topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Loss-Proof Text Editor  (Read 7579 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Loss-Proof Text Editor
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:04 AM »
In the last 5-6 years I have read the "Note-Taking Roundup" twice from beginning to end twice.  Unfortunately, my memory won't let me recall those trips and my reading now is a challenge.  I'm not lazy, but with short-term memory loss it becomes quite a chore.  Anyway, I can use some help.

I am looking for a freeware/payware note-taker/text editor that will keep every keystroke regardless if the is a power failure or a BSOD (I'm using an old Vista 64 Toshiba laptop).  I have had numerous instances of temporary freeze which can last up to a minute or so.  This is very detrimental to writing creativity and flow as well as keeping my thoughts straight.  If anyone has a candidate, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was using Evernote which performed well as far as keeping my work safe.  Unfortunately, it has begun to freeze more and more and for longer periods.  I'd be happy with Notepad if it could auto-save every keystroke.

Thanks.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: Loss-Proof Text Editor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25 AM »
These writing applications have optional auto-save:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:26 AM »
I don't know of any editors that commit every single keystroke at once, I think this could be a problem performance-wise.

There are many that are able to auto-save at selected intervals. For instance, there is a plug-in for Notepad++ that allows you to auto-save on a fixed timer. And Vim lets you choose to write changes to a swap file after N number of edits.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Sublime Text does that too, it keeps even unsaved tabs in memory until you close the tab manually.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:42 PM »
+1 w/dr_andus.  :Thmbsup:

I've found it easiest to just set a short (<5 minute) autosave interval in whatever I'm using if I'm that worried about losing something between manual saves.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 04:01 PM »
keep every keystroke regardless if the is a power failure or a BSOD
Not directly what you asked for, but PowerPro will let you keep every keystroke.  However, on the odd occasion I tried it, it was hard work to disentangle the text keystrokes from the control ones, and I don't know how well PowerPro works on 64 bit.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 06:15 PM »
For instance, there is a plug-in for Notepad++ that allows you to auto-save on a fixed timer.

That plug-in is no longer needed as Notepad++ now has built-in 'snapshot' functionality that will save a file every x number of seconds.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 02:03 AM »
For instance, there is a plug-in for Notepad++ that allows you to auto-save on a fixed timer.

That plug-in is no longer needed as Notepad++ now has built-in 'snapshot' functionality that will save a file every x number of seconds.

Nice, I must admit I haven't used Notepad++ in a couple of years, but that's great :Thmbsup:.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00 PM »
(...) Another example would be Flashnote (that I have pleaded for several times here at DC's forum). After several years I am still on my FIRST note, because I want Flashnote to stay absolutely basic and simple. Hit the hotkey, Type/paste your text, and it is already saved!, and hit the hotkey (or Esc) again. End of story! ;-)

http://softvoile.com/flashnote/
freeware

https://www.google.c...ww.donationcoder.com

-but it is not like a normal text editor.