topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sChecklist  (Read 156656 times)

rwstarinsky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sChecklist
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I just downloaded and tried sChecklist for the first time today. I am interested in something to create lists that other people could use in their daily work routines.

First, I'm impressed with the program's simplicity. I populated the form with multiple new tasks, then wanted to edit each newly created line. However, I seemed to have a problem trying to activate editing the lines. Lots of clicking, re-clicking before it would edit. Is it me, or something I'm doing wrong?

Overall, while you can always add bells and whistles, I would stay simple. I like the idea of creating read-only, reusable checklists as templates, then clicking on a template to create a checklist for a given date. I just read an article on checklist design best practices and it suggests being able to add a note about any exceptional conditions to a checked item, which seems interesting to me. Also, a checklist header might be useful, that would note the checklist completion frequency. For example, in accounting work we need checklists for daily (day of week), weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks. 

Being able to print out a completed checklist and templates (at least to a PDF file) is absolutely required. Screen prints just don't cut it. Besides being able to print out or save a completed checklist,  I can foresee needing to print out an unchecked (not completed) PDF version of a checklist (aka the template) into a hard-copy procedure manual or as web link file.

Keep up the good work.

Bob

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the DonationCoder website.

First, I'm impressed with the program's simplicity. I populated the form with multiple new tasks, then wanted to edit each newly created line. However, I seemed to have a problem trying to activate editing the lines. Lots of clicking, re-clicking before it would edit. Is it me, or something I'm doing wrong?

I probably should have made this more apparent but simply highlight an entry and press F2.

Overall, while you can always add bells and whistles, I would stay simple. I like the idea of creating read-only, reusable checklists as templates, then clicking on a template to create a checklist for a given date. I just read an article on checklist design best practices and it suggests being able to add a note about any exceptional conditions to a checked item, which seems interesting to me. Also, a checklist header might be useful, that would note the checklist completion frequency. For example, in accounting work we need checklists for daily (day of week), weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks. 

Being able to print out a completed checklist and templates (at least to a PDF file) is absolutely required. Screen prints just don't cut it. Besides being able to print out or save a completed checklist,  I can foresee needing to print out an unchecked (not completed) PDF version of a checklist (aka the template) into a hard-copy procedure manual or as web link file.

Thank you for considerations and suggestions.  Unfortunately, they are well outside the scope I have for sChecklist.

A little background might be in order.  I written quite a few programs over the years here with most upon request of others.  In other words, only a handful have been been written expressly for me and sChecklist is one of those few.  There are a boatload of checklist programs with all sorts of wizzbang feature sets but I couldn't find one that quite fit the workflow I wanted.  Thus, sChecklist came to be and it's been written to my requirements.  One job, simple, and no B.S.   :Thmbsup:

amaretti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26 PM »
Hi and thanks for this very useful program.
Had some corruption on a couple of lists because I tried to duplicate manually some files (didn't know that CTRL+clickdrag moves checklists up & down them, or, you know, the arrows...) but it was all my fault, restored from a backup. No problems whatsoever.
Have one request for a feature: can we get clickable links so it opens the default browser when there's a http:\\ identifier in an entry? or better yet, another browser specified on the options tab.
Well, there are others but are not as important as this one.

amaretti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2016, 05:34 PM »
No answer, well... must be quite the summer vacations.

Another request, this is not a feature but a fix for an ugly bug: The list of entries has a button on the top to sort them. But there's no unsort or revert, so the changes are saved.
In case of a missclick on long lists this hurts.

No worries, I backup everyday. This program sometimes is like a russian roulette.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54 AM »
Hi, amaretti, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :Thmbsup:

I've got changes made so that sorting can be reverted using the Undo feature.  This was an oversight on my part so thanks for reporting it.  I'll release it later this weekend.

amaretti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Yay! Thanks :)

miguel2000uk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2016, 06:26 AM »
Just came across this beauty of a program and had a suggestion for a feature, trying to also keep it along the lines of simple yet functional. Would it be possible to have an option to copy to clipboard only the check marked items in the order they were checked?

amaretti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2016, 07:44 AM »
OP will deliver...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Just came across this beauty of a program and had a suggestion for a feature, trying to also keep it along the lines of simple yet functional. Would it be possible to have an option to copy to clipboard only the check marked items in the order they were checked?

Hi, miguel2000uk, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  Regarding your feature request, did you mean the actual timing order in which they were checked or did you simply mean copying the checked items in the order they appear in the list?

OP will deliver...

Doh, forgot to release this.  Apologies.

Website | Download
v1.1.7 - 2016-11-15
    + Undo now works after sorting, too.  (Thanks, amaretti)

cable0

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01 AM »
it is working on Windows 10 for me   :up:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2017, 09:06 AM »
it is working on Windows 10 for me   :up:

Thank you for the report and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

reifwp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2018, 01:12 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Hi guys . I liked the program and it works on windows 10. I really want the author to improve the program.
1) I often help people, neighbors, relatives. I install and set up a computer for them. Operating system, settings, installation of programs. This program is useful, you can write down on a flash drive and work as a check checklist reminder.
2) Also sometimes I help people on the .Team viewer and there too, I have to conduct many similar actions. On computer diagnostics. It is important not to forget what you did and what did not.
3) I also have to do SEO sites.

