topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread  (Read 297699 times)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2015, 10:04 AM »
What a nice bunch of posts to wake up to! Look at all those wonderful names and avatars.. gjehle, d4ni, nontroppo, MrCrispy, brotherS(!)  So nice to see your friendly faces.   :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Yeah, reunions are really cool, especially with the high quality of the people here. Great to see all these posts!
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Hi, mouser, have a great, great birthday ! DC has helped me realized I could build things on my own, release them, and that people would use them. DC is a amazing place on the internet, where everybody like your efforts good or bad and I think that it's a lot because of you mouser. You are a amazing person and you make this place unique. And I'm truly meaning unique, I don't know of any place on the internet where people are as supportive as DC.

In the last year I also got sciatic pain that caused me pain when sitting, and now have to exercise an hour each day and this took the time I used to spend on DC (I'm getting better these days, but it's a sloooow process ). Because I couldn't code as much I've returned to playing to lot of pen and paper role playing games with friends.

In the process, I've also started writing one called "biz&beyond" about the creation of a startup of ghost hunting where you need to hunt ghosts and clients to grow up your business ;)
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27 AM »
ecaradec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is so wonderful to hear from you.  Playing games with friends in real life is a good way to spend your free time.  Biz&Beyond sounds funny -- perhaps you'll share more of it with us when you are ready.
Regarding sciatic pain -- I had it for half a year at some point in my leg.  Jogging on treadmill made it disappear at some point and it's just a faint memory, so probably yours will be soon too.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2015, 12:32 PM »
So this is DonationCoder's 10th anniversary? I didn't know I joined so close to the beginning!

If I hadn't wandered back and started participating a couple months ago I probably would have been on the lost sheep list as well.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I have notified iphigenie, scancode, momonan, on Facebook, and a few others not on your list that I know you would love to hear from.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Good work app!

Innuendo, it's still good to see you :)  :up:

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 02:07 PM »
App pulled me here.

I think I'll keep the "anti-piracy / anti-crack guy with this weird polar bear fetish" tagline.

I'm still alive and kicking. Haven't had time to be on any forums lately, but I popped up on IRC the other day. I'll spend sunday reading DoCo and seeing what it's up to.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Great to see you scancode!! I'm just loving seeing all of these familiar avatars..
I want to hear more about what everyone is doing in real life.. Feel free to post some photos if you like :)

App pulled me here.

+1 Bounty hunter point for app.

ajcam

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Hi. I was surprised to learn today that I'd never posted.

I figured I must have in the early years because I've learned quite a bit from these forums. And what I've learned, I used for specific tasks -- but have never written a program or script worth sharing anywhere.

Mouser, thanks for dreaming this up & keeping it going.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Wow!
ajcam you were the 77th person to register on this forum!!
(that means you signed up within the first 30 days or so of us being online in 2005).
awesome.  great to have you here :up:

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 02:51 PM »
It is great to hear from you! :)

I'm afraid that with the birth of kids, my free time dwindled drastically :( I have the warmest feelings to this forum, the apps, and to all the wonderful users and of course mouser. Stay as awesome as you are and keep going!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2015, 02:53 PM »
vitalyb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-*
So wonderful to hear from you.  :Thmbsup:
Birth of kids -- exciting!!

Come on folks share some photos!

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Hello all, I apologise for my long absence. I have been quite occupied in the last 4 years. I've completed a masters degree, climbed Kilimanjaro and joined a not for profit. I still search the DC forum for software ideas. I've stopped using many of the admittedly excellent DC programs, mostly because Microsoft seems to have come to their senses and included these features by default in Windows.

The most common one was a keyboard launch program like FARR. Those on Windows 7 and 8 will notice that the windows key mostly does the same thing now, although FARR is admittedly way more feature rich. I can't thank mouser and the other developers enough for making Windows a more usable and productive OS while Microsoft were busy pulling their thumbs out.

On the online front, I've mostly become a lurker, but I do post on Quora. Mouser, congrats on the 10th anniversary of DC!

sri, glad to see another DC member in Australia. I'm in Melbourne and I wonder if we could do a DC meetup down here?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Hi icekin!
Congratulations on your masters and on mastering the mountain!

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Yo mouser and all,

Life is busy; I have moved over to scientific Python development and tech support. Cross-platform, though mostly working on Mac. I still get warm fuzzies when I see a DC newsletter.

Still full of appreciation and admiration for this quirky, skilled, generous community and its q,s,g founder.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26 PM »
Sadly, at least one name on the list won't be making it back for the festivities.
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=35367

But I have to say I'm sure Thunder7 would be raising a glass right along with us if he were here. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Thank you for posting Edvard..
It makes me sad to remember.  But it seems only fitting that he stay on our reunion lists forever. I will remember him today and thank you for remembering him too.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2015, 03:56 AM »
I just missed out on the list by putting in the occasional trickle of posts.

I must have been 19 when I joined (I'm 27 now), back when I had my first hand me down laptop with a pentium r chip and 64mb of ram. Trying to connect to the world with 19kb dialup.

I remember Jesse giving me a free key when I didn't have a credit card to pay for one, and then all the help and encouragement in programming school. I treasure my NANY mug. It means a lot to me.

I still hang around, mainly to read the jokes, but it's always a positive vibe.

