topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tech giants, chastened by Heartbleed, finally agree to fund OpenSSL  (Read 3178 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, and others pledge big bucks to the project.  About damn time...

The important role OpenSSL plays in securing the Internet has never been matched by the financial resources devoted to maintaining it.
... but the Linux Foundation wants to change that. The foundation today is announcing a three-year initiative with at least $3.9 million to help under-funded open source projects—with OpenSSL coming first.

from CodeProject News

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, isn't that nice of Microsoft. Considering they don't even use OpenSSL, to my knowledge.

Hmmm... not sure if we should be clapping for this...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hmm, what part of seven, multi billion dollar companies weren't bothered to deal with this?!
Story after story, "cyber security initiative", and then one nasty flaw pwns the entire internet. Really.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
What are the strings?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What are the strings?

My question, exactly...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, since it's all being managed by the Linux Foundation, apparently none.  From the article (emphasis mine):

The funding will not come with strings attached, Zemlin said. “We definitely want to help them, but it has to be done under their community norms,” he said. “The folks at OpenSSL are guys who have dedicated most of their adult careers to super hard software development that is, I would argue, in some ways thankless work.”
The Linux Foundation believes that open source developers should be their own bosses, regardless of who provides their funding. “Linus Torvalds does not listen to Jim Zemlin. That's intentional,” Zemlin said.

Sounds legit...