topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA : Reload Target Program  (Read 5440 times)

PhotoComiX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA : Reload Target Program
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I am not sure that what i ask is possible , even less if possible with a few hours coding.
But if possible would be really useful

RELOAD TARGET PROGRAM

Not all programs have a option to reload but there are many cases were reload is useful, as example may be needed for changes to take effect , verify if new added plugin of script works , and so on

I would be interested to know if Gimp (that is open source ) may be reloaded using a external program or even simple macro to copy and re-run the 2 manual command needed to reload  (=exit and a double click on the exe or a console call to start ) also because reload would be needed to perfect a Gimp addon manager , now limited because some changes require reload , but reload can't be automatized

But i believe they may be many other cases , regarding many other programs

I would be very happy is possible but at least i would like to know if is impossible, and i am open also to "oblique" solution , as capture and rerun mouse gesture and keystroke needed to reload..or the equivalent console commands

To know if possible in general ... and if yes if could work also with my favorite "target program"

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA : Reload Target Program
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:26 AM »
What OS are you running?  If it is in the range XP to Windows Seven you may want to try ReRun.  I wrote it for the case where I close a program too soon.  It's not a reloader per se, but it watches the active window and captures the running program to a queue of 28 buttons.  To ReRun a program you hit the hotkey, which pops up the button bar, and click a button.  It has some options as to run with or without the command line used with the last time that program was started etc..

It works on Windows 8 also. The main glitch I haven't figured out seems to be with the Hotkey not popping up the button bar.  But that may have to do with my Laptop as well as Windows 8.  Even on Windows 8 if you left click the Desktop first, then press F9 the button bar pops up(alternatively you can double click the tray icon to open the button bar.)

You may download from this page:
http://milesaheadsoftware.tk

If you try it please read the Readme.txt.  There are some instructions for using the program on a 64 it system. It seems in most cases the 32 bit version can see running 32 bit programs but not 64 bit.  Whereas the 64 bit ReRun can see both.  So a 64 bit compile is included in the download zip.

If it seems to work well with the programs you use most then I should be able to adapt it to something more automatic.  I'd have to figure out how to close the target program in a friendly fashion though.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Well one issue has been resolved. If Pale Moon browser is not running, my hotkeys work as expected.  The browser must have hooked something at low level.  I posted on the Pale Moon forum.

So now you shouldn't be afraid to try ReRun.  :)
But if you have a series of actions you need to perform to save your data a macro record/playback program might work better for you.  Stuff like Firefox restart works because it's inside the program and can read what tabs are open etc..

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Well one issue has been resolved. If Pale Moon browser is not running, my hotkeys work as expected.  The browser must have hooked something at low level.  I posted on the Pale Moon forum.

I'm not sure that this is just Pale Moon causing the problem.  I've got the same version of Pale Moon (24.2.2 x64) on Win7 and Win8.1, on Win7 the F3/Shift-F3 keys work to step through a Quick Find search but on Win8.1 they don't.

EDIT:  Dammit!  Looks like it's a add-on ... now I gotta find which one  :-\

@Miles: Have you tried starting Pale Moon in Safe Mode, (hold down shift when starting), to see if it still happens?

EDIT2: And it turns out it's Tab Mix Plus (0.4.1.2.02) that's eating my F3 hotkey - worked fine under Win7.  What's interesting is that Tab Mix Plus doesn't have the F3 key defined.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:31 AM by 4wd »

PhotoComiX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:59 AM »
 :) Thank !
yes i forgot to say that i am running Windows 7 , so a 64bit system

I saw the replies just now , i just got the file and i am reading the README just now

But if you have a series of actions you need to perform to save your data a macro record/playback program might work better for you.  Stuff like Firefox restart works because it's inside the program and can read what tabs are open etc..

i hope rerun may solve i like keep simple ...anyway in case you have some suggestion on  macro record/playback programs?  I never used any till now

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:48 AM »
I haven't tried much in the way of record playback as I get frustrated if I miss a click and have to start again.  This page has some candidates:
www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-hotkey-macro-recorder-utility.htm

also others may suggest some they have used.  On the Gizmo site often there's a gem "hidden" in the user comments.  I always read through those as often a suggested utility is better than those in the actual article.

Edit: what you may run into using ReRun is that it has a good chance to invoke the program with the same command line args but if stuff was done after, such as loading new files in an editor etc, it has no way to detect the state of the program.  But it may work out for some programs.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:56 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:50 AM »
@4wd it's not TMP for me as I don't use it.  I tend to start with the same bunch of tabs and so use Browser Bunch to load a particular browser.