

if that is the case, why do you need someone to type 'Redmi 3' into Ebay for you?
Take a little initiative and do the searching yourself -- if you're then unsure, at least you've made an effort, and whoever is considering helping, has something to start with.

edit// maybe you thought that before you posted?
If that's the case, you could still look and see what available on ebay - if it's anything like here in Germany, it'll only be a couple of offers.
So my point still stands. Take a little initiative.
Sometimes Kalos, you remind me of those people that ask a question and request that the answer be sent to their email address which they also post...
Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16 PM »
^ well, if you're going to call me on this:

I thought the versions would be the obvious, like 2GB/16GB and 3GB/32GB versions

if that is the case, why do you need someone to type 'Redmi 3' into Ebay for you?
Take a little initiative and do the searching yourself -- if you're then unsure, at least you've made an effort, and whoever is considering helping, has something to start with.

edit// maybe you thought that before you posted?
If that's the case, you could still look and see what available on ebay - if it's anything like here in Germany, it'll only be a couple of offers.
So my point still stands. Take a little initiative.
Sometimes Kalos, you remind me of those people that ask a question and request that the answer be sent to their email address which they also post...

You mistundestood me.
I was thinking that the available versions would be too extensive to be accommodated with a simple ebay search. And that some deeper research from a knowledgeable person would be necessary. If it was just to type some search terms of a specific version on ebay, I could do that, if I knew the right terms.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 05:24 PM »
^ I covered any possible misunderstanding in my edit, but forget it kalos, you get on fine without my advice.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 05:30 PM »
One thing I've noticed about the Xiaomi phones on offer here (.de):
with the cheaper/smaller 3S, the OS is based on Android 6.0
the Note 3 seems to be only available here based on Android 5.0

Most people recommend going for the 3, as it's not much more expensive than the 3S. I'm considering, (getting tired of Windows phone limitations), but not in any rush, so can wait see if the 3 comes on offer here with OS based on Android 6.0.

edit// I see now that Marshmallow is available but installing looks a bit too much like work to me :-)
It may get easier, but I'll be a lazy beggar and wait & see if it's offered pre-installed on new phones
Tom
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:05 PM by tomos »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 07:07 PM »
The EU XIAOMI forum releases a new version every Friday, it removes a lot of the unnecessary Chinese stuff, incorporates better multi-language support, etc, etc.

https://xiaomi.eu/co...hreads/6-9-22.34371/

You can see there that while the Redmi Note 3 is based on Android 5, the Redmi Note 3 PRO is Android 6.  And it's reasonably simple to flash them once TWRP is installed and getting that on is pretty easy too.

It's safer to refer to the board name that way you know exactly what model you're talking about, eg. hennesy = Redmi Note 3, kenzo = Redmi Note 3 PRO, kate = Redmi Note 3 Special Edition, etc

For me, MIUI just plain sucks - it's why I flashed my RN2 with something else. Plus the amount of screwing around to remove all the tracking, so being able to remove MIUI comes pretty close to item number 1 on the list w.r.t. a XIAOMI phone, (ie. hardware is good, the OS sucks :) ).

Some links:
XIAOMI Official ROMs
EU XIAOMI Weekly ROMs - Usually based on the developer build from XIAOMI.
sMiUI ROM Kitchen - Roll your own MIUI based ROM, remove MIUI stuff, add some things, etc.
NeedROMs (XIAOMI) - See what's available.
XDA Forums
OzBargain - Geared towards finding the best deal :)

@kalos: You need to determine the specs you want, not someone else. eg. Processor, RAM, colour, 4G bands, etc, etc and then YOU go search the internet until you have what you consider enough information to make an informed decision.

eg. The Redmi Note 3 Special Edition has 4G Band 28 (700MHz) because it's made for Taiwan but B28 is also used in Australia. This extra coverage makes this version more expensive but it would be worth it for me, doesn't mean it's worth it to you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:59 AM by 4wd »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 05:25 AM »
thanks 4wd :up:
you're a mine of information :D

For me, MIUI just plain sucks - it's why I flashed my RN2 with something else. Plus the amount of screwing around to remove all the tracking, so being able to remove MIUI comes pretty close to item number 1 on the list w.r.t. a XIAOMI phone, (ie. hardware is good, the OS sucks :) ).

I know you must have done that a while back, but out of curiosity, what did you replace it with?
I had misunderstood your earlier post and thought that having MIUI was an advantage, but IIUC now, the advantage lies in being able to easily remove it :-)
Tom