topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195916 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm glad to hear that preliminary reports are favorable.  I'm sure there will be some tweaking needed but it looks like the basic solution is viable.

Let me clarifying a bit since I keep saying these fixes are for "high-dpi" monitors.

It would be more precise to say that these fixes are to make the app look the way it should for people who have configured the "TEXT SIZE" in windows display settings to be larger than 100%.

In practice, windows suggests such "text size" enlargement for people who have very high resolution monitors (3000x2000 or in that range).

With the text size setting at something larger than 100%, programs are supposed to use larger text fonts and icons so that they are more readable even with the high resolution of the monitor.
Prior to this new release, Screenshot Captor (and my other apps), would ignore the windows "text size" enlargement setting, resulting in dialog windows with the "normal" sized fonts and icons, which could look quite small on these high-resolution monitors.

So.. Bottom line is that the new releases of my software meant to be compatible with high-dpi monitors, are really all about being compatible with Windows "text size" magnifications larger than 100%.   You shouldn't see any change if your setting for text magnification is at 100% (NOTE: If you want to experiment with this setting you MUST logout/reboot after changing it or SC and other apps will not properly adjust).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:07 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you folks who are testing this post your text magnification setting and what OS you are using?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
3000x2000 currently @ 200% on W10 Pro 64bit.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just pulled up SSC options and things are a bit small in the previous version.

SSCapture.PNGLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:57 AM by cranioscopical »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...but the new version is much improved

SS2Capture.PNGLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022

:Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The latest beta includes some substantial under-the-hood GUI changes to support high-dpi monitors (where your Windows display settings are set to > 100% text size).

I'm hoping that this does not result in any oddities for normal windows users -- please let me know if anything looks off!

A number of other smaller changes are also included in this beta.

v4.19.1 BETA - Mar 11, 2017
  • [MajorFeature] First High-dpi compatible version beta.
  • [Feature] Added option to control whether an override filename specified in the post-capture pop-up dialog will always be used as the full filename (new default; see post-cap options tab) or whether it will be used as the %quickfield% field if present in the filename template (old behavior).
  • [BugFix] Custom filename and comment is no longer cleared after each action on the post-capture pop-up dialog.
  • [Feature] You can now use %APPDRIVE% and other replacement fields when specifying screenshot folder in options.
  • [Feature] Workaround for trying to UNDO when using arrow tool.
  • [Feature] Added option in uploader to preserve log across runs, and to copy log to clipboard.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FHD 15.6" screen; fonts @125%
[beta] Options text a lot bigger -- fine for me, still a little smaller than the couple of other apps I looked at.
Tooltips are a good size.

mine is Windows 7 x64

On first look/try, new beta is good
The only quirk I've seen, and it's tiny, is the bolded text is slightly cut off at the bottom.

Screenshot - 2017-03-12 , 00_44_44.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks tomos, will fix.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ScreenshotCaptor - v4.19.1 Beta - idiosyncrasies/improvements.
« Reply #608 on: March 14, 2017, 02:24 AM »
@mouser: This isn't about bugs per se, but more about SC idiosyncrasies and suggested improvements. If you are tinkering with SC then you might like to consider improving the ergonomics of the SC GUI in the Options pane - and I was thinking here of the logic for navigation of the LHS tree in particular.

Where relevant, the notes below are prioritised thus:
Priority rating:
  • "A" - Mandatory.
  • "B" - Highly desirable.
  • "C" - Nice-to-have.

Some observations:
  • Scrolling up/down the tree using the mousewheel, or chiral scrolling on the touchpad is apparently not supported. It would probably be a nice-to-have (Priority C) if this was supported, but may be overdue given the life of the product to date.

• The user is unable to click on and select any of the 4 main headings and have the cursor highlight actually rest on them. This seems counter-intuitive - i.e., the cursor highlight would be expected to rest on the item selected, not somewhere else.

• Instead, clicking on any closed heading expands the group of sub-components nested below that heading, leaving the cursor highlight resting on the first of the subheadings by default. This can be momentarily confusing to the user as it makes an assumption that this is what might be required, whereas the user may in fact typically just want to view the sub-components before selecting any (or none, as required). This seems counter-intuitive.

• The subheading required by the user has to be selected/changed either by direct mouse selection (this seems OK), or by scrolling down (cursor down) from that point, but this latter method is not efficient and the user is obliged to tediously scroll down, as described in the next point below.

