topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Desktop RSS ticker/floater  (Read 11611 times)

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wanted: Desktop RSS ticker/floater
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:31 PM »
It seems there really isn't any RSS reader out there similar to Klipfolio's layout.

Bit like a floating RSS ticker (vertical) that floats on the desktop. I loved the simplicity of how Klipfolio would allow you add an RSS feed and you just hover over the headline and would show you the details, or click on the the headline and it would open in your browser.

I have attached a screenshot of what I am talking about.

Unfortunately Klipfolio is very dated.. and it's showing it's age by not being able to do SSL RSS feeds. :(

I would be happy to donate towards any author that would be kind enough to consider this task.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Desktop RSS ticker/floater
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:01 AM »
Reminds me of Newzie's Today window.

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I think I looked at Newzie... the widget screen (right hand big window) is always there. You can't hide it it.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30 PM »
the widget screen (right hand big window) is always there. You can't hide it it.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Widget screen? What widget screen? And what do you mean by can't hide it? I don't recall Newzie ever having anything that forced you to have it on your screen at all times.

There's different modes, one of which is a large screen with a left sidebar, another is a tiny ticker that goes across your screen, and the one I am referring to, the Today window that pops up when there are new items (if you set it that way) and looks a lot like your screenshot, but color coded to indicate the age of the entries.

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:29 PM »
My bad.. was confusing it with another rss reader that has a similar interface. For whatever reason the other rss reader called the viewing pane a widget window. I guess it was a multi-functional area for that app.

Basically, Newzie seems to be using it's internal browser to display the rss article. Trying to avoid that. That seems to be what most rss applications do.

That was the beauty of Klipfolio rss, it just lists the headers of the rss page and when you hover over it, it shows you the first few sentences or paragraph and if you are still interested, click on it the header and then it launches in whatever browser you have open or associated.

There is something similar.. Snakr (snackr.net) but it runs on Adobe Air... makes me shudder. I avoid Adobe plugins, causes more security holes than anything out there.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 02:22 AM »
Basically, Newzie seems to be using it's internal browser to display the rss article. Trying to avoid that. That seems to be what most rss applications do.

That was the beauty of Klipfolio rss, it just lists the headers of the rss page and when you hover over it, it shows you the first few sentences or paragraph and if you are still interested, click on it the header and then it launches in whatever browser you have open or associated.

That's exactly what the Today window in Newzie does. Unlike the main window of the app, both the Today window and the ticker only show excerpts on hover, and if you want to read more, just click and it launches pages in your default browser.

Screenshot - 9_24_2016 , 3_18_34 AM.pngWanted: Desktop RSS ticker/floater

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:14 PM »
Hm.. the Today view, is passable. So started to set my feeds up, then I ran into a bug I think. When I went to move the window, it would always shift more in the direction than I wanted to to.

Currently it is off then desktop screen..  :huh: heh! Uninstalled it, set everything up again and the movement placement bug crops up again. Oi... keeps wanting to go off screen whenever I place it near the edge of the screen. Can't seem to figure out how to bring it back short of uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for trying to help. I will play around with it some more.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 11:52 PM »
then I ran into a bug I think.

I have never had that happen to me in the 10 years that I have used it. I don't know what to tell you.  :(

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Good news.. I got klipfolio to work again! I removed my firewall settings for klipfolio and it all started working again.

Guess somehow the settings didn't import properly.

Yes, it's odd why Newzie is screwing up on my desktop like that. In my VM machine, it's all fine. I copied the folder and settings over to my Win7 and XP VM's and it all works. Conflict with another program would be my guess at this point.