topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2015 Release: Bomber  (Read 23440 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2015 Release: Bomber
« on: November 07, 2014, 01:46 PM »
NANY 2015 Entry Information

Application Name Bomber
Version 1.150101.0 (for newer versions, check out the website)
Short Description Drop bombs, destroy buildings.
Supported OSes Windows/OSX/Linux
Web Page http://nany2015.deozaan.com/
Download Link http://deozaan.itch.io/nany2015
System Requirements
  • OS: Windows XP+, Mac OS X 10.6+, Ubuntu 10.10+, SteamOS+
  • Graphics card: DX9 (shader model 2.0) capabilities; generally everything made since 2004 should work.
  • CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
  • Web player supports IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and others.
Version History
  • 1.150101.0 - NANY 2015 Release
Author Deozaan

Description
This is a game about violence and destruction. Drop bombs to destroy buildings before your plane crashes into them.
This is a one-button/switch game. You can press any key to play or drop bombs.

Screenshots (from pre-release version)

NANY 2015 01 Pre-Alpha.pngNANY 2015 Release: Bomber NANY 2015 02 Pre-Alpha Colorful.pngNANY 2015 Release: Bomber NANY 2015 03 Pre-Alpha Smoke Pillars.jpgNANY 2015 Release: Bomber

Usage
Installation
Unzip to your directory of choice.
Windows: Run the exe file.
Linux: Run the .x86 or .x64 file.
OSX: I have no idea.

Uninstallation
Delete the directory containing the game files (and all subdirectories).
Unity saves some information (graphic settings, resolution, etc.) automatically to the registry (or OS equivalent), which on Windows is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Deozaan/NANY 2015.

Tips
Prioritize the tallest buildings.

Known Issues
None.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:46 PM by Deozaan »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Pledge: Untitled Game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Hehe Deo see my Fake Nany post in the basement ... smash your game into one of those "what IS this??!" apps! Then you don't have to pick and choose for Nany ... do a few of them! Sure, release them separately for the official compo, but then make a joke version where they're all smashed together!
;D:D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I don't go into the basement. It's dark and scary down there.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I just updated the main post with a sneak peek.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:41 AM »
Earlier today I posted a sneak peak image of the game in its very early stages. It looked like this:

NANY 2015 01 Pre-Alpha.png

After others had seen that image with my awful placeholder graphics, I had a few comments in IRC about how awful the game looked (they said it more tactfully than that). Mouser mentioned that it looked like an old Atari 2600 game. TaoPhoenix asked me if I could use some of the visual resources I'd used for my LD30 game to make it look better. I knew it looked awful. I hadn't started working on making it look pretty yet. That was going to happen later. I had only blocked out a few visual elements so I could prototype and get the game working as quickly as possible. But to try to appease some of the visual concerns, I quickly added some colors and took another screenshot.

NANY 2015 02 Pre-Alpha Colorful.png

But it still looked like an Atari 2600 game. Only this time in color. Further discussion about the graphics motivated me to start spending time on making it prettier right away. So I focused on the visuals for a few hours and while it's still a work in progress, here's how things look now:

NANY 2015 03 Pre-Alpha Smoke Pillars.png

I'm glad I spent the time doing this. Now that it looks nicer it also seems a lot more fun to play, even though virtually nothing has changed gameplay wise.

So thanks for motivating me to polish it up! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:26 AM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39 AM »
It reminds me of an upside down version of another game, which got me to thinking. Why not turn it into a variation of Tetris with a twist that lets you build the layers, and then bomb flat the sketchy parts. Bombs would have to be earned (slowly)...and you would lose if you accidentally bombed flat the last block.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:47 AM »

I'm glad I spent the time doing this. Now that it looks nicer it also seems a lot more fun to play, even though virtually nothing has changed gameplay wise.

So thanks for motivating me to polish it up! :Thmbsup:

Thanks for the credit! And the art is def improving! I'd suggest one more round of art for some of the reasons below, and fairly soon I think you'll hit "stair landing #1". Maybe not a "sweet spot" ... just not sour apples!

I think I have a bit of insight on this. It's a bit tricky to know what to tackle first, but I bet there's some kind of well known psychology principle here, though I don't know what any official name for it would be. Put colloquially, it goes something like this:

Some of us at certain ages were children of certain ages and abilities just at the ages these consoles were developing. So there was a bit of an innocence with consoles like the Atari 2600 because at a rapid pace in the early 80's, if we allow ourselves the small joke to anthropomorphize, the Atari 2600 was just reaching its last legs valiantly struggling to still entertain one last "half generation" of children by about 1983 with the brutal limits of 1977 hardware design decisions. 4k games, 128 byte racing the beam, and more. But as just an "averagely bright" child of nine, I was content to play the (now known as very bad!) port of Pac-man until I think at one point the machine overheated. And Yar's Revenge, and a few other games.

But as I grew as a child, even I vaguely began to realize that time was marching on, and the by-necessity square-block graphics in most games ... just wasn't really how games should look. And now, "still retro", take your pick of the Commodore 64, 1st gen Nintendo system, or Sega Genesis, and the game playability jumps by leaps and bounds, and def in many ways because of better art.

So when you're designing your game, I'm betting subconsciously you "see the future" with better art evolving, but now you have to "work to see past the current state". But with a fairly small chunk of time starting with something at least a little pretty to look at, then when you go back and add game elements (and fix bugs), even if it's still only in day four of development, let's say you get at least one section working, and then you can just spend an hour of testing watching nice pretty 5-color flaming buildings! Then come the 5 color explosions. And moving the plane around. Etc.

:Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36 PM »
The visuals haven't improved much since my last screenshot, but here's a video showing off a little bit of gameplay:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36 PM »
nice  :up:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Release: Bomber
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44 PM »
I've updated the main post with details about the NANY 2015 release.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:59 AM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Release: Bomber
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I've updated the main post with details about the NANY 2015 release.

Enjoying it :up:
Tom
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:59 AM by Deozaan »