topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Super-sized Newsletter for Mar 2, 2015 - Codename: Freezing Feathers  (Read 101208 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Super-sized Newsletter for March 2, 2015
"Codename: Freezing Feathers"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hello and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder newsletter. It's been a whopping 127 days since the last newsletter, and in that time.. New threads started: 861; new posts: 8,995 (number of those deleted as spam: 242); new members who joined: 10,133; new donors: 609.

The first thing to talk about is the 2015 NANY (New Apps for the New Year) event, which wrapped up at the beginning of the year.  It's where we ask the coders who hang out on DonationCoder to create some new piece of free software and share it with the world.  We had a lot of fun as always, and there were some notable new tools created. I tried my hand coding an Android app and I'm interested in making some more -- if you have a good idea for an Android app, let me know.  Follow the link below to browse the NANY 2015 entries from this year.

The next thing to mention is a call for help from Martin Brinkmann, who runs the Ghacks software blog.  He's asking for donations to help run Ghacks.  Ghacks has always been a friend to DonationCoder, writing about our new software releases and events.  So I'm hoping you will join us in helping out a friend of small independent coders.  See the link below to read more.

Last on the agenda is a teaser for our big upcoming 10th anniversary fundraiser.  March 23, 2015 will mark the tenth year of DonationCoder (hard to believe it's been that long isn't it?).  After ten years, it's time for some real changes on the site, and we are going to need your help figuring out which direction to go in.  There's a link below to a thread for discussing the upcoming anniversary, but I'll be sending out a special mailing when the fundraiser starts, asking not just for your financial help but also your input on the future direction of the site.   I hope you'll join us while we chart our path forward.

2. Skwire Empire Software Updates and New Releases

DC member skwire is one of the more prolific coders of utilities on our site -- he roams the coding snack request section and pounces like a jaguar when he finds something that catches his eye.  He's released a ton of updates to his software since the last newsletter, including some updates and a few brand new releases:

3. Mouser's Software Updates

I've uploaded some updates to many of my large applications since the last newsletter.  As always, you can find the list of what's new both in the online help pages (linked from each program homepage) or in the forum thread about the application (also linked from each program homepage).

4. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions.  In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.

5. Coding Snacks, Mini-reviews, and other Member Projects

We love to keep up with projects that our members are working on, and hearing what our forum members think of software they use.  If you're working on something interesting -- let us know!

6. Website Discoveries, Debates, Essays, and Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out..

7. Software Discussions

Some noteworthy software discussions on the forum since the last newsletter.

8. Entertainment, Games, Humour, and Loss

Here's a collection of some diversionary web browsing links posted on the forum recently.

9. Developer's Corner

This section highlights some discussions that might be relevant for not just coders and developers, but also people interested in entrepreneurial issues.

10. Hardware and Non-Windows Hangout

While the lion's share of technical discussions on our forum involve Microsoft Windows software, hardware and linux threads are becoming increasingly common.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:49 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMPORTANT!

Whether you've signed up at the forum or not, we now use a separate mailing list for the newsletter that you will ONLY receive if you have manually signed up to receive it.  You can sign up for the mailing list here:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks mouser :Thmbsup:
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Tomos.
Doing these newsletters makes me realize that Skwire has been on fire updating his apps lately!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for putting together the newsletter!

Doing these newsletters makes me realize that Skwire has been on fire updating his apps lately!

If by lately, you mean the past couple of years (or longer), I agree with you. :Thmbsup:

pencoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks mouser!  :Thmbsup:

BTW: one more to add to 8. Games: https://www.kickstar...underworld-ascendant

If there is anyone out there who loved Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, ... or who thinks that Looking Glass was one of the best game making software studios out there: Paul Neureuth and Warren Spector are doing one more game  :D

Have a look!

Peter

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
Many thanks.  Another interesting read.  Martin Brinkmann now has one more supporter   :)
zxcvbn

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the newsletter :)

grandpastan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Many thanks Mouser. Appreciate all the work.   :Thmbsup:
“You can tell a lot more about a person by what he says about others than by what others say about him.” Anonymous

bernie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser,
Re your wanting ideas for an Android project.
I and others, from reading through queries via Google, have a problem that the sync between Google calendar and our smart phones sometimes "chokes up".
To fix this one has, on the phone, to stop the "Calendar Storage" app, then clear the data of the same app and then reboot the phone,  I find that I am doing this at least once a week.
I have found an app called "Fast Reboot" that just reboots a number of apps including the "Calendar Storage", but it still takes a number of repetitive keystrokes to do the tedious job of stopping and clearing the data.
Would you not like to create an app so that a one button click could do the job.
I am now in my eighties and find that my programming skills have dwindled.
Thanks in advance.
 ;)

Godric

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you so much Mouser!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile