topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195757 times)

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can anybody replicate this?

I'm using Screenshot Captor v2.82.01 - June 1st, 2010 on Vista Home Premium with a user account, UAC On.  I've hit what seems to be a weird bug.  SSC locks up when I use Shift-PrtScr = Grab selected Region.  I make a screenshot, SSC makes its capture sound, and the New Screenshot window (at least I think that's its title - the buttons on the title bar obscure it) pops up.  At that point, SSC locks up and I have to forcibly terminate it.  I didn't try scrolling region or repeat last, but all the other methods seem OK.  This behaviour mostly happens if Shift-PrtScr is the FIRST capture.  That is, if I tried other methods first, it usually, but not always, works as expected; sometimes it locks up even if I have tried another capture method first.  I think Red Box mode may have a problem?  Something like this happened with the beta, but I think earlier versions were OK.

I'm experiencing a similar issue with v2.82.01 on Windows XP.  If I try a Ctrl+Shift+Print Screen and then use Ctrl+Click to capture, Screenshot Captor will lock up if I use the Pop Up Choice dialog.  I then have to Alt+Tab to the Pop Up Choice dialog and hit Esc to cancel.  If I use the Minimized mode it works fine.

octaedro7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are the scrolling windows capture issues fixed on ver 2.82.01?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
no recent work has been done on scrolling capture yet i'm afraid.  :(

octaedro7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.83.02 - Aug 7, 2010
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Minor Update:

v2.83.02 - August 7th, 2010
  • [BugFix] Fixed exception error that could occur when capturing screens with near-fullscreen active windows (e.g. Windows Media Player), caused by strange active window region coordinates.
  • [Feature] SC Now warns you the first time it sees you are trying the auto-move-old-screenshots feature and tells you where to find the options for it.
  • [BugFix] Some of the copy path to clipboard options and actions were occasionally copying the PREVIOUS filename to the clipboard.
  • [BugFix] Active window capture on Windows 7 could crash occasionally(!)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
minor update:
v2.84.01 - August 18th, 2010
  • [HelpFile] Updated the information on using Ctrl+Shift trick with the MoveTo menu, and changed behavior slightly -- thanks lanux!
  • [MinorFeature] Browse for new screenshot folder now lets you put in path manually if you want.
  • [BugFix] If you switch or rename image files while editing a text box object on a newly created text box, you lose the text.
  • [MinorFeature} You can now hold the Ctrl key while using the "move to.." menu item

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
minor update:
v2.84.01 - August 18th, 2010

thanks mouser! it works well now.. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks to lanux for finding all the bugs fixed in this latest release!

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the update, mouser.

One thing:
I am a bit confused how to control what SSC copies to the clipboard. I found that the Shortcut CTRL+C works in a different way than using the menu item "Copy image/object to clipboard (CTRL+C)". Shouldn't they do the same?

Using the menu item created two kinds of bitmaps: "Device Independent Bitmap" and just "Bitmap" while CTRL+C creates just a "packet". To paste an image into e.g. an HTML mail I have to always use the menu.

And, additionally, it would be nice if we could set up, what and what not to copy to the clipboard. When both kinds of the above mentioned bitmaps are in the clipboard there's a default action when pasting and that's normally the Device Independent Bitmap, which resizes ugly in HTML mails or RTF pages. So there's always the need to first select which one to copy and choose just "Bitmap".

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another two additions:
• in the newest version the keyboard-shortcut seems to be completely without function.

• To use screenshots I made with Screenshot Captor I usually copy the screenshot to the clipboard, then paste it into Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/). Then, in Paint.NET I again copy it into the clipboard and now I am able to paste it into every application that supports embedded images (like Office, RTF, HTML-Mails etc). I make the detour with Paint.NET because I found that this app reliably copies a format into the clipboard that seems to be widely compatible and doesn't resize the image in an ugly way when pasted. Maybe you could take a look what this app does and check against SSC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How come nobody told me how badly SC handled network screenshot paths?
New beta version -- hopefully i haven't broken anything in the process:

v2.86.04 beta - September 28th, 2010
  • [MinorFeature] The active window filename fields that can be used in file naming or info templates now do not include the file extension (.exe)
  • [BugFix] Adding an image caption was not setting file dirty, and so not prompting you to save changes if you select a new image.
  • [MinorFeature] Trying to get SC to handle network paths (start with //) better for screenshot and moveto directories.
  • [MinorFeature] Tools directory is rescanned and tools refreshed after closing the Edit Tools dialog (saves you from having to exit program and restart).

See link to beta in first post.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks mouser for the network path fix and the rest! 8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for finding all the bugs!  ;D

greynite

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 for this issue

Thanks for the update, mouser.

One thing:
I am a bit confused how to control what SSC copies to the clipboard. I found that the Shortcut CTRL+C works in a different way than using the menu item "Copy image/object to clipboard (CTRL+C)". Shouldn't they do the same?

Using the menu item created two kinds of bitmaps: "Device Independent Bitmap" and just "Bitmap" while CTRL+C creates just a "packet". To paste an image into e.g. an HTML mail I have to always use the menu.

And, additionally, it would be nice if we could set up, what and what not to copy to the clipboard. When both kinds of the above mentioned bitmaps are in the clipboard there's a default action when pasting and that's normally the Device Independent Bitmap, which resizes ugly in HTML mails or RTF pages. So there's always the need to first select which one to copy and choose just "Bitmap".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.88.01 - Oct 8, 2010
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2010, 06:40 PM »
v2.88.01 - October 8, 2010
  • [MinorFeature] Exe version info will now be synchronized with official program version info; should make it easier to use 3rd party update checkers.
  • [MinorFeature] The active window filename fields that can be used in file naming or info templates now do not include the file extension (.exe)
  • [BugFix] Adding an image caption was not setting file dirty, and so not prompting you to save changes if you select a new image.
  • [MinorFeature] Trying to get SC to handle network paths (start with //) better for screenshot and moveto directories.
  • [BugFix] Copying image with transparency to clipboard left big black areas where semi-transparency should be.
  • [MinorFeature] Tools directory is rescanned and tools refreshed after closing the Edit Tools dialog (saves you from having to exit program and restart).

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2010, 10:10 PM »
v2.88.01 - October 8, 2010
[MinorFeature] Trying to get SC to handle network paths (start with //) better for screenshot and moveto directories
I haven't tried this feature, but don't network paths (I am assuming UNC paths) start with \\ rather than //?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2010, 04:29 AM »
oops, thanks for pointing that out. it's correct in the code just not in changelog.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54 AM »
Small addition to the clipboard scaling problem (forgot to mention that):
When I take the route over Paint.NET to avoid unwanted scaling of pasted images, in SSC I choose "Edit" > "Copy Image/Object to clipboard", switch to Paint.NET and paste it there. It is pasted  as a selected object so I can directly choose "Crop" to set the image dimensions to the object dimensions. Then I hit CTRL-A to select the whole image and copy it to the clipboard. Then it is pasted with the right dimensions and without distortion.

So it seems in SSC would be an additional step required to make the object boundaries match the image boundaries to make all copied images paste without distortion. Some target applications seem to do that for themselves (like Photoshop) but when you test with Wordpad you can see what I mean.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09 PM »
sorry for delay in responding xcopy -- i'm not quite sure i understand the issue, could you try to restate it?

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Hi mouser,

on my first PC I couldn't reproduce this although I saw this for years.
But on my second PC the effect still exists.

I made a video so that you can see what I mean:
1. I am creating a screenshot, SCC copies it to the clipboard automatically
2. Paste it in WordPad --> ugly resized
3. Paste it in Paint.NET, crop it there and copy it to the clipboard
4. Paste it in WordPad --> correctly resized

http://screencast.com/t/SM0j32mF1HE

greynite

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2010, 01:05 PM »
I did some more testing of my "pasted images are too big" -- at fault were the default zoom of Word / Outlook. Once I reset them all to 100 the images displayed correctly.

FWIW I also munged the DPI settings in SC editor, and the resulting "pasted" images displayed appropriately (e.g. 96 default, 80 DPI was big, 120 DPI smaller), so the DPI settings are migrating through the clipboard correctly also.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Brilliant find, when I recorded the video that setting was on 72 dpi.
A 96 dpi setting seems to do the trick   :up:

Thanks!

emcemc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03 AM »
Hi all, Does the below '' BUG "" also happened to you ?

A normal screen capture I want to make,
I right lick the TV icon, select grab select region. Then PROBLEM START....
the monitor suddenly enlarged itself !!! ( I am now trying to attach the pic here)
the area I supposed to capture of course if way out of the foucus.

Is there anything I should set correctly or it is still a kind of bug behavior against the latest version 2.88 with Window 7 64bit ?

Thanks all.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38 AM »
No idea about that specific problem but I am running SCC 2.88.01 on Win7 x64 without any issues.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2010, 09:31 AM »
hi emcemc, that is very strange!

Does it happen when you do other types of capture?
Does it happen if you use the shift+PrtScr keyboard shortcut to start a region capture?

ps. i will probably split this thread off into a separate topic, so look for it in Screenshot Captor section.