topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tip: Fast saving of html pages in Firefox by renaming them with a short name  (Read 10169 times)

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

Here is a tip that I use daily and which saves me a lot of time and troubles. ;)

The idea : I read many articles online and I have the habit to save them (I used "CTRL+S"+"Enter" before).
I need to do it fast (only one mouse gesture and a click).
And when I do my backup archives once a month (zip files saved on dvds and hard drives), I need to avoid errors later (usually during unzipping when I have some small files with path longer than the 260 characters limit on Windows Xp see here).

Here is the setting part (this is a little long but it saves so much time later ;) ) :
You need :
- Firefox
- and these two Firefox addons :
Imacros
http://www.iopus.com...s/firefox/?ref=fxmoz
FireGestures
http://www.xuldev.org/firegestures/

1) create 2 new imacros files (adapt the path "C:\.." to your own saving folder path) :
01autosaveclose.iim

VERSION BUILD=6240709 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
SAVEAS TYPE=CPL FOLDER=C:\Users\David\Desktop\savingfolder\OT FILE={{!NOW:yyyymmdd_hhnnss}}
TAB CLOSE  

02autosave.iim

VERSION BUILD=6240709 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
SAVEAS TYPE=CPL FOLDER=C:\Users\David\Desktop\savingfolder\OT FILE={{!NOW:yyyymmdd_hhnnss}}

2) (once imacro module openned) right click on 01autosaveclose.iim (same for 02autosave.iim) and "add to bookmark"

3) right click on your new firefox bookmarks (see "bookmarks" menu at the top of firefox) and add a shortcut (right click on the bookmark + left click on "property")

For first bookmark, I advise the keyword : 01autosaveclose
For second bookmark , I advise the keyword : 02autosave

4) open Firegestures options, go into the second tab called "Mapping" [note: before you may have to remove gestures "D" (= "down") and "L" (= "left") if they are already used]. Then choose, "add a script".

name : 01autosaveclose
script : loadURI(getShortcutOrURI('01autosaveclose',{}));
getShortcutOrURIAndPostData('01autosaveclose').then(function(result) {
  loadURI(result.url);
});
gesture : D

Do the same for another script :
name : 02autosave
script : loadURI(getShortcutOrURI('02autosave',{}));
getShortcutOrURIAndPostData('02autosave').then(function(result) {
  loadURI(result.url);
});
gesture : L

Results :
Right click on your mouse + down mouse gesture = autosave current htm(l) page + close it
Example : file saved :  "20100820_095428.htm" (date and time) + corresponding folder name including images,etc...

or
Right click on your mouse + left mouse gesture = autosave current htm(l) page (without closing it)

Hope this helps ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:59 AM by jity2 »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,
Yes I know about ScrapBook but I prefer far more my solution in my case (my collection of webpages being to big for my computer). ;)
See ya ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For my part I do this manually :
https://www.donation...opic=23782.msg215928
@jity2 I don't think I had seen your post about this. Thanks for referring to it in the other discussion thread.

Could you explain please:
With your method, how do you file and index the saved pages for easy/fast lookup or reference at a later stage?

I have been using Scrapbook for this for a couple or few years and have a very large amount of saved data on my hard drive, in a single Scrapbook library. (I have tried splitting it into separate libraries, but it is a bit tedious to manage then.)
The Scrapbook Library is non-proprietary, so I can search in it using either Scrapbook's index/search function, or the Windows Desktop Search. However, I would always be interested in a simpler/faster method of saving and searching/retrieving saved web pages if you had one.

Could you do what you do without using iMacros? I avoided using that a few years back after discovering that it installed some kind of adware Trojan.

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,
"Could you explain please:
With your method, how do you file and index the saved pages for easy/fast lookup or reference at a later stage?"

Each months I zip my saved folders (one per day) and save them on dvd. I also do unzipping in my main archive folder (year/month).
Then I use Copernic Desktop Search Pro (recommended imho if you have x millions files) so I can do text searches in my archives.

See ya ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thankx. I shall play around with that approach.

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dear all,
I have updated the Firegestures script today as it didn't work with Firefox 25 !

I had the error :
"ReferenceError: getShortcutOrURI is not defined"
Thanks to https://bugzilla.moz...ow_bug.cgi?id=938401 for the help. ;)

I hope this helps  ;)

See ya ;)