topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Matchstick - A streaming stick using Firefox OS [Kickstarter]  (Read 19979 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Matchstick - A streaming stick using Firefox OS [Kickstarter]
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Apparently there was some confusion about who the last update was aimed at:

Maybe that should clue them in that all the people still waiting for a unit should at least be mentioned in their software updates. Something like this might help smooth things over:

Hey folks! The nearly 17 thousand of you who will be getting this message but didn't get a development unit can go suck eggs for a while, cause this update has no useful information for you. Suckers!

Anyway, to the 250 people who do have a dev unit, we made a software update. Hooray for us! We're awesome like that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:26 PM »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 04:37 PM »
They killed it. https://www.kickstar...fox-os/posts/1266549

Unfortunately, we are unable to continue on this journey, and we will be refunding all Matchstick pledges.

After struggling with the DRM development based on Firefox OS for most of this year, we realize continued development of DRM, though showing early signs of promise, will be a long and difficult road. We have come to the conclusion that we will not be able to reliably predict the completion date of the DRM development without significantly more research, development and integration.

This seems kinda fishy, since many, many backers didn't even want DRM in the first place. Why not go ahead and ship without that, then? I would have been happy.

Anyway, they say they're refunding everybody's money.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I think DRM was kind of a requirement to be able to play anything from sites from Netflix or similar sites.

But yeah, it seems pretty fishy. But we can't claim they're taking the money and running away with it since they're refunding everyone. Good on them for at least making it right with the backers.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Why not go ahead and ship without that, then? I would have been happy.

Same here, I didn't have any need for DRM.  Maybe part of the problem is/was that the market now has so many Android-on-a-Stick dual/quad/octo-core devices that can handle DRM through dedicated apps, at low prices, that it wasn't really viable any more.

Oh well, some money back so I can fund another project to get cancelled.

As a bonus I get more back than I paid due to the AUD dropping in value :)
(Although that will probably only cover the exchange rate fees.)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 04:55 PM »
I just got my refund. But I'd be happier if I had a MatchStick without DRM...

In any case, they are processing refunds as promised.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 09:51 PM »
But I'd be happier if I had a MatchStick without DRM...

Got to really agree with this, having used my one year old Chromecast for the first time last Friday.

Even though it's rooted, it is a severely crippled piece of technology that requires I provide it with an internet connection before it will do anything.  Think I'll stick it on ebay and go searching for a cheap Android on a stick solution.

Addendum: Just received my refund.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:51 AM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 06:46 AM »
As someone on the outside looking in, I don't see why they didn't revert to that.  Tell people the ramifications, and see how many takers they had.  Refund the nays, Fund the yays.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04 AM »
As someone on the outside looking in, I don't see why they didn't revert to that.  Tell people the ramifications, and see how many takers they had.  Refund the nays, Fund the yays.

That's the thing with these crowdfunded things a lot, they sorta control their communications like they are big biz's. It's a bit like a Hold'em poker hand with a couple cards missing. I'm disturbed they couldn't get the DRM code from any one of the other people who got it right.

So there feels like a missing backstory going on here.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I don't really think that would be a sound business model for competitors, "You're having trouble implementing DRM on your open source platform?  Sure, here take the source code for our version and see if it helps bring your product onto the shelf next to ours."

I think the problem is they suffered from DN3DS, (Duke Nukem 3D Syndrome), and instead of delivering what they promised to start with, decided to use even newer and shinier parts as they became available over they course of the project, thereby pushing the date out.

They could of gone back to the funders and asked what they really wanted but I think that would of seriously disillusioned most of them even more considering that we already knew and wanted what we signed up for in the first place.

However, rather than continuing down the same road DN3D did, they've decided to cut their losses and do the right thing by the funders.