• If the user scrolls (cursor down) to the bottom of that group, the next group below is expanded (if it is closed) and by default the cursor selection highlight goes to the first sub-component of that group (cannot be the heading, as noted above). This makes an assumption about what the user might want, again, and seems counter-intuitive - e.g., the user may in fact require to go to a group below that group, but is obliged to have to then either move hand to the mouse to change selection, or to tediously scroll down the whole obligatory opened group - and any subsequent intervening groups below - in  linear fashion, to get to the group where they want to go.

• Once the cursor is in that position, the main heading for that subheading cannot be closed/rolled-up until the cursor highlight is resting within another subheading. This seems counter-intuitive.

• The groups under each of the main headings can also all be expanded/closed by clicking on the animated ">" sign on the LHS of the tree - that is all except for one group, which is whichever group the cursor selection highlight happens to be currently situated in. So one of the groups must always remain expanded. This seems counter-intuitive.

• The cursor selection highlight can be moved down the tree (cursor down) - i.e., down a group and into the next group - in the non-intuitive manner as described above, but not up. The cursor selection highlight can only be moved up within the group where it is currently residing, up to the first item in that group, whereupon it hits a ceiling, above which it cannot travel. I think this may be a mistake rather than a bug.  It seems counter-intuitive, anyway, and inconsistent.

• Suggestion #1: A more intuitive approach where the cursor selection highlight be allowed to move freely (unrestricted) up and down the entire tree, with cursor left jumping up to the main heading for that group, and if the cursor selection highlight is on a group heading, then cursor left closes the group if it is expanded (or, if closed, then goes to a superior heading if there is one) and cursor right expands it (or, if already expanded, then does nothing), and the highlight rests on the group heading after that.

• Suggestion #2: Ctrl+Home/Ctrl+End moves cursor selection highlight to the top/bottom item heading of the tree, respectively.

• Suggestion #3: Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDn moves cursor selection highlight to the next item heading above/below, respectively.

I don't claim this to be an exclusive list, but it might be useful as a starter for thinking, at least.
The above are not so much opinions, but based on learned good/"best" practice in ergonomic design and what I have found to be intuitive/useful, from practical implementation/experience. From a work-study perspective, I am always interested in and consider the ergonomics of tools that are regularly used, though I am aware that many people (including users and programmers) might not give the matter much thought.

It might be worthwhile considering the standardisation of whatever GUI ergonomics you settle for in the SC Options panel case, for the Options panels across the mouser range of software (just as you seem to be standardising the DPI settings).
In the case of CHS, there is also the Tree pane in the GUI to consider, which could benefit from being made consistent with similar standardisation - in fact, the CHS Tree pane already seems to be part-way there.

My ideal of tree navigation has largely been drawn from specific use-cases - e.g., the particularly thoughtfully-designed navigation of InfoSelect v8, which navigates the tree intuitively and efficiently using the cursor keys.

I would distinguish between, and suggest that design should cater for, the various HIDs (human inteface devices) that the user might need and have at his/her disposal, and the constraints that the user might be labouring under - e.g., environmental/physical constraints, including ambient light, RSI, handedness, disability, vision impairment.
For HIDs, I especially look for a UI that allows for keyboard use and mouse and touchpad use. This was learned from the experience of having to re-engineer and provide a safe and productive working environment for one of my staff, years ago, who suddenly developed a severe and debilitating form of arthritis at the age of 24. Sometimes, simply moving a finger was a painful challenge. I later myself started to suffer from acute RSI and though it is well under control now (a copper bracelet fixed it and more), I still have to avoid using a mouse for prolonged periods, though a touchpad is fine, but in many applications I find the keyboard to be the optimum - an efficient and ergonomically friendly interface and the one that least aggravates the RSI.

Hope all this can be of help/use.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The cursor selection highlight can be moved down the tree (cursor down) - i.e., down a group and into the next group - in the non-intuitive manner as described above, but not up. The cursor selection highlight can only be moved up within the group where it is currently residing, up to the first item in that group, whereupon it hits a ceiling, above which it cannot travel. I think this may be a mistake rather than a bug.  It seems counter-intuitive, anyway, and inconsistent.

was wanting to ask about that lately :up:

@IainB
Re clicking on Headings showing first sub-item:
is initially a mini-surprise of sorts, but once that is accepted, it is an efficient way of moving on to the sub-items.
The only alternative I see would be to show a list of the sub-items in the main pane when you click on a Heading. (Which hardly seems worth it to me.)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you check out the FARR options dialog, it lets you click on parent node which just shows a line of text telling you to choose a child page.  This lets you move up and down the tree hierarchy with keyboard.
I can make SC work like that.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@mouser: Yes, the FARR Option pane navigation is dead simple, and is similar to CHS.
That would probably be a good approach to standardise for SC too - i.e., keep the tree expanded/open (and not collapsible) at all times, and remove the fiddly closing/opening of item headings - which functionality seems to be superfluous as the fully opened tree fits in the LHS part of the Options pane just fine. You'd save some space in the LHS as well, as the animated ">" column would be redundant and could be removed.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good idea, I will make the change.

