topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opinions wanted: Best SVN client for use on a Mac  (Read 7169 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Opinions wanted: Best SVN client for use on a Mac
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:36 AM »
Hey guys and gals,

I'd better ask your opinion on this matter:
Background info
We're a development shop, that uses mostly Windows to develop software (client- and server-side), written in Java, C#, Cobol, Progress, C++, html5/Javascript, Delphi and Modula (most projects only use a subset of these ;)) and deploy that on Windows, HP-UX and Redhat Linux.
We use several SVN repositories for source storage and versioning.
For some of these applications we also develop apps for iOS, that need to be developed on a Mac, and for Andoid, that can nicely be developed on Windows.
On Windows we use the 'native' IDE's for the development languages named above, that all come with integrated/plug-in SVN support, like Eclipse, NetBeans and Visual Studio, or use TortoiseSVN from Windows Explorer for update/commit/merge/diff.

The dilemma
The (small) department that develops using the Mac now asked my department (Software Engineering) for a (single) license of SmartSVN to be able to update/commit directly from the Mac to the SVN repositories. Knowing nearly nothing about development on Mac I did some research to find that this tool requires a recurring licensing cost that we'd like to avoid, I suggested them to try and use Eclipse with the Subversive plug-in, as is our default choice on Windows/Eclipse.

Your advice requested
Who has experience with development on Mac, using SVN as a source repository, and can give some advice in this matter?
I have 2 goals here: 1) We'd prefer to have an open source/free solution, but if there is some edge in using SmartSVN (the team is pushing in that direction, because 'it was investigated and found to be good'), I'd be very interested to hear from you. And 2) We'd like to use one of the already known/familiar tools so switching developers will be as smooth/easy as possible.

Tools/solutions I've found so far:

TIA!

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opinions wanted: Best SVN client for use on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:29 PM »
I have no experience with any of the tools on your list. Nevertheless, I can give an opinion on one of them:

Cornerstone by zennaware is being co-developed by a former teammate of mine (he's one of the founders and owners of zennaware). I can tell you that he's a very talented and dedicated programmer. I have no doubt that Cornerstone must be an excellent piece of software and well worth its price.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15 PM »
this tool requires a recurring licensing cost that we'd like to avoid

I believe that you are mistaken that a recurring license fee is required. From the purchase page of SmartSVN (I wasn't aware that WANdisco had acquired this software):

Your purchase includes:

- A permanent license-key for the current version of SmartSVN Professional
   - One year of free updates (independent of version numbers)

So, you need to pay annually to keep getting upgrades, but if you're content with the software and don't need new features, then there's no requirement to pay the annual upgrade fee.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17 AM »
...Knowing nearly nothing about development on Mac I did some research to find that this tool requires a recurring licensing cost that we'd like to avoid...

Isn't that half the Apple experience? Always overpaying again and again? Aren't you kind of robbing them of the authentic Apple experience?

(Sorry - couldn't resist! :D)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker