topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Flash video capture  (Read 7327 times)

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Flash video capture
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:16 PM »
How do I use SC to capture embedded flash videos like for instance those shown at http://www.ruger.com...cts/lcr/extras.html? Can it even do this? 
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:02 PM by Midnight Rambler »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Flash video capture
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:13 AM »
Works here.

When you say capture embedded flash videos -- i assume we are talking about capturing a Screenshot of an embedded flash video.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:28 AM »
I actually meant capturing flash videos as they're playing on the user's screen similar to what Free Screen Video Recorder does.

According to the program's site: Free Screen Video Recorder is a compact, yet full-featured screen video recorder and screenshot capture tool that allows you to easily record screen activities and capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, menus, full screen and rectangular regions.

I usually use the FlashGot extension in Firefox to download videos but it's unable to capture embedded flash videos.  Thought I read that you configured SC to record screen videos as they played (as Free Screen Video Recorder does) but maybe I'm mistaking SC for another.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Sail a different course with this.

Spoiler
Get a copy of Runtime's ShadowCopy.
Watch/load the flash you want to see. Very important, do not close the Flash player!
Find out where your browser stores temporary files. In there you find a folder 'acro_rd_dir'.
Although this folder will appear empty, it really isn't.
In some cases it says there are 0 Kbyte temporary files in it, which isn't true.

I made a single line batch script:
"D:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy\shadowcopy.exe" F:\Temp\acro_rd_dir\*.tmp I:\ /s /y
which copies all tmp files in folder I:\

Rename the <some weird code>.tmp files you'll find in I:\ to <meaningful name>.flv and watch your flash video's in VLC.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:09 PM by Shades »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:23 PM »
You need to try Easy Screencast Recorder https://www.donation...ouser/esr/index.html, though it's not really meant for that task, I think

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:36 AM »
Sail a different course with this.

Thanks for the tip.  Did everything through, "Rename the <some weird code>.tmp files you'll find in I:\ to <meaningful name>.flv and watch your flash video's in VLC."  Unfortunately, none of the .tmp files renamed .flv (even a longer .dll file) worked in VLC.  What I actually did was only change the extension of all <some weird code>.tmp files to <some weird code>.flv.  Even changed a longer .dll file with no luck.  Will try again later.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:09 AM »
You need to try Easy Screencast Recorder https://www.donation...ouser/esr/index.html, though it's not really meant for that task, I think

Thanks.  Installed Easy Screencast Recorder and captured about 20 seconds of one of the embedded flash videos at http://www.ruger.com...ucts/lcr/extras.html.  ScScreencaster Video Preview box opened and the video played but without sound.  Then played back .asf file in VLC but video also lacked audio.  It's as if the sound component of the video file is not being captured or an audio codec is missing although that would surprise me given VLC's versatility.   

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I believe Easy Screencast Recorder is very much a work in progress. I didnt have much success with it myself (but cant remember the details now).
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:44 PM »
ESR (and most normal desktop-recording / screencasting tools) record audio through one of your audio recording devices.  That is, it normally will want to be recording your voice from a microphone.

The only way to record the audio playing through a browser is if you have a virtual audio recording device that is names something like "what you hear" or "stereo mix".  If you have such a device, you should select it as your audio input source in ESR and then it should work.