So, the conclusion. It's ideal to make folders. Under checklists. Windows, SEO and so on.
Also it would be possible to make checklists with 1 hierarchy tree down. And the possibility of linking the attachment of a text document. Thank you .

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2018, 04:05 PM »
:Thmbsup: Hi guys . I liked the program and it works on windows 10. I really want the author to improve the program.
1) I often help people, neighbors, relatives. I install and set up a computer for them. Operating system, settings, installation of programs. This program is useful, you can write down on a flash drive and work as a check checklist reminder.
2) Also sometimes I help people on the .Team viewer and there too, I have to conduct many similar actions. On computer diagnostics. It is important not to forget what you did and what did not.
3) I also have to do SEO sites.

So, the conclusion. It's ideal to make folders. Under checklists. Windows, SEO and so on.
Also it would be possible to make checklists with 1 hierarchy tree down. And the possibility of linking the attachment of a text document. Thank you .

I think sChecklist means Simple Checklist.  I'm sure he'll answer, but I will quote the guiding principles from the front page:

Like most of my apps, I wrote this because I couldn't find a simple checklist app that suited my needs.  What I'm talking about is off-the-cuff, ad hoc types of lists.  The ones that, in the course of your (work) day, you find yourself wanting a quick way to set up a checklist, especially one that can be easily used over and over.  Just rows of text entries and a checkbox for each.  No B.S., no time tracking, and no crazy wizzbang features.  In other words, this app is not a time tracker nor is it meant as a full-blown project tracker.  There are plenty of extremely well done apps that already do this.  Task Coach, MyLifeOrganized, & ToDoList are but three that I'd recommend.

reifwp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Like most of my apps, I wrote this because I couldn't find a simple checklist app that suited my needs.  What I'm talking about is off-the-cuff, ad hoc types of lists.  The ones that, in the course of your (work) day, you find yourself wanting a quick way to set up a checklist, especially one that can be easily used over and over.  Just rows of text entries and a checkbox for each.  No B.S., no time tracking, and no crazy wizzbang features.  In other words, this app is not a time tracker nor is it meant as a full-blown project tracker.  There are plenty of extremely well done apps that already do this.  Task Coach, MyLifeOrganized, & ToDoList are but three that I'd recommend.

I use Mylifeorganized. This is a great program. But it is not convenient for those requirements. It is necessary to have a small window on the top of all windows. And constant static check sheets.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Hello, reifwp, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :Thmbsup:

Also it would be possible to make checklists with 1 hierarchy tree down. And the possibility of linking the attachment of a text document.

I really appreciate your feedback.  As wraith808 mentioned, sChecklist was written for a singular, simple purpose and will remain that way. 

Guido76

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Hi,
I like this app really simple, but I have a question :
Why two columns in the Entries when we are in detailed view ? Is it possible to enter something in this second column ?
best regards

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Why two columns in the Entries when we are in detailed view ? Is it possible to enter something in this second column ?

There is actually only one column.  You'll notice that the "second" column doesn't have a text header.

Rick998

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2018, 04:08 PM »
The ability to edit an existing entry would be great. I suffer from 'fat fingers' and am forever making typos. It's frustrating having to delete/recreate an entry just 'cos I've made a single typo.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17 PM »
The ability to edit an existing entry would be great. I suffer from 'fat fingers' and am forever making typos. It's frustrating having to delete/recreate an entry just 'cos I've made a single typo.
hi Rick,
pressing F2 works to edit currently selected entry
Tom

Rick998

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2018, 05:21 PM »
hi Rick,
pressing F2 works to edit currently selected entry
ROFL... Many thanks, so simple. I'm just embarrassed.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I'm just embarrassed

Please don't be.   :(  I could do a better job and actually put an "Edit entry" item in the right-click menu.    :-[

BigNep

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2019, 03:42 AM »
Hi, i want to report 1 little annoying thing about this program.
I'm have russian and english layout on windows 10, and every time i launch sChecklist with russian layout it will give me 8 notifications that looks like this scheck.pngRelease: sChecklist
and i have to confirm all of them or switch layout. Not a groundbreaking thing, just annoying.
Other than that i like this software a lot, thank you.

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Love the program - a daily staple in my list of startup programs.

Is it possible to change the background colors of both the checklists and entries? And of course, with dark background, I'd want a lighter color font as well.   :)
I couldn't find anything in the options and no color choices on the font selection screen.

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Hi skwire,

Just wanted to leave a heart-felt thanks for sChecklist, it's exactly what I've been after  :Thmbsup:

I had some ideas I wanted to script to read the .checklist files - I just wondered what the first column (seemingly just 0?) on each line pertains to?

Thanks again as always...
Matt

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2021, 04:48 PM »
I had some ideas I wanted to script to read the .checklist files - I just wondered what the first column (seemingly just 0?) on each line pertains to?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's whether or not the item is checked. 0 for false (or not checked) and 1 for true (or checked).