For me, the BSOD causative IDing process is mostly experimental guesswork.
My entire OS slowed down so that there was about a 3 to 5 second delay in response time, and the only real change I had made recently was that I had added Malwarebytes.
When I uninstalled Malwarebytes as an experiment, the delay all but disappeared.
Since my machine is about 6 years old, I fault my aging hardware, not Malwarebytes.
The BSODs continued to happen after uninstall of Malwarebytes, so there had to be another cause.
Having removed Malwarebytes and still getting BSODs, I added a ram booster, MZ Ram, which failed to eliminate the BSODs.
It seemed to happen anytime after running TOR Vidalia (which incorporates an integral stripped down or locked down anti-stalker version of Firefox that won't play videos), plus a fully functional version of Firefox that does play videos, which seems to destabilize the OS resulting in BSODs.
Switching exclusively to Seamonkey for a time seemed to prove this out because I mostly stopped getting BSODs.
Then my Java ran a self-update, and most of the BSODs went away even with TOR Vidalia and running videos with full Firefox mode.
So I kind of fault the Java as having been in need of an update, but I'm only guessing.
My box is an AMD 4400+ dual core with 3GB ram and a slightly newer video card, so it's getting old, and if I could get a new box I would not hesitate to reinstall Malwarebytes.
I paid for Malwarebytes and value it highly and regret not running it because it slows down my older box so much.
But it is so persistent on 'protecting' me even when it's in 'deactivated mode' -a very good 'nanny' feature- that I have not reinstalled it yet.
There is also still the off chance that Malwarebytes may have been a contributing factor in the BSODs due to the huge 3 to 5 second delay it caused my OS and anything I click on.
I mean, anything I clicked on, even a simple .txt file, would produce that huge delay before opening.
It made my entire OS react that way.