topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ultimate Zip 7.0 [free]  (Read 8129 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ultimate Zip 7.0 [free]
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Giveaway for Ultimate Zip 7.0.

I have been using 7-zip and am happy with it.  But I used UltimateZip back in the days of version 3.0.  I liked it better than WinZip.  It claims a fully portable mode where you can run from a USB stick.  I haven't really investigated.  All I can say for now is that the download, setuo and registration went without a problem.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ultimate Zip 7.0 [free]
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Bummer...expired....

I'm currently using the freeware Bandizip and I have no complaints with it thus far.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Back when I bought a UZ license it was only $15.  Nice program.  I think I paid $29 for WinZip so it was half the price with nicer features.  Just a bit of nostalgia.  :)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26 AM »
I've also been using Bandizip - not bad at all. What I really miss though are commandline parameters.
Seems like the situation is not likely to change anytime soon:
http://www.bandisoft....php?f=16&t=3022

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45 AM »
I ran across this giveaway for UZ.  I already registered mine from earlier.  I do not know if it will take the registration as shown here.  But it may.

http://net-load.com/...tezip-7-pe-for-free/

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Hm I tried the key, it seems to work at first, but then it never comes up again under the help menu, it keeps saying register. BTW, the key they provided is the exact same key I was given by on Shareware_on_Sale in January 2015

Startup is slow, really slow, takes several seconds, The fonts are tiny on my hi resolution, it won't respond to Ctrl mousewheel or Ctrl Num+ or any of the usual zoom shortcuts.

And it refuses to open some zip that I have no problem opening in 7-zip, Bandizip, FreeArc and IZArc. Tested the zips in question - they are fine everywhere else but UlitmateZip.

Guess I pass up on this one - got enough archive handlers anyway. But thanks for letting me know.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Hm I tried the key, it seems to work at first, but then it never comes up again under the help menu, it keeps saying register. BTW, the key they provided is the exact same key I was given by on Shareware_on_Sale in January 2015

Startup is slow, really slow, takes several seconds, The fonts are tiny on my hi resolution, it won't respond to Ctrl mousewheel or Ctrl Num+ or any of the usual zoom shortcuts.

And it refuses to open some zip that I have no problem opening in 7-zip, Bandizip, FreeArc and IZArc. Tested the zips in question - they are fine everywhere else but UlitmateZip.

Guess I pass up on this one - got enough archive handlers anyway. But thanks for letting me know.

It is a shame if it functions that poorly.  I only tried extraction via drag and drop.  I am happy with 7-zip so I will just uninstall UZ.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:01 PM »
I've also been using Bandizip - not bad at all. What I really miss though are commandline parameters.
Seems like the situation is not likely to change anytime soon:
http://www.bandisoft....php?f=16&t=3022

you may try PeaZip as an alternative, its command-line part seems substantial.

http://www.peazip.or...ip-command-line.html

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 03:58 AM »
Does anyone have even 1 useful/compelling argument for using a non-free zip-file 'manager'? As I have been unable to detect one. (this isn't sarcastic!)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Does anyone have even 1 useful/compelling argument for using a non-free zip-file 'manager'? As I have been unable to detect one. (this isn't sarcastic!)
Actually, yes. WinRar. If you're into the rar-format and it's advantages, that is. It allows superb compression rates, multi-part archives, and most importantly, redundant data storage within the archive by which you can later recover a broken archive.

The interface itself looks good with font sizes large enough on high res screens, customizable toolbar with big buttons and themes/ skins, it's reasonably fast and you can make it portable.

On the downside, it lacks the preview options that Bandizip has, not in the portable version, though  :mad:

And while you can extract most stuff, WinRar will only pack zip and rar, afaik.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Actually, yes. WinRar. If you're into the rar-format and it's advantages, that is.
Well, that's the format I avoid using, as I have to distribute stuff to some that are limited to Windows' builtin unzipper :huh:.
And for all others I'm using 7-zip as it does pack dense enough and in package-types (tar.gz, 7z, zip) that can be unpacked on HP-UX and Linux.
The only reason for rar would be the error-correction options, but most material I pack is reproducible, so recovery isn't a requirement per-sè.
And winrar has a dumb-founded unpack dialog that lets novice-users easily make wrong choices >:( but I wasn't asking for that ;D

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:38 AM »
I use PowerArchivevr, but mainly because I bought a license years ago and it's a lifetime license.  PA is a nice package of archiving, backup, and even ISO mounting tools, but the main thing that keeps me using it is it's ability to encrypt archives including the names of the files in the archive.

I think that that capability has been added to the newer zip standard (zipx?), but back when I started using it in PA, the standard for encrypting zip archives left the directory of the archive unencrypted.

The developer of PA has an active support forum and the updates keep coming, so if you're looking for an archiver with a lot of features and good support, I'd recommend it.  But I'd suggest living with 7zip for a while first before paying for anything,

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25 PM »
It seems the giveaway is on again if anyone wants it:
http://www.topsoftba...iscount-coupon-code/