topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your favorite cartoons of yesterday and today?  (Read 32061 times)

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your favorite cartoons of yesterday and today?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27 PM »
To me "down under", a cartoon also includes single-picture (or a strip of several) with captions.  In that sense, my favourites, in order, are:

The Wizard of Id
Footrot Flats
Spy v Spy
Andy Capp

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Heidi, a sweet young girl who lives/lived on Swiss Alps:

http://en.wikipedia....di,_Girl_of_the_Alps
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Though I used to love watching cartoons, (and have probably forgotten most of them), Futurama would have to be about the only one I'd go out of my way to watch these days.

Now, if we're going to talk cartoonish in a marionette kind of way, anything by Gerry Andersonw.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Mr. Magoo, hasn't he been around like forever?

oh Magoo, you've done it again!

+1! :Thmbsup:

Magoo-as-Scrooge-web.jpg

Especially fine was Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol with ol' Magoo playing it straight as Ebnezer Scrooge. One of the best adaptations of Dickens I've ever seen.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:05 PM »
My favorites:

Heckle and Jeckle
Felix the Cat
Rocky and Bullwinkle / Factured Fairy Tails / Dudey Do-Right / Aesop & Son / Mister Peabody and Sherman
Tennessee Tuxedo
Huckleberry Hound
Yogi Bear and Bobo
Quick Draw McGraw
Deputy Dawg
Magilla Gorilla
Peter Potamus
Underdog
Grape Ape

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Some of yesterday:
- Dr. Slump
- Dragonball, Dragonball Z (excluding the "fill episodes")
- NGE
- Batman: The Animated Series

One of today:
- Adventure Time

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03 AM »
more recent but haven't seen Daggett and Norbert for a while

The_Angry_Beavers_title_card.png

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Though I used to love watching cartoons, (and have probably forgotten most of them), Futurama would have to be about the only one I'd go out of my way to watch these days.

Oh sure, Futurama! The Sting, one of many great episodes popping up in my memory.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52 AM »
When I was a kid I really liked the 1940's era Superman cartoons by Paramount Studios.

One good punch solved everything in Superman's world. So American!  ;D

sman.png

Low on plot, silly stories - but at least the characters looked like they did in the comic books. The artwork was superb. Nice art deco look.

Somebody posted a bunch of them up on Youtube. If you're interested, best watch or download before it gets pulled:

:Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30 AM »
... 1940's era Superman cartoons by Paramount Studios
... Low on plot, silly stories - but at least the characters looked like they did in the comic books. The artwork was superb. Nice art deco look.

very good :Thmbsup:
Look very 1930's in style (artwork, architecture) which would be logical enough I guess
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Roger Ramjet he's our friend, hero of the nation!
The only thing that's wrong with him is mental retardation!

Uh, yeah... Didn't quite remember the right words, but close enough. :P

Dunno... I really don't like the "idiot" heroes. But I did get a laugh out of Roger Ramjet.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43 AM »
@40hz

Your Superman video reminded me of Meatless Tuesday with Andy Panda.

My father had this on 8mm film... black and white and silent... pre super-8 days.

This is the first time i have watched it in color with sound.   ;D

Not a national broadcast... but classic... to me anyway

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Maaaaaan, don't get me started on cartoons! I goddamn love cartoons, everything from the older Disney to modern french surreal cartoons. I can't get enough of them! Also one thing I learned to throw out the window pretty early is that demographics weren't that important. Something I kind of forgot until quite recently, I'll get into that later.

As some of you know I am a huge sucker for the modern reboot of the My Little Pony cartoons (MLP:Friendship is Magic), and while it might not be understandable from the outside, or hell, even the inside. It's a really good show with nice colors, animations and decent enough story arcs, while also being just generally entertaining. I mostly got into it for the lulz, as they say on the internet back when it was a huge fad. But I actually liked it in the end, it wasn't until later that I found out the some of the people working on it were also on the team that made The PowerPuff Girls, another cartoon I liked a lot as a kid, which is definitely not marketed to dudes.

There's also Sheep in the Big City, something that I only watched younger when it was dubbed in Danish, which made me loathe it. It's slow, looks bad and the story is non-sensical in a very unfunny way. BUT, I watched it YEARS later in English and figured out why some people liked it. It's entire premise is a series of puns and stupid wordplays, while the story can be overanalysed into being EVERYTHING. Something that you can't really enjoy as a kid. It also breaks the fourth wall in ways I find pretty funny, even if shoehorned in.

I don't think I saw anyone mention it either, but there's also Regular Show. A slice of life cartoon about two goofballs trying to do as little work as possible without getting fired from their park maintenance jobs. This doesn't sound very interesting, but every episode completely derails about halfway through into occult crazy stuff or the like. A lot of the time without all that much warning, which in it's absurd formularity makes it goddamn hilarious to me. You could see it as a bit of a stoner cartoon, but it's really good even if you are not intoxicated, at least in my opinion.

Edit:
Speaking of the french, there's Wakfu, which is pretty standard in terms of plot and characters. But it is beautiful for a flash cartoon, at least I think so. It took some time getting into it though and the French dubbing with English subs really put me off for a while. But character design is a breath of fresh air for cartoons in my opinion, because pretty much everyone is exaggerated in ways you wouldn't see in most mainstream cartoons. For example Evangeline who is pretty sexualized, something that may put some off as her and her love interest in the series is supposed around 16-18 or so IIRC.

MOVING ON, anime.
If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, DO SO NOW. It's basically Firefly before Firefly, a wild west space thriller/comedy/action thing with a ship and it's motley crew of not entirely good do-gooders. Neon Genesis Evangelion is also pretty good, but I haven't had the chance to watch it since I got older. Never saw it till the end, but it is filled with metaphors, symbolic imagery and entirely mindfuck visuals at some points. From what I read/remember a lot of the story, plot and imagery is purposefully made to mess with peoples expectations.

Edit edit:

Oh man, and I completely forgot about Samurai Jack, which Cartoon Network ran back in the day. It was slow paced as all hell with lots of establishing shots. Which only helped emphasize the fantastically choreographed action scenes. I don't remember that many of the episodes off the top of my head, but one thing ran through them all, it was damn beautiful and filled with subdued humour and lots of quirky character design.

I also bolded all the cartoon names in case anyone wants to just take the TL;DR route. Also I haven't slept today, in case I am rambling too much and that bleeds through into the post.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:07 AM by p3lb0x »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 01:54 AM »
Can I mention some single-panel black & white cartoons?
The original Addams Family cartoons, such as this, this, and this.
Then there was the Kliban Cats cartoon.
And just for Mouser, here's one by S. Gross.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Generally I liked the Warner Brothers cartoons, also Rocky & Bullwinkle, Yogi Bear etc..

But here are a couple of variations on the same theme.  In the first, Tom Terrific can morph himself into anything.  My older brother and I used to watch the Captain Kangaroo show, which showed the Tom Terrific cartoons weekday mornings.  Since my brother was named Tom I had be be Manfred The Wonder Dog(tm.)    :wallbash:

The evil mastermind who was out to destroy Tom was Crabby Appleton.  Needless to say, he was proud of being "rotten to the core."  :)

In the second variation, Felix The Cat had a "magic bag of tricks" that he could contort into any device or machine.  Like if he needed a ride it became a car, canoe  etc..

Also I liked Tennessee Tuxedo, just because the voices were easy to mimic.  Don Adams used his Get Smart voice for Tennessee and I have no idea who did Chumley.  But doing  few lines could get a quick laugh.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Gary Larson's The Far Side - such as Cat Fud (BTW, I'm a 'cat person'). (:

An all-time favorite; Love Is - "...checking your feelings", "...a life-line".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:26 PM by bit »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Has anyone mentioned beavis and butthead yet?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Has anyone mentioned beavis and butthead yet?

Yup.  It was already listed when I posted.  I like them too.  Mike Judge did Office Space which is one of my favorite flicks.  I don't understand why Jennifer Aniston didn't come over my place to watch Kung Fu flicks.  But that's another story.  :)

Speaking of adult cartoons it looks like South Park will go on forever.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I don't know how I hadn't seen this before.

I also dont know how Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato, Harlock, and Robotech haven't been mentioned!

And no one's gone the Japanimation/anime route!

There's definitely some good ones there. (Crying Freeman, Yu Yu Hakusho, Berserk, Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mushishi, Grey, Serial Experiments Lain, Planetes, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Last Exile, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, and my Favorite - AD Police, and too many more to list!)

And Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

Cartoons and by extension Anime are my favorite short form and long form.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21 AM »
@wraith808  I haven't gotten into anime yet.  I do like Japanese TV shows and feature films.  I watched one 90 minute anime but I cannot recall the title.  It was something about robots illegally raising a human child I think. (It has to be 8 or 9 years ago. My memory is vague.)  But I watched it to completion.  Perhaps I will mine that vein when live action sources dry up.

A central figure of American cartoons is
Mel Blanc

I remember seeing him as guest on a talk show in the 60s.  If I remember right he said he created more than 60 cartoon character voices.  It was wild watching him having arguments with himself in over a dozen voices.

Reading the Wiki entry just now it says he was also the voice of Mr. Spacely of Spacely Sprockets on The Jetsons.  Mr. Spacely even looks like Mel Blanc.  The artist must have drawn Spacely as a tribute to him(just my surmise.)

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04 AM »
i'm late to the party. but i love the original astroboy cartoons. they're maudlin and dripping with pathos in places. but i still love them.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14 AM »
i'm late to the party. but i love the original astroboy cartoons. they're maudlin and dripping with pathos in places. but i still love them.

That reminds me.  I totally forgot about Colonel Bleep.  He didn't bother with Atomic Energy.  He had the next generation power source.  Butomic Energy(tm).  :)