Cocoa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, mouser!

Long time no talk.  :) Hope you're doing well. You probably don't remember me though we exchanged several emails and messages with discussions back and forth a long time ago when I first joined; but then you likely talk to everyone.  :D

Came back to DC here (<- is that the generally accepted acronym?) to once again resolve some small software needs, and decided to pop in this thread as well with a feature request. Hope you don't mind ;)

Is it possible to add support for the file formats BPG and WebP? They've both been out for a good while now (though still not that popularized due to lack of software support), and the image comparison tool here shows a far superior image quality as well as file size ratio. I'm always about optimization and efficiency; not to mention for someone who deals with a lot of screenshots with a limited disk space, this is especially of interest.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to add support for the file formats BPG and WebP? They've both been out for a good while now (though still not that popularized due to lack of software support), and the image comparison tool here shows a far superior image quality as well as file size ratio.

this off-topic, just to say that the difference there between BPG and JPG is very impressive
Tom

Cocoa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to add support for the file formats BPG and WebP? They've both been out for a good while now (though still not that popularized due to lack of software support), and the image comparison tool here shows a far superior image quality as well as file size ratio.

this off-topic, just to say that the difference there between BPG and JPG is very impressive
Yep. Too bad I still can't find a single image viewing/management software that supports BPG. Or at least one that is of decent functionality anyway. IrfanView has at least added support for WebP through a plugin, so I thought if I can't get BPG, at least WebP would be better than nothing. Both are better than JPG in many ways (WebP also supports lossless), though in terms of lossy, BPG is better than both by bounds and leaps.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New official update:

v4.20.1 - Mar 24, 2017
  • [MajorFeature] First High-dpi compatible version beta.
  • [Feature] Added option to control whether an override filename specified in the post-capture pop-up dialog will always be used as the full filename (new default; see post-cap options tab) or whether it will be used as the %quickfield% field if present in the filename template (old behavior).
  • [BugFix] Custom filename and comment is no longer cleared after each action on the post-capture pop-up dialog.
  • [Feature] You can now use %APPDRIVE% and other replacement fields when specifying screenshot folder in options.
  • [Feature] Workaround for trying to UNDO when using arrow tool.
  • [Feature] Added option in uploader to preserve log across runs, and to copy log to clipboard.
  • [BugFix] Right-click to pan/drag was not working right in object mode.
  • [BugFix] Zoom level label was sometimes not updating if no images were found at startup.

goozak

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Feature] Added option to control whether an override filename specified in the post-capture pop-up dialog will always be used as the full filename (new default; see post-cap options tab)

I can't seem to find this option after updating to 4.20.1...  Looking in "Edit", "Preferences" ("Screenshot Captor Options"), "Basic Capturing", "Post-Capture Options" — is that the right place ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's in a weird place -- it's on the "Quick Bar and Post Cap" tab, which is the second one down in "Advanced Tweaking."

The option you want is "Override filename bypasses quickfield".

goozak

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it's on the "Quick Bar and Post Cap" tab

Dang it !  I looked at those tabs for so long, trying to fin another "Post-Cap"...   :-\

It might be a good idea to implement a Preference Search — a search field above the 'tabs' tree that reduces the tabs listed to those that contain the searched text.   ;)
For example, typing "quickfield" would only show the "File Naming" & "Quick Bar and Post Cap" tabs (and any other that has it).

Anyway, thanks for the great software !    :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's my fault, the help is very unclear about where it is. I will fix.

And yes, I do need to add a preference search function.

dbareis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Since it was released I have been trying the "Download v4.20.1" link at "https://www.donation...hotcaptor/index.html", it always fails, clearing cache etc makes no difference, I normally used Chome (on WIN10 64 bit) but it also fails using the IE and Edge browsers generally around 40%

Am I the only one with this issue?  I don't have download issues for anything else I download.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That sometimes happens with a browser being stupid and failing with a partial file, but my normal reply is to tell the person to try a different browser.. But you seem to have already done that...  I just tried downloading the file and it works fine here.  It could be some kind of proxy with your web provided.. Maybe try downloading it with some fake stuff at the end of the url to bypass any proxy, like:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/downloads/ScreenshotCaptorSetup.exe?dummy=123

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Something's gone a bit odd with the text frame handling in this version -- if you set an inner colour for the frame, it seems to need a double-click inside the frame to make it happen. I think changes used to be instant...?
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It seems to work fine for me.