topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SAS updates continue after expired subscription  (Read 4996 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SAS updates continue after expired subscription
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:01 PM »
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SAS updates continue after expired subscription
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:54 AM »
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43 AM »

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:41 AM »

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(

I have told this before.  But the only time I ever had a system hosed by malware was an IE BHO.  I had 2 desktops with a kvma switch.  The other PC was brand new and I was still doing the initialization.  Since it was a preload of Vista x64 and I did not have the chance to make recovery disks or a backup image yet, when I could not get the kvma to switch to the PC that was being hosed I just let it happen rather than risk losing the preload on the new PC.

I just wiped the hosed PC and installed XP Pro on it.  So far I have never had a rootkit or anything more serious than prankware(opening a zillion windows etc..)

Every time I tried something real time other than straight VSS based stuff, it hampered how my machines ran to an unacceptable level.  So I really have no choice.  The way I use RollbackRX is similar to ToolWiz Time Freeze.  I just use the baseline to back off installs I don't like.  Time Freeze is free and is OK but it squeezes the write redirects into a 5 GB file.  For some things this is fine but other times you notice a severe performance degradation.  But I would likely not put up with all the hassle involved in using RollbackRX if System Restore worked on my Laptop.  I have to uninstall RollbackRX to defrag and/or backup with Macrium.  Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.  :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Thought I would update this a bit.

The SAS Application updates continue after expired subscription as well.  :)

Unlike most people, I presume, I watch the update process happen and today I got a fleeting glance of the app update along with the virus definitions.

It happened too quickly for a screen shot... maybe next time.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 04:22 PM »

Unlike most people, I presume, I watch the update process happen and today I got a fleeting glance of the app update along with the virus definitions.

Is there a difference between continuing with this and switching to the free version?  I can understand if it is already installed and both code and db are updating, not switching for the sake of switching to the free.  But I am just curious.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 09:01 AM »

Is there a difference between continuing with this and switching to the free version?  I can understand if it is already installed and both code and db are updating, not switching for the sake of switching to the free.  But I am just curious.

Not switching is my choice but I have never used the free version so I don't know if there is a difference.  Should there be?

BTW  You have said "I have been using the free version of SAS for years."  Have you been getting app updates too?

Sometimes curiosity kills the app.  If it aint broke...   :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Not switching is my choice but I have never used the free version so I don't know if there is a difference.  Should there be?

Without looking at the comparison chart my guess would be the paid version has some real-time function and automatic scans.  I think the free one is manual scan only.

BTW  You have said "I have been using the free version of SAS for years."  Have you been getting app updates too?

Yes, both database and program update.  If I remember rightly I have to download the free version and install it over the current one.  It's no biggie.  In fact for a long time you could download the portable one free.  Now they call it a technicians version and want payment.  So I switched to the free that requires installing.  All I ever use it for is quick scan anyway.  The database update only requires clicking a link in the Gui.  I used to run AdAware also.  But SAS was the only one that I could configure without a lot of hassle, to ignore stuff I did not want scanned.  At least at the time.  AdAware and others may have changed their settings to make it easier.  I don't like scanners that are too enthusiastic to take action without asking.  Programming hotkey stuff I get a lot of false positives.