topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SunsetScreen v1.0  (Read 13423 times)

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SunsetScreen v1.0
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Most of you reading a forum dedicated to software (such as this one) will probably have heard about F.lux, and how it 'warms' the screen so you can sleep better at night, or at least have a screen which doesn't glare as much.

Cue SunsetScreen which is like F.lux but improved. In fact SunsetScreen is the only app of its type to allow you to precisely change the hue, saturation and brightness to allow you to match the screen's colour to the indoor lighting. This makes the screen look more appropriate whilst still encouraging the production of melatonin for a good night's sleep.

But perhaps a bigger advantage of SunsetScreen over any other program is the ability to set the sunset and sunrise times to match your sleep pattern, and not the whim of the seasons. For example, in winter, we only get a short day, and programs like F.lux would have the day colour too late, and the night colour too early. SunsetScreen fixes this so that you get a consistent colour changing cycle, whatever time of year it is.

So if you want to maximize seratonin production during the day, and melatonin at night, download SunsetScreen from here:

http://www.skytopia....nsetscreen/index.htm

(btw, I'm the same guy who created SonicPhoto and OpalCalc. Like those two, I'm the developer of SunsetScreen).

screenshot.png
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:04 PM by Twinbee »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SunsetScreen v1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Thanks for SunsetScreen!

(OpalCalc is great  :Thmbsup:)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:15 PM »

I like to take programs and find unusual new uses for them. The one that sparks me here is that it doesn't just need to be for sleep, but it can be also a type of non-lexic alarm clock. So if you're just doing your thing, the screen change can signal you're supposed to do something.

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:19 AM »
Just released v1.03 which since v1.0, fixes saving of the settings on reboot, along with being able to set any colour including darker shades.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:48 PM »
V1.10 just released - A big fix which prevents crashes and unexpected colour changes for anyone here who experienced that.

This'll probably be my last update in this thread for a while - I'd love to hear some more feedback/criticism.

BillR

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40 AM »
:huh: Metascan-online: 
Filseclab Nov 25 2015  W32.InstalleRex.L.crhx  
TotalDefense Nov 29 2015 Win32/Tnega.JOBKNaC  
Zillya! Nov 29 2015 Backdoor.Poison.Win32.72429   

:-\ VirusTotal (a growing list): 
Panda  PUP/TSULoader  20151129 
Rising  PE:PUF.InstallRex!1.9E4C [F]  20151129 
TotalDefense  Win32/Tnega.JOBKNaC  20151130 
Zillya  Backdoor.Poison.Win32.72429  20151130 

;) Jotti: 
ClamAV PUA.Win32.Packer.SetupExeSection  [but then what isn't]

:o herdProtect [suspicious/Artemis/Tnega/...]: 
Bkav
McAfee
McAfee Web Gateway
Panda
Reason Heuristics
Total Defense
Trend Micro House Call
Reason Heuristics (2nd)
I may have missed a few as several engines weren't available.
  Presumed FP? (although anything "screensaver-ish" may be classified a PUP/PUA by definition -- albeit a sloppy one).

Two best lists I've found:
Those of you who actually author software and trip over this frequently may be able to suggest better resources.

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Haha, that's a good start to my day ;( Thanks for the info anyway. I've never been fond of virus checkers such as Norton or Mcafee due to hogging system resources, and trigger-happy false positives like this certainly don't help :o

I presume you downloaded straight from my site. Is it the portable version you checked or the installation version? I looked at the checksum of the online version versus the very original installation exe on my hard drive and thankfully the checksums match so the site hasn't been hacked or anything.

I wonder if an earlier version of SunsetScreen exhibits the same problems: http://www.skytopia....Screen_SetupV100.exe

Perhaps you can try that one in a couple of the major checkers there and let me know what you find. In terms of keeping the virus checkers happy, it seems like a losing battle, since I'm guessing any updates I do, and I'll have to resubmit again.

BillR

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Mouser's ScreenshotCaptor just ran afoul of hitmanPro.Alert (paid version).
Just lost the long post with details. :'(

hitmanPro.Alert encryption also breaks LastPass intermittently. 
-----
I think I tested current install version from your site.

If memory serves:
old v100 - old vt (7 months ago) yes
old v100 - today vt more (but completely different than above??)
old v100 - today jotti ClamAV
old v100 - today MO yes  (note, always check top and bottom of list at MO)
old v100 - today herdProtect 1 Reason Heuristic, but I suspect I will see 5 or 6 next time I run it.  hP has to upload new files and then analyze them.

Don't know if you are familiar with each one of these but VirusTotal, jotti, and Metascan-Online each has an easy to use web interface that supports drag-n-drop or select file name. 

For herdProtect, see the Reason Core Security site and go to Reason Labs menu item to check most recent results via hash to see the Reason Labs analysis (but not others??).  I don't know of a way to submit an individual file for analysis.  herdProtect is the predecessor to Reason Core Security.

Update -- Clarify wording; no substantive changes.
Update -- I would have lost the bet: hP results for v100 remain at 1: Reason Heuristic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:24 AM by BillR »

BillR

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Summary - v1.25 tested via 3 online meta-AV scanners.  Avira CHANGED from positive to negative, :Thmbsup:  a very positive sign
ClamAV  was split 1 positive, 2 not.  4 other AVs positive.  50+ others null/negative.

A quick update on presumed false positives on SunsetScreen v1.25 released in August 2016, an ever better SunsetScreen.
http://www.skytopia....ftware/sunsetscreen/
---
VirusScan by Jotti
https://virusscan.jo...lescanjob/a26gj94qsh
1/19 positive (as of Tues., Sept 8 )
ClamAV     Sep 6, 2016      PUA.Win.Packer.SetupExeSection-1   [true of many utility downloads]
---
VirusTotal by Google
https://www.virustot...analysis/1473199738/
2/57 positive (as of Tues., Sept 8 )
Invincea          virus.win32.parite.c                20160830
Rising             Malware.Heuristic!ET (rdm+)   20160906
but note:
ClamAV             [null/negative]                     20160906
Avira (no cloud) [null/negative]                     20160906
---
Metadefender [formerly Metascan-Online] by OPSWAT
https://www.metadefe...8b3/regular/analysis
3/42 positive (but 5 updating/not available so really 3/37)
(as of Friday, Sept. 2 )
Avira           2219 ms      Sep 02 2016 (4 days ago)         ADWARE/InstallRex.Gen 
Filseclab      8282 ms      Sep 02 2016 (4 days ago)         W32.InstalleRex.L.crhx 
TotalDefense   16 ms      Sep 01 2016 (5 days ago)         Win32/Tnega.JOBKNaC 
but note:
ClamAV       2391 ms      Sep 02 2016 (4 days ago)         [null/negative]
---
Metadefender
2/42 (all engines reporting)
(as of Thursday, Sept. 8 )
Filseclab and TotalDefense remain positive but
Avira is now null/negative, as are the missing 5 engines from last week.
---
Slight differences in results for the same vendor between different online scanners and especially with installed AV products is to be expected (as all three sites say). 
My personal observation is that ClamAV packer warnings are almost pointless while Filseclab and TotalDefense are prone to false positives.  Rising was based on heuristic analysis.

UPDATE - Fixed "Sept. 8)" versus "Sept. 8 )"