Thanks for all the good times and the help, and I'm up for a meetup in Australia. Also, if anyone needs any building work done, you can mention Donation Coder and I'll give you a discount.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2015, 07:41 AM »
What a nice post, Fred.   :-*
That list of 122 is just the tip of the iceberg -- it's good to hear from other lost sheep who aren't on the list :)

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38 AM »
imtrobin, nice to see you.  You're involved in the making of the game? or the making of the trailer?

Making the game.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2015, 09:06 AM »
Nice!!!!
Share some more details with us when you are ready!

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Hello Mouser!

I still use AHK daily! I'm even thinking of setting up a good phrase expander that the entire team can use ( with hints and prompts, because basically people forget it exists, like keyrocket).

Anyway it's good to see that you are still active! I guess mouser's predication of micropayments came true, now it's available everywhere and people use it on a daily basis!

I love the dc community especially the great helpful people here. I still use many tools and it's my goto site for some coding snacks.

Live  life and enjoy!

This is the first time I'm reading about mouser's motivations so it's heartening to see you follow the dream! Live the idea brother!

Anyway if you are ever travelling abroad in asia, look me up and we should meet.
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

fredra

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2015, 12:28 PM »
Hey mouser
Thanks for the email reminder... has it been 10 years already?
This brings back some memories of the help I received when I joined... Thanks for that.
I raise my proverbial glass and say CHEERS  :Thmbsup: :D

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Hello Jesse and community members. Congratulations on ten years! I have fond memories of my time spent here. I am reminded of it often as I have two N.A.N.Y mugs that I use for pen holders. One at home and one at work. I still work for the US Army on military simulations. I have also written some software that is used where I work. I've recently started building games for them. I have done one so far and starting on a second one now. I'm using Unity and learning as I go. I don't belong to any online communities. I got rid of my Facebook account years ago and I never post any more to Twitter or Goggle Plus. There are no forums I visit regularly. I don't even really surf the Net much any more. I do use the Net every day, but it is mostly as a reference system while coding or troubleshooting. I've also stopped using most programs that I purchased during my time on DC -- all the various utilities and such. I just use programs as I need them to accomplish what I need to do. No more tinkering and tweaking my system. I've also started using a Mac about 50% of my computing time. Needed to make the switch in order to build apps for iOS devices. Outside of my day job, I have been technical editor on some books. Done about eight so far and just started on another. It keeps my busy on the weekends and brings in a few extra bucks to spend on games on Steam. Since my days on DC, I have found a wonderful woman that I live with. I have given up on forums/communities mostly to spend more time with her. We even find some time to play a game of Civilization IV together every now and then. Overall I have slowed down quite a bit. It turns out for most of my adult life I've had Bipolar Disorder II and didn't know it. That means that much of my bursts of energy were due to Mania. So most of my late nights and fits of overly abundant activity were bouts of Mania. Since I am now on medications, I am more "normal" and don't get get so hyper. I'm basically a lot more mellow. I'm glad to see DC is alive and kicking. It has always been a great resource. I'm sure it will continue to be so for many years to come.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Wow, it sure made me smile when I saw Mouser's email in my inbox.

Hi everyone. My life changed quite drastically in 2009, as in January of that year I lost my job due to the economic problems and mismanagement by the owner. I was the last employee remaining and the business closed down less than a month later.

That year I decided to do something I always wanted to do, but never had the confidence to do: go to college. Initially, I was pursuing a degree in computer science, but less than two semesters in I decided that if I were going to do this thing, I was going to do what I always wanted, not what was easiest. So, I switched to electrical engineering. It was quite difficult for a number of reasons, but a major issue was I quit school at 15 and never went to high school. I started college at 37, so I had a LOT of background to make up. I had horrible study habits in school before which is part of what lead to me quitting. I've been struggling with those bad habits since I started this time too. My grades are ok, not stellar, but certainly not what I am capable of, unfortunately. :)  It's funny, I spent my entire life thinking I was bad at math, only to find out that I'm actually pretty good at it, just lazy. haha

It has been a long road and college has consumed most of my existence for the last 6 years. Pretty much everything else in my life has dropped off to the periphery. I got divorced a few years ago, though that wasn't due to college. We both agree that we should have never been married, and we are good friends to this day.

I am about 3 semesters from graduating with a BSEE and am now trying to decide whether to pursue a master's or not. It's a hard decision, as I'd really like to get a real job again and stop being so poor! haha

Other things of note, I lost 100lbs a few years ago and was very active for a long time, but had some medical problems that prevented me from being nearly as active for quite a while and my lazy nature to take over again and I've gained most of it back. It's especially painful as the weather changes and the outdoors call so strongly. So many things I want to do, but I'm too fat and out of shape to do them haha. Oh well, I'll lose it again!

Well, I guess that's "other thing", not much else going on. Other than being the poorest I've ever been in my life, and being about 80lbs over weight, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I also don't really do much programming any more. I've taken a required C language class for EE, and recently decided to minor in comp sci so I took a few more classes for that such as a java class, and a data structures class I'm taking this semester, and helping fellow EE students with their C problems. I did enjoy some C in my microcontrollers class, and I'm working with a professor on a microcontroller based power controller on which I designed and wrote the firmware, and designed the board in Eagle CAD.  I still enjoy writing code, I just hate doing UI stuff. I like doing the back end coding, its all that interfacing with people stuff I don't care for. haha.

I'm glad DC is still here, I'll try to come around once in a while going forward. :) Well, back to studying. Have an Electromagnetic Fields test tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is the only online community that I ever felt a sense of belonging with, back in the day. I really enjoyed my time here back then. :)