topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mp3 sharing?  (Read 7126 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mp3 sharing?
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I would just like to ask if anyone knows what web site they would recommend for uploading personal songs for sale or sharing?
Please can you recommend a free mp3 hosting site?
I'm aware that a few have been mentioned in the past, but was wondering about pros and cons.
We used to post them at Amazon.con, but one day they suddenly stopped carrying them, and the alternates they suggested all seem to be pro sites.
Thanks....

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: mp3 sharing?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 03:42 AM »
SoundCloud If you just want to share them. (Don't think you can put a price here?)
bandcamp If you want to actually sale them. (never actually used it, but I assume it might be pretty good.
cdbaby Is an alternative to bandcamp. I don't make music, so I've never uploaded anything to it, however I have bought a song from a Youtuber that used this site.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:01 AM »
You can use P2P for it too. :)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:10 AM »
SoundCloud If you just want to share them. (Don't think you can put a price here?)
bandcamp If you want to actually sale them. (never actually used it, but I assume it might be pretty good.
cdbaby Is an alternative to bandcamp. I don't make music, so I've never uploaded anything to it, however I have bought a song from a Youtuber that used this site.
Tnx.  :Thmbsup: At Bandcamp, they want Lossless format. I don't have iTunes to use for converting, and the songs are in MP3 format, and they want them converted to Lossless, wav, or aiff, and FLAC is too technical for me to figure out, and Avidemux can't do it.  :huh:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:45 AM »
There's xrecode II for that. That said, you can't convert lossy to lossless.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:21 PM »
There's xrecode II for that. That said, you can't convert lossy to lossless.
Thank you very much, it's working great.  :Thmbsup:
In Windows 7 for pc, is there any software that can apply automatic volume control leveling to bring up soft parts and tone down loud ones?
I need to be able to process the sound on individual .wav files.
If possible, also to enhance vocal frequencies.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:32 PM by bit »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 07:29 PM »
In Windows 7 for pc, is there any software that can apply automatic volume control leveling to bring up soft parts and tone down loud ones?

Try turning on Normalize in xrecode.

If possible, also to enhance vocal frequencies.

For that you'll probably have to play around in an audio editor, eg. Audacity

For normal talking vocals, probably frequencies from 400-4000 Hz need a little playing around with, (IIRC, from my old telecommunications days).

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:56 AM »
 :Thmbsup: Thank you, Audacity is really outstanding.
It can do Normalize, and also has a nice add-on called EZ-Patch.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 03:57 PM »
I would have to say that if you have anything worth sharing with other people, or even saving for yourself, you should save it in FLAC format. It's easy to do, it's better quality than MP3, it takes less disk space than the original .wav.
- carpe noctem

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 05:28 PM »
I would have to say that if you have anything worth sharing with other people, or even saving for yourself, you should save it in FLAC format. It's easy to do, it's better quality than MP3, it takes less disk space than the original .wav.
My main concern is if FLAC has the same broad support base and applicability as .wav.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:44 PM by bit »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59 PM »
My main concern is if FLAC has the same broad support base and applicability as .wav.
WAV has been around since the start of the 90'es, so no - FLAC certainly loses there, hands-down.

The more interesting property, though, is whether FLAC has the necessary applicability, for you and your audience. You should divide that question in two: 1) you, 2) your audience.

For you, there will probably be some adjustments to make. Does the software you currently use in your workflows support FLAC? Do you need to do manuel conversions? FLAC is certainly the superior format - it takes quite less disk space while still retaining 100% audio quality, and it contains checksums to detect corruption (plus a boatload of other things). If it isn't supported well by your current workflow, perhaps there's some better alternatives to the software you use? Distribution sites that accept lossless uploads really ought to support at least WAV and FLAC (I'm not in the industry, though - there might be brain-dead sites that don't accept FLAC).

For your audience, who currently deal with WAV files? In my experience, "normal" end-users only see MP3, and the "high-end" users that can handle WAV would accept FLAC just as well. As it's a lossless format, if anybody complains "but it's compressed", they'd be the same kind of stupid that buy Monster Audio cables or seriously believe vinyl offers an objectively better audio quality than digital formats :)
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Also some MP3 players can play FLAC.  My old trusty rusty Phillips Go can play mp3, wma, flac etc..

If you go to the FLAC page I think there are Guis where you just drag and drop files to convert to and from FLAC.  It's easy.  Even CDBurnerXP supports FLAC and automatically converts it on the fly when burning a conventional audio CD from FLAC files.

You can download FLAC front end Gui and other free tools from here:
https://xiph.org/flac/download.html