topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kim Dotcom is broke - US trying to revoke bail  (Read 2025 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Kim Dotcom is broke - US trying to revoke bail
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:24 AM »
The infinitely deep pockets of money printers has managed to drive Kim Dotcom broke:

https://twitter.com/...s/537358269283434496

Video: It's official. I'm broke. Here's a Q&A I did yesterday.

http://yro.slashdot....t-has-left-him-broke

Kim Dotcom, the founder of the seized file-sharing site Megaupload, has declared himself "broke". The entrepreneur said he had spent $10m (£6.4m) on legal costs since being arrested in New Zealand in 2012 and accused of internet piracy. Mr Dotcom had employed a local law firm to fight the US's attempt to extradite him, but his defence team stepped down a fortnight ago without explaining why. Mr Dotcom said he would now represent himself at a bail hearing on Thursday. He denies charges of racketeering, conspiring to commit copyright infringement and money laundering. He told a conference in London, via a video link, that his lawyers had resigned because he had run out of money. "The [US authorities] have certainly managed to drain my resources and dehydrate me, and without lawyers I am defenceless," he said. "They used that opportunity to try and get my bail revoked and that's what I'm facing."

http://www.bbc.com/n.../technology-30209067

The entrepreneur said he had spent $10m (£6.4m) on legal costs since being arrested in New Zealand in 2012 and accused of internet piracy.

Mr Dotcom had employed a local law firm to fight the US's attempt to extradite him, but his defence team stepped down a fortnight ago without explaining why.

Mr Dotcom said he would now represent himself at a bail hearing on Thursday.

He denies charges of racketeering, conspiring to commit copyright infringement and money laundering.

He told a conference in London, via a video link, that his lawyers had resigned because he had run out of money.

"The [US authorities] have certainly managed to drain my resources and dehydrate me, and without lawyers I am defenceless," he told the audience at the Unbound Digital event.

"They used that opportunity to try and get my bail revoked and that's what I'm facing."

The law firm Simpson Grierson, which had represented Mr Dotcom, could not be reached for comment.

Political backlash

Mr Dotcom's declaration comes seven months after he won back access to about $750,000 worth of property - including several of his cars - that had been taken at the time of his arrest. However, other assets, including dozens of bank accounts, remained frozen.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker