topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684596 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Why it has decided to pull this shit I haven't a clue, but it's a - Microsoft Listed Windows 10 Compatible - Asus Commando motherboard with the latest BIOS installed (it was a condition of computability) a few weeks back to be sure it didn't flake on its own (which it didn't).

Sure it's a bit of an antique...but it's all I got to work with at the moment.

Well, my motherboard *is* an antique...a Gigabyte running an X58a chipset. I have no idea if it's on Microsoft's special list or not, but I just checked. My 6 GB of RAM is being reported correctly.

Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.

This never happened. Anybody asks we deny all knowledge of anything remotely like this ever took place. 4 GB was always recognized. I don't know what they are talking about.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Apparently I just needed to RTFM

I do not know if I would admit to reading the manual.  That kind of self incrimination could land you in  a Homeland Security DB. 

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #528 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I've had Windows 10 for almost a week. In that time I 've gotten 3 Windows Updates, not including Windows Defender Definition Updates.  Is this the slow ring and is Windows Insider the fast ring?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #529 on: August 04, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Dclock 2.jpg

Dclock2 runs in Win 10. My Win 7 has to use Dclock 1. Maybe that is because it is a 32-bit Win 10. The Win 7 system is 64-bit.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:00 PM by Arizona Hot »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #530 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I've had Windows 10 for almost a week. In that time I 've gotten 3 Windows Updates, not including Windows Defender Definition Updates.  Is this the slow ring and is Windows Insider the fast ring?

I don't know.  But from the posts I see things are going to be all over the lot for awhile.  I don't even like to enable auto update on Firefox never mind the entire OS.  But I guess I am your basic curmudgeon hobbyist neanderthal whose ossified bones will be featured in online displays when everyone has WiFi brain implants.  Under my(still handsome) photo the caption will read "Insisted on an installed OS from an ISO image."  All the four year old children point and laugh.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #531 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27 PM »

Unless you log in with a Microsoft account, I believe you are on the slow ring. Once you log into Windows with your Microsoft account you can go to Windows Update settings and select if you want to be on the slow or fast ring.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #532 on: August 04, 2015, 08:21 PM »

Unless you log in with a Microsoft account, I believe you are on the slow ring. Once you log into Windows with your Microsoft account you can go to Windows Update settings and select if you want to be on the slow or fast ring.

Option is available regardless. Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Get Started Button asks for (MS account) Insider login

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37 PM »
I have now upgraded two laptops to Win10. The first had Win8.1-64 PRO installed, the second had Win8.1-64.
The first wouldn't update and was problematic with the update attempts not completing successfully (with varying error codes depending what I had done to change things to get it working), until:
  • (a) Running sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, then reboot just in case.
  • (b) Emptying the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to a Bak folder, and executing wuauclt.exe /updatenow (this was recommended on several discussion forums).

The second didn't work at first go, but went smoothly after my immediately emptying the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to a Bak folder, and executing wuauclt.exe /updatenow.

Fixes:
  • Keyboard arrangement: On both laptops, the Win10 update reset the keyboard registry settings to the default, so I ran Remapkey to change the CAPSLOCK key back to Right-Shift and the Right-Ctrl key back to Delete (those are my preferred settings):
    As a possible solution to ALL CAPS accidents...
    Tip - dispatching the CapsLock gremlin with Microsoft's remapkey.exe http://tips4laptopus...ck-gremlin-with.html
    It refers to the Microsoft remapkey.exe utility.
    Other keyboard mapping fixes are useful, but redundant if you use remapkey.exe, which works fine in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Win7-64 Home Premium.

• Start Menu: Classic Start Menu had already been installed on both laptops under Win8, and it automatically started up in Win10. Hooray for some good ergonomics!   :Thmbsup:

PowerShell: Playing about with Windows PowerShell (Admin) - using Win+X hotkey - was interesting. There seem to have been some useful mods there, but it still looked a bit like playing around the edges somewhat - refer Console Improvements in the Windows 10 Technical Preview

Legacy Apps.: The integration of Win10 with, and support for, existing and legacy applications seems fine. Impressively, whereas one of the many Win8 updates had caused the display refresh to stall annoyingly in my old InfoSelect proggie, the problem has gone away in Win10 and it now works just fine. The Options panels on ScreenshotCaptor and CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) - which had been a bit difficult to see, even with my specs on - now seem a tad clearer. Not sure whether I am imagining the latter though.

GodMode: I found out about it here: How To Enable Windows 10 GodMode... - SSuite Office Software

So far I'd give Win10 at least   :up:  :up:  :up: out of 5.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #534 on: August 05, 2015, 06:59 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Dclock2 runs in Win 10. My Win 7 has to use Dclock 1. Maybe that is because it is a 32-bit Win 10. The Win 7 system is 64-bit.

Thanks for letting me know.

But I find it odd that you can't run Dclock2 on 64-bit Win7, since I have been running it on my 64-bit Win7 without any issues. I am not saying there is no issue on your system, just that it can't be due to it being 64-bit. Trust me on this, if there was an issue running it on 64-bit, I'd be the first to complain about it, till I fixed it.  ;)

I do have plans on rewriting it from scratch early next year (got some interesting stuff planned for it), so perhaps the new version will work better for you. Can you hang in there till then?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #535 on: August 06, 2015, 11:31 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)

Thanks for letting me know.

But I find it odd that you can't run Dclock2 on 64-bit Win7, since I have been running it on my 64-bit Win7 without any issues. I am not saying there is no issue on your system, just that it can't be due to it being 64-bit. Trust me on this, if there was an issue running it on 64-bit, I'd be the first to complain about it, till I fixed it.  ;)

I do have plans on rewriting it from scratch early next year (got some interesting stuff planned for it), so perhaps the new version will work better for you. Can you hang in there till then?

It will run, but it looks like the clock on the left below. Any way I can find out what the issue is on my system so that you can know about the issue when you do the rewrite. The second screenshot is with the size changed from 18 to 14. Then it doesn't have that problem but it's harder to read. I have a HP LV 2001 monitor with the resolution set at 1600 x 900 (recommended) and the text size set at Medium - 125%. The Win 10's monitor is a non-widescreen Dell set at 1024 x768 resolution and the text size is 100%.

Clipboard01.jpg    Clipboard02.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:00 PM by Arizona Hot »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #536 on: August 06, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Option is available regardless. Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Get Started Button asks for (MS account) Insider login

Odd...on my system logged in with a local account the "Get Started" button is greyed out.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2015, 01:09 PM »

Odd...on my system logged in with a local account the "Get Started" button is greyed out.

Even stranger yet (while home machine worked fine), the GS button on my comp here at the office is greyed out...yet both were upgrades with the same x64 MSDN.iso Now the other guy here in IT has an active GS button...he too upgraded with the same x64 MSDN.iso - All machines mentioned are Pro Ed. domain members.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #538 on: August 06, 2015, 04:04 PM »
I cannot believe what I just read about the Win 10 start menu and "all apps" view (plus search!):
http://arstechnica.c...-the-bugs-get-fixed/
In Windows 10, it's... different. Windows creates a per-user database containing all the entries that are in Start, both the live tile portion and the All apps portion. This database is (inexplicably) maintained by a system service running as the super-privileged SYSTEM identity. And at the time of writing, this database has the oh-so convenient feature of being limited to around 500 entries.

Holy shit, it shipped like that!?!?!? What. The. Actual. Fuck!?

I can only describe that as asinine, *especially* since massive crapware bundling is still rampant on new PCs you buy. It is entirely plausible that one might buy a computer preconfigured with so many applications that they would never see their own applications after they began installing them! Even without 3rd party stuff many computers come with 10-15 branded "utilities", e.g. "Toshiba Ecorecover", "Lenovo Cloud Aware", each of which may have 5-10 Start menu entries of their own (e.g. license, systray util start, app start, help/docs, etc.). A 500 item limit is nuts.

- Oshyan

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #539 on: August 06, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Also, I am anxious to see how Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, will work. If it works like I fear, I will also like to know if it can be killed and buried. I am scared of Cortana!

Turns out I didn't need to! "Cortana is not available in the area and language you have chosen."

Shouldn't I then have been offered a rebate?  :-\

-----

Stardock has launched Start10 for Windows 10. The $4.99 program is in beta, but the final version 1 is due the 12'th of August.

https://www.stardock...om/products/start10/
Features: https://www.stardock...start10/download.asp

Start10, 30-Day Trial
  • Adds a Windows 7-styled Start menu with Windows 10 enhancements
  • Pin desktop and Modern apps to the Start menu
  • Jump list support
  • Unified search for apps, settings and files
  • Automatically matches the color of your taskbar
  • Skinnable Start button
  • Choose the default behavior of the Start menu power button

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #540 on: August 06, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Even stranger yet (while home machine worked fine), the GS button on my comp here at the office is greyed out...yet both were upgrades with the same x64 MSDN.iso Now the other guy here in IT has an active GS button...he too upgraded with the same x64 MSDN.iso - All machines mentioned are Pro Ed. domain members.

Mystery solved....I had turned Diagnostic and Usage Data Sent to Microsoft to Basic. This setting must be set to Enhanced or above in order for the Get Started button to become active.

Makes sense as MS would want enhanced diagnostic data if someone were using Insider updates.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #541 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Stardock has launched Start10 for Windows 10. The $4.99 program is in beta, but the final version 1 is due the 12'th of August.

I don't like how Stardock does business. They spew forth a ton of different programs and don't address bugs. The only time you see a new release is when they have a paid upgrade & it'll have its own set of bugs.

The only program I've seen them update with any frequency & with any commitment to fixing bugs is their WindowBlinds product. Do people even use that anymore?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #542 on: August 06, 2015, 07:15 PM »

I don't like how Stardock does business. They spew forth a ton of different programs and don't address bugs. The only time you see a new release is when they have a paid upgrade & it'll have its own set of bugs.

The only program I've seen them update with any frequency & with any commitment to fixing bugs is their WindowBlinds product. Do people even use that anymore?

Yes, they do, and yes, they fix bugs.  The fast track is to have the object desktop subscription.  It comes to the slow track when stable. And I never paid for an update to Multiplicity (the one I use the most) until they added the KVM features, and in the meantime got several different unpaid updates to address issues.

I've not had any problems with them in 10+ years of using their products, so I guess YMMV.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #543 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I've not had any problems with them in 10+ years of using their products, so I guess YMMV.

This is very true. Suppose it depends on what products of theirs you are interested in. I liked the looks of ObjectBar. Abandoned. I also liked Fences Pro, but internet searches reveal that bugs that have been in the product since the beginning are still there and largely ignored by the programmers.

I guess I am always interested in the wrong Stardock products. That and the fact their president is a misogynist.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:33 PM by Innuendo »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2015, 08:56 PM »
So, is Windows 10 buggier than an Entomology department?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #545 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15 PM »
So, is Windows 10 buggier than an Entomology department?

It has a few quirks that most people won't see. As long as you make sure all your apps and drivers are Windows-10-aware you should be fine. I had a few speed bumps, but some Google searches got things going. Now that everything is configured, I like it better than I liked 8.x...maybe not as much as I liked 7, but I'm not completely used to it yet.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2015, 09:57 AM »
I have a HP LV 2001 monitor with the resolution set at 1600 x 900 (recommended) and the text size set at Medium - 125%. The Win 10's monitor is a non-widescreen Dell set at 1024 x768 resolution and the text size is 100%.

Ahh.....That's probably the issue and why you are having the problem with it on your Win7 but not Win10. (If your Win7 was set at 100% instead of 125%, DClock would probably behave itself). This won't be a problem in the next version. I promise. (And you are going to LOVE the way I plan on fixing it  :D)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #547 on: August 11, 2015, 06:41 AM »
He-he. Windows 10's "automated installation in the background" bluescreened me while trying to update my AMD driver...

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #548 on: August 11, 2015, 07:52 PM »
I can't see the Windows 10 taskbar clock or customize the notification area. I have only Dclock for a clock. I can go to the Control Panel to set it, but it doesn't show in the Notification area.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:59 PM by Arizona Hot »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #549 on: August 12, 2015, 03:09 PM »
He-he. Windows 10's "automated installation in the background" bluescreened me while trying to update my AMD driver...
AMD.
- carpe noctem