topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)  (Read 10418 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Normally, programs like Unlocker, IObit Unlocker, LockHunter, etcetera, can delete an empty file. Unfortunately, this time they can't.

2015-05-22_183158.gif2015-05-22_194838.gif
2015-05-22_193259.gif2015-05-22_110631.gif

Maybe the problem is that one of the tricks I've tried to use, was to click "rename and delete". I now #imagine# that this was a really wrong thing to do, because how can you rename a file that isn't there? No, you can't! So now there is a key in the registry or something, saying that this file (that doesn't exist) should be renamed, and therefore no-one can touch it until the renaming (that cannot happen because the file really isn't there) has been done!?? So Windows is waiting for the renaming to happen, but it cannot happen. Is this it? Is that why it has been impossible for me, to delete this piece of nothing?

I have rebooted (several times) and everything. Not being able to rename, includes not being able to add extension.

Is there a place where I can cancel the renaming job (if that is a problem at all)?  :tellme:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:09 PM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to delete this empty file?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:08 PM »
The command is probably under the RunOnce key in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23 PM »
there was nothing waiting there:

reg2108.gif

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Have you tried deleting it after booting into Safe mode?

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Did you try Move On Boot?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:00 PM »
There's also WhyReboot which will tell you of any pending file operations at reboot.

http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 11:43 PM »
Does doing a system restore to before make any sense?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 12:31 AM »
Did the rename occur? If so, try renaming it back to what it was originally named. Then try deleting it again.

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 03:46 AM »
I am grateful that you've been trying to help me out on this, guys, Thank You!  :up:

I have been testing all of your suggestions, except for the obvious one: Recovery via System Restore. I can't use System Restore here, because the empty file is older than the oldest Restore Point from yesterday morning! I have now been battling this file for two days.

One "fact" has been mentioned several times by various message boxes: The file does not exist in the system / Windows,
but then it must somehow 'merely' be a problem in Explorer? Eh..., how can something be a problem in Explorer but not in Windows :tellme:

I have also tried to re-install QTTabbar, and to run WinUtilities 7 'cleaner', and of course to only work in Safe Mode ("unlocker"s don't work in Safe Mode)...
but the empty bugger is still (not) there.  :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 07:05 AM »
The next obvious suggestion for a stuck file in Windows is to boot a Linux LiveCD and remove the bugger  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 07:48 AM »
The original error I have never seen before.  "Pending Registry yadda yadda removed by external process" (paraphrased)

My immediate suspicion is some real time shield is blocking what you are trying to do. Do you have one of those heuristic programs that stops stuff it thinks is suspicious?  Something along the idea of Malwarebytes antiexploit?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 08:08 AM »
My immediate suspicion is some real time shield is blocking what you are trying to do. Do you have one of those heuristic programs that stops stuff it thinks is suspicious?  Something along the idea of Malwarebytes antiexploit?

Booting into Safe Mode should have disabled any AV/AM program.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51 AM »
The next obvious suggestion for a stuck file in Windows is to boot a Linux LiveCD and remove the bugger

forgive me for not applauding. 1) I will click a wrong button and everything will brake down. I have never had anything to do with Linux, and being stressed is not the right time to begin - this is not just a question of being hold in the hand while clicking my way, but more what I could happen to do when the hand is not held. 2) My laptop has no CD drive, and 3) 'the bugger' really doesn't exist.

Of course the real reason is, I am scared of computers!

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Maybe there is a permissions thing that is preventing you from seeing it? Try this - download SetACL Studio (which has a 30 day free trial) and navigate to the folder and see exactly what's there. This is useful software - it builds its display "from the dark side" :P meaning that it doesn't ask for Windows's interpretation of what's on disk. You can see what is there even if you don't have rights to it. (The command line version is free and scriptable, but it's easier to use the GUI.)

Assuming something there is honked, change the owner and hit save, then change permissions and hit save, then see what you can do.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Just as a matter of interest, have you searched your registry for any occurrence of the filename?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 09:25 AM »
My immediate suspicion is some real time shield is blocking what you are trying to do. Do you have one of those heuristic programs that stops stuff it thinks is suspicious?  Something along the idea of Malwarebytes antiexploit?

Booting into Safe Mode should have disabled any AV/AM program.

The error says the Registry data has been removed.  So it's gone long before we get to safe mode.  I'm still not clear on what happened.  The file was renamed to some random name or the new name is known but doesn't exist anywhere?

Edit: searching on the error message about file rename operations being removed turns up stuff about rootkits and malware from 2009 and earlier.  Here's one example:

http://www.geekstogo...meoperations-solved/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:38 AM by MilesAhead »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 09:35 AM »
I had something long and technical typed out, but since Curt is scared of computers, let's try something simple first.

Try moving everything except the non-removable file from the FotoTemp directory to somewhere else on your system. Now try deleting the FotoTemp directory. Sometimes this works.

If it does, recreate FotoTemp and move everything back. If it doesn't, come back here & we'll move on to more exciting experiments.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:58 AM »
this works on 32-bit Windows only...there is also such a thing as portable linux. A 1.4GByte installer last time I checked. When you start this software a small bar appears in your Windows session. That small bar grants you access to Ubuntu and you can use that to remove files. Even if Windows says those files are locked in any way...Ubuntu doesn't care and removes it for you. Folders that are inaccessible under Windows? Ubuntu grants you access without any problem.

Last time I checked the coLinux software that virtualizes Ubuntu inside a Windows session only comes in 32-bit and won't work on 64-bit Windows.  

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Try this - download SetACL Studio (which has a 30 day free trial) and navigate to the folder and see exactly what's there. This is useful software -

- "useful software"; you can say that again!
It didn't ask any questions, but deleted the empty file just like it would have deleted any other file. BRAVO!
Thank you, x16wda,   :Thmbsup:

(but of course, normal price is €90 - so it should be able to do a lot more than those freeware apps)

Thanks again to all of you, it has been extraordinary comforting to see so many trying to help out!  :up:   :up:  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:10 PM by Curt »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Good deal!! I like it when stuff works. :-)

I like the software as well and we bought a license. We have a customer with a live server whose permissions are... unusual... and we are using it to clean that up, plus the places where dfs copied the bad stuff to, and where robocopy copied the bad stiff to... very useful.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:51 AM »
For those on a tight budget there are also CLI and COM versions of the library available for free.  You can write scripts with any language that can create Windows COM objects(ahk,python for windows, vbs etc.)